Crime in Maryland .......

Rommey

Who is "we"?

I think it is a little hard to classify the most dangerous cities in Maryland when there really isn't a lot of "cities". According to the State Dept of Taxation and Assessment, there are only 157 incorporated cities and towns in the the state. If "Clinton" or "Oxon Hill" or "Silver Spring" or any of the other city-like areas were true cities, then the list might be a bit different.

RPMDAD

Who is "we"?

I think it is a little hard to classify the most dangerous cities in Maryland when there really isn't a lot of "cities". According to the State Dept of Taxation and Assessment, there are only 157 incorporated cities and towns in the the state. If "Clinton" or "Oxon Hill" or "Silver Spring" or any of the other city-like areas were true cities, then the list might be a bit different.

Used to live in Oxon Hill, and it was semi dangerous when i lived there. Only place i was sliced with a straight razor, and only place i had my van stolen. Got cut up in the late 60's had my van stolen in the early 80's. so there has been crime around there for a long time.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
The overall crime rate for the State (as well as most other negative metrics such as HIV infection and other STDs) is skewed by just two jurisdictions.

GregV814

Its pretty obvious that Prince George's and Baltimore tipped the scales. But who would have suspected Cumberland? I heard there is still some Klan activity near Brunswick though....

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Its pretty obvious that Prince George's and Baltimore tipped the scales. But who would have suspected Cumberland? I heard there is still some Klan activity near Brunswick though....

People I know from the Cumberland area blame the prison to an extent. They believe, with some justification, that the State has encouraged relatives of the prisoners to move there to be near their incarcerated loved ones and have brought some behaviors with them.

The reality is also that the Cumberland area has never recovered from the recessions of the 1970s and 80s and has one of the highest unemployment rates in the State, those rates are also mirrored in the adjoining areas of PA and WV. Higher unemployment almost always has a follow along of higher crime, usually related to drugs. Opiates as well as meth have really made an inroad there as they have down here. The area I'm from in NWPA has almost weekly meth lab raids, one recent one featured a former police officer as the main cooker.

hitchicken

It's heartbreaking to see the 1 in 5 ratio of OC. I can't imagine why anyone would want to go there, let alone take their family, if this were true. I really hope the stats are wrong. Very sad.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
It's heartbreaking to see the 1 in 5 ratio of OC. I can't imagine why anyone would want to go there, let alone take their family, if this were true. I really hope the stats are wrong. Very sad.

That Ocean City number is skewed. The crime rate is based on the year round population of 7K without taking into account that the vast, vast majority of problems are centered in the 300K people there on a summer weekend.

The same way Calvert had a very high bank robbery rate a few years ago. Not one, not a one, of the robbers were from Calvert, they all came down the Thieve's Highway, err RTE 4, from elsewhere.

stgislander

PREMO Member
People I know from the Cumberland area blame the prison to an extent. They believe, with some justification, that the State has encouraged relatives of the prisoners to move there to be near their incarcerated loved ones and have brought some behaviors with them.

The reality is also that the Cumberland area has never recovered from the recessions of the 1970s and 80s and has one of the highest unemployment rates in the State, those rates are also mirrored in the adjoining areas of PA and WV. Higher unemployment almost always has a follow along of higher crime, usually related to drugs. Opiates as well as meth have really made an inroad there as they have down here. The area I'm from in NWPA has almost weekly meth lab raids, one recent one featured a former police officer as the main cooker.

Being born and raised in Cumberland and who's family still lives there, I can say you hit the nail on the head with regard to your comments about the recessions and unemployment. Once the second largest city and manufacturing center in MD, it is but a shadow of its former self.

slowlane

Being born and raised in Cumberland and who's family still lives there, I can say you hit the nail on the head with regard to your comments about the recessions and unemployment. Once the second largest city and manufacturing center in MD, it is but a shadow of its former self.

St. Mary's County as I recall, had the 2nd highest number (not just "Rate", but actually raw number) of heroin overdoses in the State, a couple of years ago - even more overdoses than the big urban counties did.

Frostburg University this month, just made the list of one of the 25 highest-crime campuses in the nation. A couple years ago, they raised their SAT admission standards, after they had relaxed them earlier to let in many students from Baltimore City and Prince Geo. County, which had resulted in a couple of homicides.

Last edited:

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
St. Mary's County as I recall, had the 2nd highest number (not just "Rate", but actually raw number) of heroin overdoses in the State, a couple of years ago - even more overdoses than the big urban counties did.

Frostburg University this month, just made the list of one of the 25 highest-crime campuses in the nation. A couple years ago, they raised their SAT admission standards, after they had relaxed them earlier to let in many students from Baltimore City and Prince Geo. County, which had resulted in a couple of homicides.

Sooooooooo, what does the use of heroin down here tell you?