Iraqis react to" American Sniper"

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"‘F*ck, shoot him! He has an IED, don’t wait for permission!!”
Mohammed, who lived through the events in Baghdad the film depicts, admits that scenes where women and children were killed were hard for him to watch. But all in all he liked the movie.

“I love watching war movies because especially now they give me the strength to face ISIS,” he said,

Yes, those Iraqis - how they hate us and our imperialism. How they long for the good old days of Saddam.....

:coffee:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and just assume you didn't read your whole link...

"But after just a week on screens, the Mansour Mall theater pulled the controversial war movie. A theater employee sitting at the box office says management made the decision “because the hero of this film boasts of killing more than 160 Muslims.”

It is worth noting that they didn't pull it because it depicted killing radicals or extremists or terrorists or savages. It was pulled because of the killing of...Muslims. But, hey. That's no reason to stop telling them to think what we think they should think.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and just assume you didn't read your whole link...

"But after just a week on screens, the Mansour Mall theater pulled the controversial war movie. A theater employee sitting at the box office says management made the decision “because the hero of this film boasts of killing more than 160 Muslims.”

It is worth noting that they didn't pull it because it depicted killing radicals or extremists or terrorists or savages. It was pulled because of the killing of...Muslims. But, hey. That's no reason to stop telling them to think what we think they should think.

I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and just assume you didn't read your post before you posted it.

"The management" pulled the movie. Not the audience members, the manager. One person made a call based on his opinion. Now, perhaps this manager is the Iraqi Al Sharpton or Cornell Brooks and speaks for the whole Iraqi community - and maybe even Muslims all over the world. If that's the case, he needs to get his peeps in line and hammer those talking points home a little better.

You *want* Iraqis to hate the US and mourn Saddam Hussein, in the face of all evidence to the contrary. Care to explain why?

Hijinx

I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and just assume you didn't read your post before you posted it.

"The management" pulled the movie. Not the audience members, the manager. One person made a call based on his opinion. Now, perhaps this manager is the Iraqi Al Sharpton or Cornell Brooks and speaks for the whole Iraqi community - and maybe even Muslims all over the world. If that's the case, he needs to get his peeps in line and hammer those talking points home a little better.

You *want* Iraqis to hate the US and mourn Saddam Hussein, in the face of all evidence to the contrary. Care to explain why?

Bush

SG_Player1974

That's interesting.... I don't remember one single time in the movie where his ~160 kills were directly called "Muslims."

Targets, kills, woman, child, not one mention of Muslim though... :whistle:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Really? Well, you know so much about what I want, why don't you save me the effort and tell me what I want right now?

:popcorn:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
"The management" pulled the movie. Not the audience members, the manager. One person made a call based on his opinion. Now, perhaps this manager is the Iraqi Al Sharpton or Cornell Brooks and speaks for the whole Iraqi community - and maybe even Muslims all over the world. If that's the case, he needs to get his peeps in line and hammer those talking points home a little better. ?

So, the manager could be all sorts of things as your imagination might desire, anything but representative of wider sentiment but, the young accountant with the fancy cloths is 'Every Man' Iraqi?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So, the manager could be all sorts of things as your imagination might desire, anything but representative of wider sentiment but, the young accountant with the fancy cloths is 'Every Man' Iraqi?

So you think the theater manager is representative of all Iraqis and the Iraqi guys quoted, not to mention all the Iraqis who crowded the theater, are US plants?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So you think the theater manager is representative of all Iraqis and the Iraqi guys quoted, not to mention all the Iraqis who crowded the theater, are US plants?

If this happened in America, if some college kid was like "Wow, man! Great movie! It's really kewl how the British put down those terrorists throwing that tea in the harbor!" and the management was like "Nope. We're not celebrating invaders killing American's in my theater..." whose side would you be on? The hippie? Or the business owner?

:popcorn:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If this happened in America, if some college kid was like "Wow, man! Great movie! It's really kewl how the British put down those terrorists throwing that tea in the harbor!" and the management was like "Nope. We're not celebrating invaders killing American's in my theater..." whose side would you be on? The hippie? Or the business owner?

#1, he's not the owner - he's just the manager.

#2, if it were a theater full of hippies vs. one manager, I'd come to the conclusion that hippies seem to enjoy the movie.

#3, we have over a zillion anti-America movies that play to packed houses in this country with no theater managers refusing to show them that I'm aware of. In fact, the more anti-America they are, the more likely they are to win major awards.

#4, if a theater owner chooses to not show a particular movie, I'd say that's his right. But that's not what we're talking about here.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why bother when I can just have you tell me what I think?

So all those posts you've made saying we should have never gone into Iraq; that Iraqis despise our imperialism; that George Bush is the root of all evil; etc etc etc - I should just disregard those because that's not what you really think?

I mean, thanks for the post count and banner views, but you really should put a disclaimer at the end that says, "The preceding post is not necessarily reflective of my opinion." You could make it your sig line for simplicity.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
#1, he's not the owner - he's just the manager.

#2, if it were a theater full of hippies vs. one manager, I'd come to the conclusion that hippies seem to enjoy the movie.

#3, we have over a zillion anti-America movies that play to packed houses in this country with no theater managers refusing to show them that I'm aware of. In fact, the more anti-America they are, the more likely they are to win major awards.

#4, if a theater owner chooses to not show a particular movie, I'd say that's his right. But that's not what we're talking about here.

#5 so, you think the owners want it shown and the manager simply didn't care what his bosses wanted?

#6 it's one theater. Let me know when Iraqi's are protesting nation wide not being able to see the deadliest sniper in US military history shoot Iraqi's.

#7 so, are you arguing this kid is anti Iraq and he's glad to see Iraqi's shot by American's or he is pro Iraq and is happy to so those radical/extremist/terrorist moms and kids wiped out by Americans so Iraq can be...free??? As long as US snipers are about to protect him?

#8 you can see anti American hippies enjoying anti American movies so, what is this kid, in your view? Anti Iraq? Pro Iraq? Pro America? Pro snipers? Just hates moms and little kids?

#9 are you willing to yet admit you didn't read your own link? :neener:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So all those posts you've made saying we should have never gone into Iraq; that Iraqis despise our imperialism; that George Bush is the root of all evil; etc etc etc - I should just disregard those because that's not what you really think?

I mean, thanks for the post count and banner views, but you really should put a disclaimer at the end that says, "The preceding post is not necessarily reflective of my opinion." You could make it your sig line for simplicity.

Stop it. Just stop. I've said this exactly 1 million times; Bush's mistake was not in going. It was in losing. That wars of liberation MUST always be an option for the US.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
#9 are you willing to yet admit you didn't read your own link? :neener:

Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I didn't read the story. Of course I read the story. How would I know what it says if I didn't read it? Duh.

Bush's mistake was not in going. It was in losing.

And here you go with that nonsense again. If you expected terrorism to be completely and totally wiped out - no terrorists left, not even in outer space or the Andromeda galaxy - then you were unrealistic and that's not George Bush's fault. Especially considering the subsequent administration and its policies.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I didn't read the story. Of course I read the story. How would I know what it says if I didn't read it? Duh.

s.

Well, your quote was from the first part and I would have thought that when you got to reading what I then quoted you would have thought that what you quote might not be so quote worthy.

'n ####. :neener:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
And here you go with that nonsense again. If you expected terrorism to be completely and totally wiped out - no terrorists left, not even in outer space or the Andromeda galaxy - then you were unrealistic and that's not George Bush's fault. Especially considering the subsequent administration and its policies.

No. Non sense would be trying to say I, of all people, ever said we should NOT have gone when I have said 1,000,002 times that the mistake was not in going but, in losing.

Bush made HUGE enormous mistakes that put at risk everyone in Iraq who was interested in Westernizing and liberalizing Iraq. We all, most of us, assumed that with Cheney and Powell and Rummy, we were going to go in kill everyone who needed it, break everything that needed breaking and, as we did with Germany and Japan, two very different cultures, IMPOSE our Western and liberal will on Iraq and get the same result. We were told Iraq was the place that had enough of a middle class, enough education for this to work and it may well have...had we been sincere with what we claimed we were doing.

And I don't ascribe to the 'terrorism' BS to me 'nither. I have written going on 2,000,000 times that we face FUNDAMENTALISTS. Not radicals. Not extremists. Not terrorists. We are at war with people who like their faith and their world simple and fundamental, just like their good book says. Maybe that is a huge part of why Dubbya ####ed it all up; he thought we were facing terrorists/radical/extremists? Certainly, that is what he thought but, he was wrong and when you don't even know what you're fighting, things can go awry.

So, again, our mistake was not in going. It was in losing. And part of the reason we lost, maybe the whole reason, is that we refused to accept that we were facing fundamentalists. Not terrorists. Not radicals. Not extremists. Fundamentalists. Like that mom who thought the American's were invading her home and there to destroy her way of life.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
- then you were unrealistic and that's not George Bush's fault. Especially considering the subsequent administration and its policies.

Bush's mistakes beget the catastrophe of Obama. People thought "well, if we're gonna have big gummint Democrats running things, may as well have the real thing..."