Food Lion - Charlotte Hall

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Is closed... we were there a little after noon, just got to the door when they closed the store, ordered everyone to leave their carts... customers were NOT happy... some left out of the parking lot angry nearing hitting people and vehicles. Some coming out of the store said a pipe busted and many other people reported smelling smoke or something electrical... every fire company from St. Mary's and Charles seemed to respond but as we just passed about 10-15 minutes ago, we saw just 3 trucks left.

After leaving the store, we quickly left and went to McKays. We only needed a few things but when we were leaving McKays, the lines were to the middle of the store. They seemed to be handling the unexpected flow well.

Pretty sad that us folks in Charlotte Hall/Mechanicsville are still screaming for a nice grocery store. With all this growth, we are long overdue.

I do wonder how long Food Lion will be closed? The damage seemed extensive. I am thinking they could be closed for a few days if not longer so if anyone has an update, please post it.

lovinmaryland

My cousin said as she was leaving the ceiling started pouring water at the exit area. Said she got out just in time before they ordered everyone out.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
My cousin said as she was leaving the ceiling started pouring water at the exit area. Said she got out just in time before they ordered everyone out.

It does sound like extensive damage... something that could have the store shut down for days or weeks.

It really couldn't have been a worse timing either. Between the holiday and the expected snow, the store was PACKED. In the nearly 11 years we have lived here, I have never seen the store so packed.

My husband let this old man have a front parking space that came available as we were pulling in and that S.O.B. is one of the many people who nearly ran people over leaving the lot. :ohwell:

lovinmaryland

It does sound like extensive damage... something that could have the store shut down for days or weeks.

It really couldn't have been a worse timing either. Between the holiday and the expected snow, the store was PACKED. In the nearly 11 years we have lived here, I have never seen the store so packed.

My husband let this old man have a front parking space that came available as we were pulling in and that S.O.B. is one of the many people who nearly ran people over leaving the lot. :ohwell:

I'm sure he was trying to be one of the first to get to Mckays!!!

I went to our Food Lion this morning around 7:30 am...normally at that time they are empty...it was PACKED! 4 registers open w/ lines back to the aisles.

sm8

McKay's in Charlotte Hall had two separate people taken away by ambulance. I just needed Tea bags so I went to the Dollar General and could see them from there. Terrible of me but I could not help but think in my head "I wonder if they were fighting over milk?" A gentleman at the store said an older woman just collapsed to the floor while waiting in line so they called for an ambulance. A few minutes later another woman in a different line collapsed to the floor. Makes me wonder about carbon monoxide.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
McKay's in Charlotte Hall had two separate people taken away by ambulance. I just needed Tea bags so I went to the Dollar General and could see them from there. Terrible of me but I could not help but think in my head "I wonder if they were fighting over milk?" A gentleman at the store said an older woman just collapsed to the floor while waiting in line so they called for an ambulance. A few minutes later another woman in a different line collapsed to the floor. Makes me wonder about carbon monoxide.

That store is so old and is in such need of repair, you just might be on the right track. :ohwell:

Last edited:

General Lee

Its pathetic the lack of planning and prepared society as a whole really is. A little snow storm and people just panic to get supplies. Simple supplies that should always be on hand regardless. These people are they sheep of society and will be the first to go during a real SHTF event. I have no pitty for them except for the elderly or incapable.

sm8

Some one posted on Facebook that Charlotte Hall Food Lion was open and looked like nothing ever happened. Not sure if it is true but since I need nothing from the store I have no plans on going out and checking any way.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Its pathetic the lack of planning and prepared society as a whole really is. A little snow storm and people just panic to get supplies. Simple supplies that should always be on hand regardless. These people are they sheep of society and will be the first to go during a real SHTF event. I have no pitty for them except for the elderly or incapable.

I had to go out and get beer.
I drank what I had over the weekend.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I had to go out and get beer.
I drank what I had over the weekend.

:lol: I went for veggies and cat litter, which I could have done without but was concerned if the snow lingers, I could have a couple of cats using up what litter I had. My cats will not stay in the house and use the box unless it is an emergency. If they can make a mad dash to use the outside, they will.

Dakota

~~~~~~~

I am always surprised how many people don't have TP and bread because every pending storm leaves the shelves bare.

At Food Lion and McKays nobody even bothered to bring carts back to the front of the store. Just in observation, the cart returns were packed and many carts were just left in the parking lot and not in the returns.

If $hit hit the fan, I swear our family could eat canned food for a month. One day at work, I opened a can of peas, used a spoon and ate them cold and out of the can.... this isn't uncommon in my office because we all do get that busy.