Maine

Chris0nllyn

Looking to head up there in a few months. I've never been and don't know where to start.

I'd prefer a small town feel with little "touristy" attractions. I enjoy hole-in-the-wall type restaurants (for Lobster, of course).

Anyone have recommendations for towns to stay in, hotels, restaurants, etc.?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Looking to head up there in a few months. I've never been and don't know where to start.

I'd prefer a small town feel with little "touristy" attractions. I enjoy hole-in-the-wall type restaurants (for Lobster, of course).

Maine is a VERY big state. Where in Maine are you going?

Chris0nllyn

Maine is a VERY big state. Where in Maine are you going?

Haven't decided. Prefer somewhere along the coastline I guess.

That narrows it down to about 3,500 miles. :lol:

Seriously though, I have literally zero clue about where to go/stay/eat/etc. but this will be an anniversary trip, so something romantic I guess.

Last edited:

Freefaller

Can't suggest a hotel because we stayed in an RV, but Bar Harbor is wonderful. Great lobster joints (You could also buy them at gas stations and Mom and Pop Places) Acadia National park with wonderful views when you go up to Cadillac Mountain. There is a "sand Beach" which is beautiful but (THink Rocky Coast of Maine) but it's never warm enough to swim (at least for me and my family) You can go whale watching if its the right time of year.

DQ2B

Kittery, Kennebunk, Freeport and Bar Harbor all touristy busy areas in summertime. Bar Harbor is closest to Acadia for sight seeing and probably the most things to do but traffic can be an issue during high tourist season. I always liked the little town of Castine and Camden. Be prepared, some of the locals in the "small feel" towns can seem a bit aloof.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
many good recommendations, the best one you'll get is mine - :yahoo: try the SOFT SHELL LOBSTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Maine is a very SMALL state. There is a little bit of stuff and a lot of NOTHING.

Must do's;

Kennebunkport. Give it a day, maybe two. Watching the tide come in from the brewery deck, Federal Jacks, is amazing. Stay anywhere, eat lobster roll from anywhere including the gas stations. Don't let them talk about the 'BEST' lobster roll. There is no BEST. They are ALL freaking fabulous. Some add lettuce and mayo. Others are 'purists'.

Cape Porpoise, Cape Pier chowdah house, Pier 77 (next door) O'reillys lobster pound in Cape Porpoise (coolest place, evah, say hello to Mike)

Portland. Have not been there and regret it. Festivals, on the water, everyone says fun town. Eat lobster roll.

Go up the coast on Rt 1, stop wherever. Rockport, Bath. Eat lobster roll.

Bah Habah Gotta go to the top of Cadillac Mt. Bar Harbor is easy worth a weekend. Most beautiful place on the planet. Eat lobster roll.

If you wanna see 'the rest of Maine' go up I95 for 6 million miles and roam around Milinocket. Go up Katahdin.

Don't believe this crap about Maine being 'buggy'. That's a load of crap. It is so far beyond 'buggy' it's not even funny. It's insane buggy, eat you alive, black fly, horse fly skeeters.

Winter ends June 1. Summer is July 12. Fall starts around the 13th, 4:40pm or so. Winter usually starts September 1-ish. Do NOT got the last week in July. Canada is off that week and they INVADE the Union.

Maine is wicked awesome. Except for the bugs. :buddies:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
And be prepared to be told you are not welcome in the most polite way imaginable.

"Ah, I like yah bike. It's quiet. Staying long? No? Good. No need to come back, now...good bye now..."

Hank

my war
Maine is a very SMALL state. There is a little bit of stuff and a lot of NOTHING.

Must do's;

Kennebunkport. Give it a day, maybe two. Watching the tide come in from the brewery deck, Federal Jacks, is amazing. Stay anywhere, eat lobster roll from anywhere including the gas stations. Don't let them talk about the 'BEST' lobster roll. There is no BEST. They are ALL freaking fabulous. Some add lettuce and mayo. Others are 'purists'.

Cape Porpoise, Cape Pier chowdah house, Pier 77 (next door) O'reillys lobster pound in Cape Porpoise (coolest place, evah, say hello to Mike)

Portland. Have not been there and regret it. Festivals, on the water, everyone says fun town. Eat lobster roll.

Go up the coast on Rt 1, stop wherever. Rockport, Bath. Eat lobster roll.

Bah Habah Gotta go to the top of Cadillac Mt. Bar Harbor is easy worth a weekend. Most beautiful place on the planet. Eat lobster roll.

If you wanna see 'the rest of Maine' go up I95 for 6 million miles and roam around Milinocket. Go up Katahdin.

Don't believe this crap about Maine being 'buggy'. That's a load of crap. It is so far beyond 'buggy' it's not even funny. It's insane buggy, eat you alive, black fly, horse fly skeeters.

Winter ends June 1. Summer is July 12. Fall starts around the 13th, 4:40pm or so. Winter usually starts September 1-ish. Do NOT got the last week in July. Canada is off that week and they INVADE the Union.

Maine is wicked awesome. Except for the bugs. :buddies:

Good review. I have spent a lot of time in Maine... The coast is the way to go...Definitely hit Portland (they love to drink) and about 2 hours north is Acadia. I would even hit Portsmouth, NH to start.

When you are up there, take notice. It seems as if 1 out of 5 Mainers are missing a finger.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I have always wanted to go visit Maine. My only time was to cross over to Kittery and eat at a big lobster house. Someday I'll see more...

oldman

Lobster Land
Come on up right now. No bugs. 4 feet of snow covering my 40 acres and it's snowing once again. I'm in Cooper where there are no stores although we have a community center and a lake filled with fish. Cooper is somewhere between Machias and Calais where the stores are. I've found the people very friendly in my five years living here. In the summer there are many cabins available for renting that I'd consider very nice for a romantic getaway. City life isn't for me so being in the country where a vehicle is necessary to reach a neighbor is my choice. It's a beautiful state. Beer can be purchased almost anywhere and food is served in places one wouldn't expect. I got a state ID card and registered a boat trailer, both within 20 minutes after walking into the office. Despite the coldness of winter, I love it here.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Belfast :yay: used to vacation on this lake house about a half hour away from Belfast. small town with all the necessities but great charm. Several awesome restaurants, amazing scenery, kinda- hippy-ish feel to the town...Been there many times during different seasons. Always quiet. If you want more info on restaurants...there's this one AMAZING lobster pound you MUST go to, a great bar with seriously great food, couple great breakfast cafes...PM me.

tuffenuff2

Bar Harbor is awesome. Schoodic point about is about 20 miles further north and is a nice place to visit for a day trip- lots of tiny towns along the way. All the local villages have lobsters.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
many good recommendations, the best one you'll get is mine - :yahoo: try the SOFT SHELL LOBSTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Easy to come by as the locals and the rest of New England are looking for the HARD shell lobsters.

WHOLE clams.. Fried, Steamed.. Buy ten pounds of steamers and find a place to put a blanket and watch the sunset. Like picking crabs, but tastier.

Even in Maine (they've been invaded by lowlanders) you have to ask specifically "Are your fried clams whole clams or strips!?" if they say strips ask for directions to the nearest REAL seafood restaurant.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Good review. I have spent a lot of time in Maine... The coast is the way to go...Definitely hit Portland (they love to drink) and about 2 hours north is Acadia. I would even hit Portsmouth, NH to start.

When you are up there, take notice. It seems as if 1 out of 5 Mainers are missing a finger.

Just North of Portsmouth is Dover.. In Dover there is a sizable seafood restaurant called Newicks. It's pretty difficult to get to, it was at the foot of a bridge back in it's heyday, but they built a new bridge and closed that one.. They are so good, the locals eat there, and keep them in business. If you don't know it's there, and you aren't from there you'll NEVER find it (or know to look for it). Dirt floors, paper plates, plastic utensils, and some picnic tables.. Great views, and great food GINORMOUS portions.

Agee

Scarborough...

"Scarborough is a town in Cumberland County on the southern coast of the U.S. state of Maine. The town is a coastal resort area. Located about 7 miles (11 km) south of Portland"

Beautiful coastal town, way cool amusement park just off the ocean! Wherever your Maine journey takes you, stop in South Portland for an Italian Sandwich (Grinder), they are the bomb!