On-base contractors and base closures, feedback needed

sockgirl77

Both companies that I have worked for have granted us admin leave when we were off due to a base closure. I've never had to dip into my personal leave for it. A friend of mine told me that his company is telling him that he has to use his personal leave for Tuesday's base closure. They are claiming that is the rule now. Is anyone else's company like this? I've never heard of a company being like this. Should he question the validity of what is being told to him?

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Both companies that I have worked for have granted us admin leave when we were off due to a base closure. I've never had to dip into my personal leave for it. A friend of mine told me that his company is telling him that he has to use his personal leave for Tuesday's base closure. They are claiming that is the rule now. Is anyone else's company like this? I've never heard of a company being like this. Should he question the validity of what is being told to him?

When I worked for a contractor previously we were granted "admin" leave..but it wasn't really in any true sense. We had to either make up the time (within an allotted time frame) or use personal leave.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Depends on how their contract is worded. OR If even the company itself allows for admin leave.

sockgirl77

When I worked for a contractor previously we were granted "admin" leave..but it wasn't really in any true sense. We had to either make up the time (within an allotted time frame) or use personal leave.
I've never had to make up the time or use personal leave. Maybe it's just the norm and I've been lucky. I just cannot imagine having to use leave when your employer chooses to close. :ohwell:

sockgirl77

Then again, I have a telework agreement and this no longer applies to me. I was just curious if this is how it is now. I guess that every company is different and like Bob said, depends on how the contract is worded.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I've never had to make up the time or use personal leave. Maybe it's just the norm and I've been lucky. I just cannot imagine having to use leave when your employer chooses to close. :ohwell:

You've just been lucky. My former contractor had us take "Admin leave" if our building or the base (Dahlgren at the time) was closed. It was a small contractor and I didn't have to make up the time. Loved it.

My new contracting company is huge and we're asked to take "Admin leave" however, like LT said we're required to eventually make that time up within a certain window (usually by the end of the quarter) or we use personal leave. BUT, I've recently been granted permission for telework for situations like this and can now bring work home if, and only if, I've been granted permission in cases of impending base closures. Otherwise I'm required to work in office at all times.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
As Bob has stated, it depends on how the contract is written. My company will not grant admin leave if the base is closed since that is the way the contract is written, our options are to a) telework, b) take leave (vacation) c) take vacation without pay d) flexwork (make up the time during the pay period) or e) go to the local corporate headquarters and work there. We do not get "snow days" or automatically get to take "admin leave" if the base is closed, we either basically work or have to take vacation.

Usually this is not the contractor company's doing, it the government who stipulates this in the contract, it's a way for the government to save money by not having to pay for the contractors during bas closures. Some companies will just pay the employees out of over head, some will not.

It's just one of those things for being a dirt bag contractor.

Last edited:

Insane71

REALITY, IT'S A BITCH!!!
As Bob has stated, it depends on how the contract is written. My company will not grant admin leave if the base is closed since that is the way the contract is written, our options are to a) telework, b) take leave (vacation) c) take vacation without pay d) flexwork (make up the time during the pay period) or e) go to the local corporate headquarters and work there. We do not get "snow days" or automatically get to take "admin leave" if the base is closed, we either basically work or have to take vacation.

Usually this is not the contractor company's doing, it the government who stipulates this in the contract, it's a way for the government to save money by not having to pay for the contractors during bas closures. Some companies will just pay the employees out of over head, some will not.

It's just one of those things for being a dirt bag contractor.

:yeahthat:

BernieP

Resident PIA
Depends on how their contract is worded. OR If even the company itself allows for admin leave.

Then again, I have a telework agreement and this no longer applies to me. I was just curious if this is how it is now. I guess that every company is different and like Bob said, depends on how the contract is worded.

Yes, it depends on the contract. If I recall, if your contract has you in your company spaces, off base, the base closure does not apply to you. The question is, did the company actually close or did the party assume the company was closed because the base closed.

BTW, get use to it. Admin Leave, like Jury Duty, comes out of overhead and with the new contracts being very cost competitive you can almost guarantee there is no margin to grant paid leave to employees. I worked for a smaller company and when I had jury duty I was asked to "make up" the time. Your time is billable, your absence is not.
When you bill hours to the customer you contribute to overhead and profit. So even while the law says they have to grant you time off for jury duty, it does not say it has to be paid time off.

sockgirl77

Yes, it depends on the contract. If I recall, if your contract has you in your company spaces, off base, the base closure does not apply to you. The question is, did the company actually close or did the party assume the company was closed because the base closed.
As the thread title states, ON base.

JeJeTe

Happiness
Depends on the contract. With my old job if the base was closed we got paid. With my new one if the base is closed then you either make up time, take leave, telework or go to your corporate office.

Also, just because they say the base is closed doesn't mean they won't let you on. I've come in many days when the base was closed becuase I don't have the leave for all of this time.

sockgirl77

Depends on the contract. With my old job if the base was closed we got paid. With my new one if the base is closed then you either make up time, take leave, telework or go to your corporate office.

Also, just because they say the base is closed doesn't mean they won't let you on. I've come in many days when the base was closed becuase I don't have the leave for all of this time.
If it's restricted access only?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant

I used personal leave. I can telework, but must have approval submitted in writing by several different government people in advance. Nobody gave advance approval prior to the snowstorm. My company said I could do admin leave, but their process is a nightmare to deal with so I took the day off. Since I did that, I could have used leave or leave without pay. I chose leave. I seriously enjoyed my snow mental health day so I'm not complaining.

I'm on a new contract, with the same company, and before this contract I could telework with no problems and was never in a position where I felt forced to take leave. Nowadays, there have been several situations where I was forced to take leave or felt it was my only choice. :shrug: However, I hear all new contract services contracts are being written this way in order to reduce government expense. So if you haven't seen it yet, you may yet.

sockgirl77

I'm trying to think if I've come in when it was at that specific access and I honestly don't remember the exact name for it. I know I've been here when it's been delayed and closed.

I've always worked in buildings where I was one of the very few contractors in the building. I was actually the only contractor in my entire department up at IHD for over a year. Going into the office when the base was closed was never an option. Technically, I was not supposed to work when the govvies were not there. Although, they never seemed to care about that when I was coming in on the weekends catching up on the govvies' workload. :lol:

JeJeTe

Happiness
I've always worked in buildings where I was one of the very few contractors in the building. I was actually the only contractor in my entire department up at IHD for over a year. Going into the office when the base was closed was never an option. Technically, I was not supposed to work when the govvies were not there. Although, they never seemed to care about that when I was coming in on the weekends catching up on the govvies' workload. :lol:

You aren't supposed to but many still do it. And inevitably one or two show up regardless of the base's status. In my building anyways.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
When I worked on the contract for IMD they required you to take leave even if base was closed.

The current contract I am on we can telework. We use Citrix to connect to the servers.

This week I am working at home because I had a mishap with standing up when foot was asleep. I am waiting for a CAT Scan apt to be set because they are afraid of a mid-ligament break.

BernieP

Resident PIA
You aren't supposed to but many still do it. And inevitably one or two show up regardless of the base's status. In my building anyways.

the operative word is "depends"
If the status is "essential personnel only" - you should not attempt to come in unless you are on the list.
(dependency 1)
But getting on might also depend on the guard questioning your (#2) and your honest reply (#3).

I know a couple of people who tried to drive on during the first closure and were turned away - they were questioned if they were essential personnel.
Now they were contractors, guards may not ask government employee as they might simply assume you were an essential person.
Also depends on where you work, i.e. program office. Last year when the word went out that the base was closed (after it had opened late) the PMs made sure people were out of the building. Government personnel are responsible for securing the buildings, if you have a key, or swipe access to enter a building somebody could be on the hot seat (unless it's considered a contractor workspace).