Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: but you deny Christanity had a place ....

but you deny Christanity had a place ....

Obama: 'Islam Has Been Woven Into the Fabric of Our Country Since Its Founding'

(CNSNews.com) - We hear a lot about the United States' Judeo-Christian heritage, but according to President Obama, "Islam has been woven into the fabric of our country since its founding."

That's what the president told a White House conference on "countering violent extremism" on Wednesday.

Obama has said similar things in the past:

"I also know that Islam has always been a part of America’s story,” Obama said in a June 2009 speech in Cairo, Egypt. "Islam has always been part of America," he said in a 2010 statement marking the start of Ramadan. And in a 2014 statement marking Eid, Obama said the holiday "also reminds us of the many achievements and contributions of Muslim Americans to building the very fabric of our nation and strengthening the core of our democracy."

In his speech on Wednesday, Obama was making the point that Western nations must show that they "welcome people of all faiths," at a time when "extremists" are saying that Western nations are "hostile to Muslims."
    We’re tempted to suggest a conspiracy here — but it’s just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply can’t conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    Obama: 'Islam Has Been Woven Into the Fabric of Our Country Since Its Founding'

(CNSNews.com) - We hear a lot about the United States' Judeo-Christian heritage, but according to President Obama, "Islam has been woven into the fabric of our country since its founding."

That's what the president told a White House conference on "countering violent extremism" on Wednesday.

Obama has said similar things in the past:

"I also know that Islam has always been a part of America’s story,” Obama said in a June 2009 speech in Cairo, Egypt. "Islam has always been part of America," he said in a 2010 statement marking the start of Ramadan. And in a 2014 statement marking Eid, Obama said the holiday "also reminds us of the many achievements and contributions of Muslim Americans to building the very fabric of our nation and strengthening the core of our democracy."

In his speech on Wednesday, Obama was making the point that Western nations must show that they "welcome people of all faiths," at a time when "extremists" are saying that Western nations are "hostile to Muslims."
    Muslims supplied the south with slaves, maybe that is what he means

Did Muslims play a role in the founding of the country? Here’s what David Barton found…

DAVID: Oh, I just expected it. I laughed. It was really pretty ridiculous. I have since then actually tried — because in all the reading I’ve done, you know, thousands of books, there’s nothing there. You and I know some of the stuff that’s out there, I mean, we know that Muslims were the folks who captured the slaves sent to America largely out of Africa. The Dutch would hall anything they were given. They were traders. The Muslims who did the slave hunting and the slave trading, et cetera. The first Muslims came to America as a result of the Muslims capturing them and sending them to the Dutch traders. We know beyond that we had a 32-year war with Muslims. At first American edition of the Koran, the editors said, you guys have to read this. This is crazy stuff. You’ll understand why we’ve had 32 years of war with these nuts. I mean, those exactly are contributions that would jump to mind. That’s about all you can point to back then. So I spent a little bit of time to look up.

If you go to a website called Islam101.com and look at the contribution of Islams to America. I’m telling you, bro, we’re really sparse here. 1732. Here’s a contribution of a Muslim to America. 1732, a Muslim is set free by James Oglethorpe, who is the founder of Georgia. He’s set free and given passage to England. That’s what they consider a contribution to America.

1790. It says, well, Muslims are known to be living in Florida. Oh, yeah, that’s a Spanish possession of Florida. And Moorish Muslims occupied Spain, so no surprise there. Then, 1807, it says a Muslim is set free. He buys shares in a bank. Now, we have someone who actually bought stock in America.
    We’re tempted to suggest a conspiracy here — but it’s just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply can’t conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

I can't figure out why the President feels any obligation whatsoever to defend Islam.
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    I can't figure out why the President feels any obligation whatsoever to defend Islam.

he is Muslim .....

Come on Sam. The man is a Muslim born and bred.

Quote Originally Posted by Hijinx View Post
    Come on Sam. The man is a Muslim born and bred.
    Irrelevant. I wouldn't expect a Christian president to feel he somehow had to defend the Christian faith.
    Not his job and not his area of expertise.
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by Hijinx View Post
    Muslims supplied the south with slaves, maybe that is what he means
    Good point.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Here is my take;

The left has built their entire social narrative on the violence and hostility of the white European male. He is greedy, Christian and racist and he built the nation on the backs of others. That is their social narrative and hence their narrative of the nation, what was and is wrong with it and why and, hence, the backbone of left of center polices designed to correct these wrongs. Nowhere in it is there any room for them, us, me, being the lesser evil who continually sought justice over time and, moreover, ingrained in the fabric of the nation (to use the phrase of the day), at its founding, the path to freedom and liberty for all. And, nowhere is there room to say "Ok, the white European Christian male is no longer a savage to minorities and a mortal threat to the world. He is, in fact, the backbone of freedom and liberty accomplished here at home and its one and only true defender worldwide. His ways and history are the hope of the world."

Now, if you compare that, the argument that WECM's are simply bad news and everyone else is simply trying to survive our onslaught, it is VERY inconvenient to have this competing narrative of OTHER men, not white, not European, and absolutely NOT Christian who enslave others, demand supremacy of their faith, subordinate women and do violence to any and all who do not conform. In short, fundamentalist Islam, this way of life that used to be very little known and well out of OUR mainstream consciousness, now that it has come to light and in such way as to be absolutely no longer ignorable, it is a, THE mortal threat to the narrative that the WECM's are the bogey man of the world.

Imagine gay rednecks who hate blacks, Jews, love guns and Jesus.
    Imagine black folks who refuse to hire anyone but fellow blacks and think Mexicans should all be kicked out, hate gays, think women belong at home.
    Imagine Hispanics who keep to their own, worship Jesus and capitalism and think anyone else who keeps to their own are simply rational.

Islam isn't just a threat to individual livery and freedom, it is an existential threat to the progressive left that exists solely if WECM's are THE bad guys.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Well Said Larry

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.