Without government, who will license cab drivers?

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
http://www.eyeonannapolis.net/2015/...s-and-fines-to-uber-drivers-beginning-friday/

Mayor Michael Pantelides and other members of the Annapolis City Council are requesting that the City Manager Tom Andrews hold Uber responsible for not complying with the City Code. The city’s enforcement actions will be against the drivers, not Uber directly.

During Monday’s City Council meeting, City Attorney Mike Leahy said that Uber meets the Code definition as a taxicab operation under section 7 48 0208 B which defines a “Taxicab” as a motor vehicle for hire that is: a) designed to carry seven or fewer individuals including the driver; and b) used to accept or solicit passengers for transportation for hire between those points along highways in this city as the passengers request. According to 7.48.480 of the Annapolis City Code, no person shall operate any taxicab or vehicle used or solicit or pick up riders for fare in the City unless that person has a valid taxicab driver’s license to operate a taxicab under the provisions of this chapter.

This reminds me a lot of prostitution: a voluntary exchange of services that is it not illegal to do free of charge, yet if you collect money you have broken a law.

Yay for free markets!

FollowTheMoney

Prostitution is free.... somewhat.
I bypass paying them this way.... I give the girl a gift card to Outback, or a restaurant of her choice, and the receipt in case she wants to return it for a refund, for the night out we didn't have, but would have had, had she had the time to go. Sometimes it's a ($) McDonald's gift card, sometimes it's a ($$) Texas Roadhouse gift card. Maybe a ($$$) Ruth's Chriss Steak house gift card. And for the really special occasions that were missed, she will get a place like ($$$$) Del Frisco's. She, and some of her friends, really appreciate my generosity and choice of missed nights on the town. Isn't life grand?

nutz

Prostitution is free.... somewhat.
I bypass paying them this way.... I give the girl a gift card to Outback, or a restaurant of her choice, and the receipt in case she wants to return it for a refund, for the night out we didn't have, but would have had, had she had the time to go. Sometimes it's a ($) McDonald's gift card, sometimes it's a ($$) Texas Roadhouse gift card. Maybe a ($$$) Ruth's Chriss Steak house gift card. And for the really special occasions that were missed, she will get a place like ($$$$) Del Frisco's. She, and some of her friends, really appreciate my generosity and choice of missed nights on the town. Isn't life grand?

:killingme