Thread: Wild Snake question

Wild Snake question

As I was traipsing through the woods yesterday, I started wondering where snakes go in the winter? Last summer and fall, I know we had copperheads and various other snakes on our property. Where are they now? Should I be concerned about stepping on them in the mounds of leaves? Should I be concerned where I stick my hands in outbuildings? I have never given it much thought until now. Thanks for any information.
    "It's nice to be important but it's also important to be nice."

Quote Originally Posted by frequentflier View Post
    As I was traipsing through the woods yesterday, I started wondering where snakes go in the winter? Last summer and fall, I know we had copperheads and various other snakes on our property. Where are they now? Should I be concerned about stepping on them in the mounds of leaves? Should I be concerned where I stick my hands in outbuildings? I have never given it much thought until now. Thanks for any information.
    Crevices, caves, anywhere that can offer them protection while they brumate. I wouldn't worry too much about mounds of leaves as, alone, they don't really provide much shelter from the cold. As to where you stick your hands, just be careful, though I wouldn't worry much as the snakes have slowed their activity to almost nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken King View Post
    Crevices, caves, anywhere that can offer them protection while they brumate. I wouldn't worry too much about mounds of leaves as, alone, they don't really provide much shelter from the cold. As to where you stick your hands, just be careful, though I wouldn't worry much as the snakes have slowed their activity to almost nothing.
    Thank you. I will watch where I stick my hands!

I always thought they migrated south.
    Don’t take criticism from someone you wouldn’t take advice from.

Thank you. I will watch where I stick my hands!
    Why did that just make me here at my desk?

They love the wood pile in the summer.
    Having too much ammunition in the house is like having too much fuel in your aircraft; the only time you have too much is when you're on fire.

The Second Amendment "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    They love the wood pile in the summer.
    And I will definitely watch where I am putting my hands then!

And I will definitely watch where I am putting my hands then!
    I found a snake on my bed once!
    You have become responsible forever, for what you have tamed. "Antoine de Saint Exupery"

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.