not having a college degree seen as a negative thing

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Liberal Elitists Try Taking Down Scott Walker, Backfires BIG TIME

Only in Liberal Bizarro World is not having a college degree seen as a negative thing. But the fact that Governor Scott Walker didn't complete his college degree seems to be the best attack strategy the Democrats have - except normal people in Reality Town don't mind much at all. This column over at Rare explains several reasons that Walker's degree-free credentials are more likely to help than hinder a potential 2016 bid. Some points from the article -

Most Americans don’t have a college degree. Only about 30 percent of the population has a bachelor’s degree, so 70 percent do not, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. But even without that “formal education,” most of the non-degreed do not consider themselves stupid, and for good reason—they aren’t.

The reason Walker left college. A common liberal theme is that Republicans are greedy and only care about making huge profits on the backs of working Americans. That’s how liberals portrayed Mitt Romney, and it stuck.

Walker did leave college to go to work … for the American Red Cross! So hammering the “he didn’t finish” theme allows Walker to point out he went to work for one of the best, most compassionate nonprofit organizations in the world. If anything, he’s the anti-Romney, which clearly challenges the liberal playbook.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I came across this the other day, gave me a chuckle.

Attachments

• 1654155_771521382933011_525635114493461605_n.jpg
    1654155_771521382933011_525635114493461605_n.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 251

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
The lack of a degree matters not. It doesn't mean one is not educated, nor does a degree mean one is smart. Education is of course a lifelong process, and that's fine.

Walker's problem is that his ideology is broken. He also supports amnesty, which I figured would have been a non-starter in the Republican Purity Test, so I wonder why anyone is even talking about his lack of a degree.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
My oldest son and all his friends went the trade route... they do take classes part-time but they are not all that eager to hurry up and finish. :shrug: At first I was pissed at all of them but they gave me their opinions. One that stood out was how many have 4-year degrees, debt and still no job. They felt the people who can actually fix things were becoming few and far between and they felt the job market is in the trade fields.

Just a month ago, I was on an interview panel looking to fill 4 jobs in our local area paying a little over $14.00 an hour with no benefits and had a line out the door with people who have B.A./B.S. degrees and have been unable to find a job. Out of the 34 interviews my team conducted, only 2 or 3 had lessor than a 4 year degree. I have never had such qualified applicants for a low level clerical job but the job market is very thin. Will it get better? It just doesn't seem to be getting better.

In fact, I was just days away from making job offers when I got word that all hiring is frozen solid.

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

I would be surprised if we ever again elect a president that doesn't have a degree from an ivy league school. I would much rather see someone that got a degree from a state school.

Not having a degree will hurt him in a national election, sad but true.

Hijinx

I would be surprised if we ever again elect a president that doesn't have a degree from an ivy league school. I would much rather see someone that got a degree from a state school.

Not having a degree will hurt him in a national election, sad but true.

Not sure I agree with you. Like the article said 70% do not have degrees. It certainly will not matter to that 70%.
I know it wouldn't matter to me.

We have some people in here (names need not be mentioned) who brag on their degrees and denigrate others for not having one, but they are not so smart that they stay away from this forum with something better to do.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Not sure I agree with you. Like the article said 70% do not have degrees. It certainly will not matter to that 70%.

We have some people in here (names need not be mentioned) who brag on their degrees and denigrate others for not having one, but they are not so smart that they stay away from this forum with something better to do.

I don't have a degree and I think I am smort.

PeoplesElbow

But what is the percentage of people that do not vote? I would wager that a higher percentage of people with degrees vote than without. The primaries are even worse.

One of the smartest girls I ever went out with shocked me when she told me she was a high school drop out.

Silly things like height, weight and even bad hair can alter elections, I think this is big enough to matter.

Last edited:

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
I find it funny. People who demanded to see President Obama's college transcripts, because they didn't think he was smart enough to be president, now think having a college degree is elitist.

This_person

I find it funny. People who demanded to see President Obama's college transcripts, because they didn't think he was smart enough to be president, now think having a college degree is elitist.

Andy, you intentionally or unintentionally misunderstood or are misrepresenting.

People wanted to see his records for a multitude of reasons including - comparison with Bush, who was portrayed as a dolt by liberals for getting Bs and Cs in college; read his writings for even more evidence of his poor thinking; see how he registered; see how he paid; and, demonstrating that he is the exact opposite of transparent and open. The argument "he got all Ds in college" was meant to get people to say to themselves "that can't be true" and have them search, finding for themselves he clearly has something to hide.

Also, people aren't saying that having a degree is elitist. They're saying that those who feel NOT having a college degree is disqualifying for the presidency are elitist.

If you're going to disagree, then disagree with what's being said.

Hijinx

Andy, you intentionally or unintentionally misunderstood or are misrepresenting.

People wanted to see his records for a multitude of reasons including - comparison with Bush, who was portrayed as a dolt by liberals for getting Bs and Cs in college; read his writings for even more evidence of his poor thinking; see how he registered; see how he paid; and, demonstrating that he is the exact opposite of transparent and open. The argument "he got all Ds in college" was meant to get people to say to themselves "that can't be true" and have them search, finding for themselves he clearly has something to hide.

Also, people aren't saying that having a degree is elitist. They're saying that those who feel NOT having a college degree is disqualifying for the presidency are elitist.

If you're going to disagree, then disagree with what's being said.

Whether or not his comparison is valid it does make a point.
Where are Obama's college records?
Who did pay for his education?
Was he a foreign aid student.?
Did he actually attend when no one in his class can remember him.?

Now we have a man with a proven record in his State who dropped out of his last year to work for the Red Cross and they want to use that against him.

I am not totally on Walkers side yet, but he certainly looks better than his competition. (except for his immigration stand).
Certainly his lack of a piece of sheepskin will not matter to me.

Obama's lack of a Birth Certificate did not stop him.
Hillary's lack of any record of success in her career has not stopped her.

Success is not in getting elected or appointed to high office it is what you did after that election or appointment that counts.
The count is in on Hillary and she was worse than useless and in fact got at least 4 people killed, not to mention Ft. Marcy.

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
Whether or not his comparison is valid it does make a point.
Where are Obama's college records?
Who did pay for his education?
Was he a foreign aid student.?
Did he actually attend when no one in his class can remember him.?

Now we have a man with a proven record in his State who dropped out of his last year to work for the Red Cross and they want to use that against him.

I am not totally on Walkers side yet, but he certainly looks better than his competition. (except for his immigration stand).
Certainly his lack of a piece of sheepskin will not matter to me.

Obama's lack of a Birth Certificate did not stop him.
Hillary's lack of any record of success in her career has not stopped her.

Success is not in getting elected or appointed to high office it is what you did after that election or appointment that counts.
The count is in on Hillary and she was worse than useless and in fact got at least 4 people killed, not to mention Ft. Marcy.

Maybe you'll figure out eventually that presidents are selected and not elected. You are as much as saying so. Understand that, embrace it, and move forward and political spectatorship will go much more smoothly for you.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Just a month ago, I was on an interview panel looking to fill 4 jobs in our local area paying a little over $14.00 an hour with no benefits and had a line out the door with people who have B.A./B.S. degrees and have been unable to find a job. Out of the 34 interviews my team conducted, only 2 or 3 had lessor than a 4 year degree. I have never had such qualified applicants for a low level clerical job but the job market is very thin.

indeed

Blame College Educated people for trying to push everyone into college .... if the FED was not funding this mess, there would be more people moving to JOBS they are better suited ... ie trades

IMHO - there should be an aptitude test before high school and one the senior yr of HS - not unlike the Military ASVAB

'little johnny your test scores show you are good with your hands and like to build - here is a course of Vocational classes'

and if when it comes time for college ... do you have an aptitude for Sciences or Auto Repair .... here have a loan
... oh you want to take Women's Studies , well skippy you are on your own for funding that one

Last edited:

PsyOps

Pixelated

I think you have it backwards... Dean is claiming if you don't have a college degree you're not qualified to be president. THAT is an elitist POV. Those on the other side of this are not saying having a degree is elitist, they are saying it's nonsense to claim you must have a degree to be qualified to be POTUS.

And those demanding to see his transcripts are just doing what politicians do. It's very normal for those running for office to offer up their personal information (taxes, school transcripts, etc...) in the interest of transparency. Because Obama (this most transparent president in history :ohwell: ) has his sealed up gives people suspicion to believe he has something to hide. Mostly I don't care. Whether his degree is actually valid or not, he is grossly unqualified for the job he is holding.

Last edited:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Does this make him an educated idiot?

That is the thing... anyone can skate by in college earning C's/D's just for showing up and putting in a little effort. Although I had all those people show up with degrees for a low level clerical job, I will say I noticed several did not have good grades. They had the degree but they put the least amount of effort into the process.

I think by Obama not showing his transcripts, he did have something to hide such as low grades. If he was a straight A student or even a high B student, his ass would have plastered that everywhere.