4th Grader's Terroristic Threat

Hank

my war
A fourth-grader in west Texas has been suspended, his father says, because he pretended to have a ring like the One Ring from The Lord of the Rings canon, and said it could make a classmate disappear.

Dad Jason Steward said he was told his son's claim amounted to making a terrorist threat.

Steward took his story to the Odessa (Texas) American on Friday, saying the boy had seen The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies the preceding weekend. He brought a ring to class and told another kid it would make him vanish.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/1/7960307/fourth-grader-suspended-lord-of-the-rings

Hijinx

A fourth-grader in west Texas has been suspended, his father says, because he pretended to have a ring like the One Ring from The Lord of the Rings canon, and said it could make a classmate disappear.

Dad Jason Steward said he was told his son's claim amounted to making a terrorist threat.

Steward took his story to the Odessa (Texas) American on Friday, saying the boy had seen The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies the preceding weekend. He brought a ring to class and told another kid it would make him vanish.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/1/7960307/fourth-grader-suspended-lord-of-the-rings

Sounds like a pretty serious event to me. Did the other kid vanish?
Glad these school teachers can see the threat in a ring .
If they hadn't suspended this kid no telling who he may have made vanish.

Vince

Seems like these kids have to walk around at school afraid to say, see, or do anything for fear some idiot will take it as a threat.

Hijinx

Seems like these kids have to walk around at school afraid to say, see, or do anything for fear some idiot will take it as a threat.

It is frightening to even think of the things we used to do when I was a kid.
We would watch Robin Hood and fight each other with staffs, take a piece of string and a stick and make bows, and fire other sticks with them.
Sword fights with my brother occurred pretty regularly, of course we used sticks again for swords, and tobacco sticks made good swords.
We got cap pistols we used to shoot at each other with for Christmas, and I actually got a BB gun one year.
I don't think I ever got a ring that would make people disappear though.

Today's kids mostly wear out their thumbs killing realistic looking characters on TV in their video games.
I have to believe our form of entertainment was actually better for us.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
So we can call a 4th grader a terrorist, but can't call a terrorist a terrorist. A ring? Really?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It would be best for all if these administrators would vanish, along with their mindsets.

That should be a reality show. "How YOUR school system decided a 4th grader is a terrorist" and walk us through how this, specifically, happened and do it as a public service because their are some mentally ill people behind this. This is crazy, psycho stuff when we accept a 9 year old being called a terrorist. It's no wonder we have such trouble with the word; we have no freaking clue.

Dakota

~~~~~~~

Attachments

• rollingeyes.jpg
    rollingeyes.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 86