New GoDaddy Ad

SG_Player1974

They were thinking that most people do not like the predictability of these types of commercials! I, for one, thought it was pretty savvy of them to break the mold and try something different.

Although.... I do believe they need to drop Danica (the driver of the van) since she has all but spent her 15 minutes. Maybe if she were to actually WIN a race..... :shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The YouTube video has been made private and AdWeek says it's been pulled, so apparently GD got the message.

The ad is embedded at the bottom of the link page above ^. It's awful. Sad and somewhat gut-wrenching, from start to finish.

Now. Some ad person not only thought that up, but they ran it past other ad persons in copy meetings and such, AND GoDaddy approved it. The alternative is that some tweak at GD thought it up and forced it upon the ad agency rep, who produced the commercial against his/her better judgment (that actually happens a lot).

I have nothing against dog breeders and don't think people MUST! adopt a stray/shelter dog or burn in hell. But someone at GD or the ad agency had to have realized that this commercial was a bad idea, and not even in a "negative attention is good" way. People and their tunnel vision poor judgment never fails to astound me.

Last edited:

cricketmd

:yahoo: :yahoo: I didn't like it from start to finish. The puppy bouncing out the back of the pickup, his long plight to finally get home, and then only to be treated as a commodity as the lady only feels relief for financial gain because she just sold him, and then the poor thing is freighted off. wth? SMH They could still keep the cute puppy but tweak the ad for a website domain that houses lost puppies or something and had him get lost, not fly out the back of a moving truck bed, but lost and kept most their footage.

Last edited:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
The YouTube video has been made private and AdWeek says it's been pulled, so apparently GD got the message.

The ad is embedded at the bottom of the link page above ^. It's awful. Sad and somewhat gut-wrenching, from start to finish.

Now. Some ad person not only thought that up, but they ran it past other ad persons in copy meetings and such, AND GoDaddy approved it. The alternative is that some tweak at GD thought it up and forced it upon the ad agency rep, who produced the commercial against his/her better judgment (that actually happens a lot).

I have nothing against dog breeders and don't think people MUST! adopt a stray/shelter dog or burn in hell. But someone at GD or the ad agency had to have realized that this commercial was a bad idea, and not even in a "negative attention is good" way. People and their tunnel vision poor judgment never fails to astound me

I agree.

The commercial made me so sad for the puppy - the dig at Budweiser was totally lost on me. :boo:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It was a smack to Budweiser. Just hope the puppy got a good home.

But, how does THAT help what godaddy does???

Advertising has long fascinated me. What works, what doesn't. Piles and piles of great ideas that companies reject. Piles and piles of poor ads companies love. The home runs, the duds.

It just is amazing that ANYONE sat through the presentation of that, at the various stages, and folks kept approving it. I mean, the creators, we'd all be horrified at stuff they come up with that gets tossed really early on but, that's creativity. It goes, by definition, all over the place but, that something like this kept being passed on is fascinating.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I have nothing against dog breeders and don't think people MUST! adopt a stray/shelter dog or burn in hell. But someone at GD or the ad agency had to have realized that this commercial was a bad idea, and not even in a "negative attention is good" way. People and their tunnel vision poor judgment never fails to astound me.

I coulda just ditto'd that. :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
- the dig at Budweiser was totally lost on me. :boo:

Someone actually made the argument "So, we go after Budweiser, see, and that will help us sell our web page gig, see, because, they're Budweiser and we do web pages, see, and because of that, see, we then..."

Bay_Kat

Tropical
But, how does THAT help what godaddy does???

Advertising has long fascinated me. What works, what doesn't. Piles and piles of great ideas that companies reject. Piles and piles of poor ads companies love. The home runs, the duds.

It just is amazing that ANYONE sat through the presentation of that, at the various stages, and folks kept approving it. I mean, the creators, we'd all be horrified at stuff they come up with that gets tossed really early on but, that's creativity. It goes, by definition, all over the place but, that something like this kept being passed on is fascinating.

I don't think it does and in hindsight neither do they. I saw somewhere that the ad will no air and they feel bad for even making it. I think it was on the local news here this morning.

Every time I see an ad on TV I think would that make me buy or use their product/service? Nope. Most ads I've seen lately make me want to stay as far away from the company as possible. Geico? I'd never use them. Progressive, nope. I could go on all day. I pay for sirius so I don't have ads on my radio, I pay for cable, but still have ads on almost every channel. That will change soon.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I don't think it does and in hindsight neither do they. I saw somewhere that the ad will no air and they feel bad for even making it. I think it was on the local news here this morning.

Every time I see an ad on TV I think would that make me buy or use their product/service? Nope. Most ads I've seen lately make me want to stay as far away from the company as possible. Geico? I'd never use them. Progressive, nope. I could go on all day. I pay for sirius so I don't have ads on my radio, I pay for cable, but still have ads on almost every channel. That will change soon.

One of the realities of ads is that, by and large, people don't do it to promote THEIR business. They do it just because they do it. McDonald's could stop advertising RIGHT now, 100% just stop and their profits would go up by what they saved on ads. But, they are culturally invested in endless ads, that that is just part of what they do so, perception is reality. They think it works so, it must.

I mean, look at godaddy. The reason a bad ad made it that far is because of the argument that you HAVE to advertise to keep growing and you HAVE to keep growing or else. So, companies get bigger and bigger as others decline and the only change in the market place is not more hamburgers being sold but, who is selling them and ANY net gain for A is a loss for B and there is NO net gain in that for the general welfare. This is not all business's but, it is most of them. We used to be a nation of better mouse traps and that is still part of the equation but, a lot of business, especially big business, has nothing to do with the mouse trap and everything to do with market share of the mouse trap business.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
AND... GET OVER IT! All the boo-hoo'ers on here. I think there are greater things to fret about in today's world than a damn GoDaddy commercial.

Commercials have a message. This one is sad and bothers people. If it was a good ad and people were saying "I like that. It is appealing" would you be saying "Get over it! It's just a commercial!" Of course not. If it was dull and middling and people were saying "Anh, not inspired, not the worst I've seen, bleh..." would you be saying "Get it over it! It is just a commercial!!" Of course not.

You hate puppies, don't you?