Wild Snake question

frequentflier

happy to be living
As I was traipsing through the woods yesterday, I started wondering where snakes go in the winter? Last summer and fall, I know we had copperheads and various other snakes on our property. Where are they now? Should I be concerned about stepping on them in the mounds of leaves? Should I be concerned where I stick my hands in outbuildings? I have never given it much thought until now. Thanks for any information.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
As I was traipsing through the woods yesterday, I started wondering where snakes go in the winter? Last summer and fall, I know we had copperheads and various other snakes on our property. Where are they now? Should I be concerned about stepping on them in the mounds of leaves? Should I be concerned where I stick my hands in outbuildings? I have never given it much thought until now. Thanks for any information.

Crevices, caves, anywhere that can offer them protection while they brumate. I wouldn't worry too much about mounds of leaves as, alone, they don't really provide much shelter from the cold. As to where you stick your hands, just be careful, though I wouldn't worry much as the snakes have slowed their activity to almost nothing.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Crevices, caves, anywhere that can offer them protection while they brumate. I wouldn't worry too much about mounds of leaves as, alone, they don't really provide much shelter from the cold. As to where you stick your hands, just be careful, though I wouldn't worry much as the snakes have slowed their activity to almost nothing.

Thank you. I will watch where I stick my hands!