529 Plans and Taxes

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Obama's Retreating On That Whole "Screwing People Over With 529 Plans" Thing, And It Proves One Of My Theories About Americans...

Obama is abandoning plans to tax 529 accounts, y'all.

And get this - it wasn't just Republicans who are vehemently opposed to this blatant attack on middle class families (like ME) who are doing everything they can to scrimp and save for their kids' college tuition. It was Democrats, too. Nancy Pelosi was against this. NANCY FREAKING PELOSI. And Chris Van Hollen of Maryland who is the "ranking member of the Budget Committee." He, too, was like, "Grumpy Cat says no."

I'm assuming it's because people on BOTH sides of the aisle were flipping out over this plan - because MIDDLE CLASS PEOPLE ON BOTH SIDES OF THE AISLE see 529 plans as a viable way to actually SAVE for their kids' tuition. And people with Actual Brains know that it's not just coincidental that Obama wanted to all of a sudden tax folks' 529s on the heels of him wanting everyone to have FREEEEEE!!!!!! community college.

But I digress.

This is my favorite nugget from the source article:

"While the WH sought to portray the initial plan as taxing the wealthy to benefit the middle class, analysis indicated that a large number people who are far from “wealthy” were benefiting from the ability to put money away for their children’s higher education without fear of it being taxed."

Hijinx

Obama's Retreating On That Whole "Screwing People Over With 529 Plans" Thing, And It Proves One Of My Theories About Americans...

Obama is abandoning plans to tax 529 accounts, y'all.

And get this - it wasn't just Republicans who are vehemently opposed to this blatant attack on middle class families (like ME) who are doing everything they can to scrimp and save for their kids' college tuition. It was Democrats, too. Nancy Pelosi was against this. NANCY FREAKING PELOSI. And Chris Van Hollen of Maryland who is the "ranking member of the Budget Committee." He, too, was like, "Grumpy Cat says no."

I'm assuming it's because people on BOTH sides of the aisle were flipping out over this plan - because MIDDLE CLASS PEOPLE ON BOTH SIDES OF THE AISLE see 529 plans as a viable way to actually SAVE for their kids' tuition. And people with Actual Brains know that it's not just coincidental that Obama wanted to all of a sudden tax folks' 529s on the heels of him wanting everyone to have FREEEEEE!!!!!! community college.

But I digress.

This is my favorite nugget from the source article:

"While the WH sought to portray the initial plan as taxing the wealthy to benefit the middle class, analysis indicated that a large number people who are far from “wealthy” were benefiting from the ability to put money away for their children’s higher education without fear of it being taxed."

I am sure there are many Democrats in the Congress who would love to vote against this idiot President's schemes, but lack the courage to do so because off party threats. I cannot believe they are all of one mind.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
So does it sound like a part of a plan? He "gives us" the 529 plan so now we're ok with the rest of Obamas plans? At least nobody is talking about any of thr other tax increases and new taxes now that he's "caved" on the 529...

Kind of like, we want to implement 5 new taxes, so let's propose 7, makE the extra 2 REALLY bad.. we'll pull the bad 2 in concessions, and everyone will be ecstatic about getting screwed with the remaining 5

Hijinx

So does it sound like a part of a plan? He "gives us" the 529 plan so now we're ok with the rest of Obamas plans? At least nobody is talking about any of thr other tax increases and new taxes now that he's "caved" on the 529...

Kind of like, we want to implement 5 new taxes, so let's propose 7, makE the extra 2 REALLY bad.. we'll pull the bad 2 in concessions, and everyone will be ecstatic about getting screwed with the remaining 5

Good Point. It seems to be working.

tommyjo

Actually if you all had any brains, you would understand that none of this matters.

The Congress and Senate will approve nothing the President proposes and the President will veto almost everything that passes the House and Senate.

Nothing is going to get done over the next two years. Nothing...again. All this stuff is no more than fodder for political ads in 2016. While you all piss and moan, b!tch and complain, the real problems facing this country will only get kicked 2 more years down the road. But hey, that is all you people want anyway. You don't actually want anything to get done...you just want to cry like little girls.

Hijinx

Actually if you all had any brains, you would understand that none of this matters.

The Congress and Senate will approve nothing the President proposes and the President will veto almost everything that passes the House and Senate.

Nothing is going to get done over the next two years. Nothing...again. All this stuff is no more than fodder for political ads in 2016. While you all piss and moan, b!tch and complain, the real problems facing this country will only get kicked 2 more years down the road. But hey, that is all you people want anyway. You don't actually want anything to get done...you just want to cry like little girls.

Tommy Jo is right. Nothing much will happen for the next two years except Obama's Executives Orders.

Hopefully the Congress grows a set and puts a stop to that sh1t.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member

Good thing you are here since, according to you we are all brain dead idiots, you are our Moses(or is it Oz?)