Dead Malls website

Hessian

http://deadmalls.com/index.html

Click on Dead Mall stories to search for your state,...and fond old malls that have died.
Yes, you will find Lanham in there too.

Weird to think that what was the norm 20 years ago is now a perfect set for the Walking Dead.

RPMDAD

Definitely remember Allentown, Capital Plaza, Landover, and Rockville malls in Md,. and remember Landmark mall in Va. Good post Hessian.

Hijinx

Allentown Mall was always hard to get in and out of.
It was rumored that when it was built it was meant to have an entrances off Rt 5, but somehow that fell through, and the only way in there was off Allentown Rd.. The roadway actually lined up with the backs of the stores and a single light off Allentown Rd was the only way out. I believe this contributed greatly to it's demise.

When Montgomery Wards closed up Capitol Plaza was doomed.
And of course the changing demographics and the crime that came with it closed Landover.

Don't know how Marlowe Heights survived LOL Maybe the Steak in a Sack saved it.

Hessian

I can imagine a aggressive Marketing/Economics major in college writing an analysis as to the reasons for the death of the "Mall age."
The problem is,...one of THE chief causes opens up charges of racism. That poor student would be battered by the PC police.

I looked up my '1970's malls'...a slow & painful death. (Upstate NY)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Definitely remember Allentown, Capital Plaza, Landover, and Rockville malls in Md,. and remember Landmark mall in Va. Good post Hessian.

:yay:

indeed

my family ate at the Chesapeake Bay Seafood place on a regular basis 79/82

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
while we are waxing nostalgic .....

Memco ? - Andrews / Fort Washington

Hechinger - all over

huge single screen movie theaters:

Oxon Hill - used to see Sat afternoon matinees for .50 [75-77]
Marlow Heights [ok this one wasn't huge but big 2 screens] I was Jedi there in 84

Bay_Kat

Tropical

Attachments

• Crystal-River-Mall-1.jpg
    Crystal-River-Mall-1.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 406

Hessian

One of my last visits to a dying Mall in NY was kind of humorous...While walking I realized we were surrounded by gray & blue headed folks...NONE were carrying a single purchase. Finally, we sat down at the end of one of the wings and I watched the pattern...they were all tromping around the mall to get their exercise! Doing laps. The only place actually doing a business was one of the older anchor theatres which still drew a tolerable crowd.

That being said....I honestly cannot remember how many YEARS ago I went to Waldorf Mall. From a little chatter on here,...sounds like there is a slow decline, and imported "diversity" from PG/DC.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
One of my last visits to a dying Mall in NY was kind of humorous...While walking I realized we were surrounded by gray & blue headed folks...NONE were carrying a single purchase. Finally, we sat down at the end of one of the wings and I watched the pattern...they were all tromping around the mall to get their exercise! Doing laps. The only place actually doing a business was one of the older anchor theatres which still drew a tolerable crowd.

That being said....I honestly cannot remember how many YEARS ago I went to Waldorf Mall. From a little chatter on here,...sounds like there is a slow decline, and imported "diversity" from PG/DC.

Mall Walkers, they actually have a club at the Waldorf mall, at least they did in 2006 or so.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I wish Beltway Mall would die. I worked in that mall during the early 80s when it was a cool place to hang out. Now the place has become a cesspool.

Hijinx

I only go to Waldorf Mall when I need to go to Sears, and I park on that end and get what I need.
Don't remember the last time I walked through it.

officeguy

I dont think the Deadmalls website has been updated in a couple of years.

10 years from now, there will be a couple of high-end malls with specialty stores left but most of the regular retail business will be shifted to the kind of open-air shop clusters that they are developing in Brandywine.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I dont think the Deadmalls website has been updated in a couple of years.

10 years from now, there will be a couple of high-end malls with specialty stores left but most of the regular retail business will be shifted to the kind of open-air shop clusters that they are developing in Brandywine.

I don't think so either, our Sears, Belks and JC Penney are gone, they put in a Rural King, which is a glorified Tractor Supply and even at the height of Christmas shopping season was empty of customers. Nothing will do good there except a few bulldozers.

H

Hodr

I can imagine a aggressive Marketing/Economics major in college writing an analysis as to the reasons for the death of the "Mall age."
The problem is,...one of THE chief causes opens up charges of racism. That poor student would be battered by the PC police.

I looked up my '1970's malls'...a slow & painful death. (Upstate NY)

I don't think it would be fair to blame changing demographics for the demise of the malls. Go to any modern thriving mall and see how many ballcap, sneaker, and sportswear shops you see. You may be trading the Hallmark and Spensor's for a beauty salon and a specialty clothing store, but I don't think the ability of the property to rent space to retailers would really be impacted.

I think I would blame the rise of Amazon, and dollar stores, combined with poor city planning and traffic for the decline.

RPMDAD

:yay:

indeed

my family ate at the Chesapeake Bay Seafood place on a regular basis 79/82

Yep, i was a regular at Chesapeake Bay Seafood myself, me and a couple buddies would hit at least 2 -3 times a month.

RPMDAD

while we are waxing nostalgic .....

Memco ? - Andrews / Fort Washington

Hechinger - all over

huge single screen movie theaters:

Oxon Hill - used to see Sat afternoon matinees for .50 [75-77]
Marlow Heights [ok this one wasn't huge but big 2 screens] I was Jedi there in 84

Definitely remember Memco and Hechingers. Lived in Birchwood City and used to go to the Oxon Hill theater.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Yep, i was a regular at Chesapeake Bay Seafood myself, me and a couple buddies would hit at least 2 -3 times a month.

I remember those days. When my Brother and I were in school, we would either go; just the four of us; or we'd go with friends. We were standing in the long line during one trip; the wind was howling, it was raining.....then a gust of wind blew out one of the upper windows (however big they were).....shattered glass flying; scared the crap out of everybody; but nobody left the line. that place was that good.....back then.

Hijinx

Anyone remember GEM?

I think it was GEM that started the membership card phenomenon.

Now you buy a membership at BJ's Sam's and Costco------- before you can receive their great savings. Last part is:sarcasm:

SamSpade

Anyone remember GEM?

I think it was GEM that started the membership card phenomenon.

Now you buy a membership at BJ's Sam's and Costco------- before you can receive their great savings. Last part is:sarcasm:

I get that - and you probably know that places like BJ's make their money primarily from membership fees, and not sales.
That said, I *know* beyond all doubt that I save more money on items I purchase there regularly than I ever pay in yearly membership.
Heck, when I had a child in diapers, diapers ALONE made it worth membership. I save enough just buying *gas* there.