Closing hours displayed...

GregV814

On any retail establishment, (yes except 7-11) the hours of operation are normally posted on the front door or window. For the azzholes among us, please note them. You "just browsers" are not special, you are not saving the payroll, you are just a complete pain in the butt.

glhs837

Power with Control
My nit to pick, is please, businesses, post those numbers big enough that I can see them on a driveby.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Problem down here is when they do display their hours and they close at 5, if they aren't busy they will close at 4-4:30. If you catch them leaving and want to go in at say 4:15, they catch an attitude. Small businesses come and go so fast here and I can understand why.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
On any retail establishment, (yes except 7-11) the hours of operation are normally posted on the front door or window. For the azzholes among us, please note them. You "just browsers" are not special, you are not saving the payroll, you are just a complete pain in the butt.

If you own a business in the area, kindly let us know which one. I'd like to avoid giving my money to an #######.

Beta

Smile!

So what's the problem, exactly? If you close at 5 (for example) then why don't you make an announcement a few minutes before 5 that you're closing soon, and then at 5 you let people know that it's time to buy and leave. If they cop an attitude while "just browsing" then they're idiots. If you're just too chicken-#### to make an announcement and don't want to be seen as "rude" then that's your problem. And if you're whining because you just don't want to stay until 5, with those "browsers" not buying anything then you're an even bigger idiot for wanting to leave early. "Browsers" end up buying plenty of times. If you're in a location where you get lots of browsers then you signed up for it by picking that spot. Move to a spot that's away from pedestrian traffic if you don't want browsers. Are you near the Leonardtown square?

Why don't you post the fine establishment whose business hours we need to make sure we respect? Please include the hours of operation. That way this can serve as a PSA so people realize when they should make sure they're out of your store.

GregV814

well, thank you for your responses....however when the teenagers are sweeping and emptying trash cans, the lights are off and the cashiers are closing its rather apparent...and when asked, the "browsers" say things like, "no, just looking are you closing?"....

Forkian

well, thank you for your responses....however when the teenagers are sweeping and emptying trash cans, the lights are off and the cashiers are closing its rather apparent...and when asked, the "browsers" say things like, "no, just looking are you closing?"....
Which business are you speaking of?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
When I browse the local hardware store, I always wind up buying. They've never shut the lights off on me and once, after hours, they held a ladies night and I bought even more.

I say your attitude is wrong if you are in the service industry. People remember who has been nice to them and who hasn't.

R

rhenderson

Which business are you speaking of?

If a "browser" asks if you're closing the simply solution to your complaint is to say "yes".

You still did not indicate where/which store you're talking complaining about.

Are you the owner? -- Change the policy.

Are you the manager or an employee? -- Show up, shut up and do your job.

Don't like your job - find another one.

frequentflier

happy to be living
If a "browser" asks if you're closing the simply solution to your complaint is to say "yes".

You still did not indicate where/which store you're talking complaining about.

Are you the owner? -- Change the policy.

Are you the manager or an employee? -- Show up, shut up and do your job.

Don't like your job - find another one.

:yay:

PeoplesElbow

Maybe they were going to buy something but you were a douche.

He is the business owner, but refuses to tell everyone what business is his because he knows it will cost him business.

glhs837

Power with Control
Maybe they were going to buy something but you were a douche.

He is the business owner, but refuses to tell everyone what business is his because he knows it will cost him business.

Hmmm, I sense a sign is needed, and it's not the "Closed" one :)

frequentflier

happy to be living
The brick and mortar store I have owned for 8+ years has always had a policy that we will stay open late if a customer calls and says they need pet food. Many people commute and the near by bridge can cause delays. Sometimes, it is just a matter that they forgot to get food or they thought someone else picked it up. Posted on the door, my store is open 7 days a week; for a total of 59 available shopping hours. In reality, we open early if someone is waiting and close late so actual shopping hours are more like 64. Most days, we do not lock the door on time because we have customers still in the store. Our long time customers know we are there cleaning for at least 15 to 30 minutes after "closing" and they can still come in if they need something. If we have cashed out, they may be asked for cash or a check and I have even been known to take an IOU. My employees understand that their shift does not end at 7 sharp; some nights they may be there until 8. If they have a pressing issue, particularly with family, they can leave but it is a rarity that anyone even asks. (I am blessed with great staff!)

Customer service will make or break a business. The OP's attitude doesn't sound favorable for success. I hope he was just having a bad day.

The brick and mortar store I have owned for 8+ years has always had a policy that we will stay open late if a customer calls and says they need pet food. Many people commute and the near by bridge can cause delays. Sometimes, it is just a matter that they forgot to get food or they thought someone else picked it up. Posted on the door, my store is open 7 days a week; for a total of 59 available shopping hours. In reality, we open early if someone is waiting and close late so actual shopping hours are more like 64. Most days, we do not lock the door on time because we have customers still in the store. Our long time customers know we are there cleaning for at least 15 to 30 minutes after "closing" and they can still come in if they need something. If we have cashed out, they may be asked for cash or a check and I have even been known to take an IOU. My employees understand that their shift does not end at 7 sharp; some nights they may be there until 8. If they have a pressing issue, particularly with family, they can leave but it is a rarity that anyone even asks. (I am blessed with great staff!)

Customer service will make or break a business. The OP's attitude doesn't sound favorable for success. I hope he was just having a bad day.

All true stuff. The biggest mistake the OP made was saying it out loud. No customer wants to hear what you dont like about customers. Im willing to bet my life there are people in retail all over the county and beyond saying they hate how customers complain/mess/waste/etc. There are waitresses that say customers are rude/cheap/sit too long/etc. There are doctors that ... and so forth. The trick when dealing with the public - if you want to continue dealing - is to suck it up.

I work with the public and they suck - big time. Sometimes its hard to remember they are not all bad and the very best that remind me humans arent all bad- are few and far between.

I personally hate that saying 'then get another job'... so easy right? To just quit one day and the next be employed again, loving life and what you do.

OP- I feel you- ppl are rude, dont think of others, feel if you want to own your own business you are a slave to the masses and every whim they have should be catered too. Not all - but too many these days. Maybe you're burnt on it all - maybe a change is needed. Not sure what kind of change- change of policy, hours or vocation? But- the take away from this thread is- YOUR customers arent going to suddenly agree they suck and do whatever it is youd like them to do.

frequentflier

happy to be living
All true stuff. The biggest mistake the OP made was saying it out loud. No customer wants to hear what you dont like about customers. Im willing to bet my life there are people in retail all over the county and beyond saying they hate how customers complain/mess/waste/etc. There are waitresses that say customers are rude/cheap/sit too long/etc. There are doctors that ... and so forth. The trick when dealing with the public - if you want to continue dealing - is to suck it up.

I work with the public and they suck - big time. Sometimes its hard to remember they are not all bad and the very best that remind me humans arent all bad- are few and far between. I personally hate that saying 'then get another job'... so easy right? To just quit one day and the next be employed again, loving life and what you do.

OP- I feel you- ppl are rude, dont think of others, feel if you want to own your own business you are a slave to the masses and every whim they have should be catered too. Not all - but too many these days. Maybe you're burnt on it all - maybe a change is needed. Not sure what kind of change- change of policy, hours or vocation? But- the take away from this thread is- YOUR customers arent going to suddenly agree they suck and do whatever it is youd like them to do.

We know a lot of our customers and like/love a majority of them. There is an occasional jack wagon that comes through the door; but usually followed by 25 other awesome people.
I am fortunate that if I am not in the mood to be around people, I always have paper work in the office!

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Most business owners know that the customers (good, bad or ugly) are they reason they stay in business. Some owners go above and beyond to make their customers happy. The owners here don't stay long because they think they open a business and they'll be rich and customers be damned. They act like you're inconveniencing them when you walk through the door. I've met less than a handful that actually care about their customers or understand the fact that the customer is the one with the money to keep them in business.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The trick when dealing with the public - if you want to continue dealing - is to suck it up.

Just like that :yay:

I deal mostly with business owners, so most of my day to day customer contact is with people who are easy to work with. But private party ads can be challenging, and that's fine. It's called "customer support" for a reason.