16-year-old opens Md. bakery

Hank

my war
WASHINGTON — Most teenagers spend their free time engrossed in social media and selfies, but 16-year-old Bree Britt isn’t like most teenagers.

Every day at 3:50 p.m., Bree gets off the school bus at a small strip of storefronts on Livingston Road in Accokeek, Maryland. And under a white awning that reads “Bree’s Sweet Treats,” the teen transforms from high school student to business owner.

“Depending on how busy the day is and what we have to do for the next day, I’ll be here,” Bree says while sitting at a table in the café section of her store.

The St. Mary’s Ryken High School student opened her bakery in 2013 after launching a successful online baking business when she was 12. But Bree’s journey into crafting confections began long before she reached double digits.

http://wtop.com/food/2015/01/sweet-gig-16-year-old-opens-md-bakery/

SG_Player1974

She isn't selling Jordan's, so there won't be anything but congratulations in this thread.

Actually, unlike the sneaker store article, this one tells ZERO about how she came up with the scratch to open the store. It would have been nice to hear how she was able to go from home kitchen all the way to store kitchen.

However, EXACTLY like the sneaker store article, she should be proud of what she has accomplished.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
She isn't selling Jordan's, so there won't be anything but congratulations in this thread.

You don't know. She might be reselling stolen cupcakes.

Seriously, I think this is very cool. Curious how she manages her time, going to school down here while her store is clear up in Accokeek. We need cupcakes here, too, you know. :frown:

Chris0nllyn

Actually, unlike the sneaker store article, this one tells ZERO about how she came up with the scratch to open the store. It would have been nice to hear how she was able to go from home kitchen all the way to store kitchen.

However, EXACTLY like the sneaker store article, she should be proud of what she has accomplished.

:lol:

Good lord.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
very cool, Accoceek to St Marys Ryken and back makes for a long day i'm sure. ambitious girl, like it !!!!

Booboo3604

My sister and her fiancé were just telling me about this place and said I should check it out. She said its pretty good. Her fiancé was a fan of the coconut cupcakes. She mentioned they do wraps and salads too. Apparently Bree was the one who took care of her but she did not know that until I forwarded her the link to his article.

DEEKAYPEE8569

One Broke Girl.....hmmm, maybe the sitcom was an inspiration. :shrug:
If she sticks with it, and the clientele grows though, she might make a go of it. Hope it works out.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
The business, at its root, is a labor of love, explains the widow, who lost Breana’s father, Corey Britt, in 2013 after a long battle with a traumatic brain injury the Army soldier suffered during the Persian Gulf War. “Her dad always had entrepreneurial spirit and she gets that from him. He wanted us to have a family business so I think this is partly her way of honoring his memory.”

make ya love this story that much more !!!!!!!!!!!

FED_UP

My sister and her fiancé were just telling me about this place and said I should check it out. She said its pretty good. Her fiancé was a fan of the coconut cupcakes. She mentioned they do wraps and salads too. Apparently Bree was the one who took care of her but she did not know that until I forwarded her the link to his article.

I wonder if they have cannabis cup cakes.

Booboo3604

Attachments

• IMG_20150130_121748224.jpg
    IMG_20150130_121748224.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20150130_122117638.jpg
    IMG_20150130_122117638.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 120

1stGenSMIB

Seriously, I think this is very cool. Curious how she manages her time, going to school down here while her store is clear up in Accokeek. We need cupcakes here, too, you know. :frown:

Good on Bree, but yeah..Accokeek is a hike..For local, check out the cupcakes at Day's Off Deli. I think she delivers them fresh on Monday's. I know the girl (I say girl, she's in her 30's) that makes them...She's the weekday bartender at Texas Road House, but I am pretty sure she has contact info available at the deli too.

edit - I chatted with my friend yesterday..apparently the deal with Day's Off is well, off..if you want some local cupcakes, look Michelle up at Texas Roadhouse during the week.

Last edited:

bobbiecoda

Stopped by Bree's on Saturday and picked up some cupcakes. They are really good! Bree was the person who waited on us. Saturday at noon they had a limited selection but we filled up on Strawberry, Lime, Chocolate and Vanilla cupcakes. They are presented beautifully in clear containers which hold them nicely. I will be stopping in now and again. She does beautiful work. They look like works of art with the embelishments. I hope many of you will take the opportunity to try her offerings.