How long has your Heat Pump been running?

steppinthrax

In the day it does cut off for maybe 10 mins or so, then cuts on, we have it on 67. In the night it pretty much runs constantly. God is wish they could run some gas lines through here.

John Z

if you will
Last night, as the temps dipped below zero (if I am to believe my cheapo outdoor thermometer), my heat pump was probably running constantly. And probably on emergency heat too. So I can probably slice deli meat on my electrical meter this morning. :biggrin:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Heat pumps are very inefficient when the outside temperatures drop well below freezing. It's hard to capture heat out of frigid air.

Time to toss another log on the fire.

In the day it does cut off for maybe 10 mins or so, then cuts on, we have it on 67. In the night it pretty much runs constantly. God is wish they could run some gas lines through here.

Does you system not have a backup for when outside temperatures drop this low (or not even this low)? If not, that's a major problem - running a heat pump at these temperatures is like throwing money away. It might be more efficient to burn $1 bills for heat instead (okay, that might be hyperbole).

Do you at least have a fairly modern, efficient, heat pump? I've talked to a couple of HVAC guys that think it's actually more efficient to run in emergency mode when temperatures get around where they are now. I haven't tried to figure that comparison out for myself though.

At any rate, you have my sympathy.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

Just one more thing you can bitch about.

My heat pump hasn't run at all. I heat with oil.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I know jack about heat pumps but I do know that heat pumps come in two flavors; with or without 'emergency' heat. The one's that are sans a heater backup rely on there being an outside heat source; fireplace/woodstove. The other, may heat sufficiently enough to take the chill off, but are basically inefficient and make no noticeable warmth when outside temps get as cold as they have been lately. So, they just make your meter spin like a top.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I've lost track how long mines been running. Keep the house at 67 when we are home. We do have a wood stove but didn't get wood prior to winter (slipped our mind). So, I'm sure my bill will be just lovely :sarcasm:

Agee

Last night, as the temps dipped below zero (if I am to believe my cheapo outdoor thermometer), my heat pump was probably running constantly. And probably on emergency heat too. So I can probably slice deli meat on my electrical meter this morning. :biggrin:

:lmao:

As said, once temperatures fall below 40 degrees efficiency starts to suffer, at these temperatures forget about it! These systems were designed for more temperate climates. Mine will not keep-up, fortunately been able to supplement with a kerosene heater or woodstove.

Mine ran off and on all night in my second floor. First floor hasn't ran all winter. I bought a pellet stove and put it in my basement 8 winters ago. Heating a total of 3600 sq ft and my electric bills are about $120-140 a month in the wintertime. I burn around 4 tons a year (free delivery) and couldn't imagine being without it. The unit paid for itself in 2 years. Just a thought.

blacklabman

My future log home in Virginia has a heat pump, but there are also two propane fire places that should suffice during this type of cold.

DEEKAYPEE8569

:lmao:

As said, once temperatures fall below 40 degrees efficiency starts to suffer, at these temperatures forget about it! These systems were designed for more temperate climates. Mine will not keep-up, fortunately been able to supplement with a kerosene heater or woodstove.

If I had to choose, I'd pick a woodstove. Can't beat that kinda warmth; a woodstove and maybe a ceiling fan or two on lowest speed, and everything and everyone stays toasty. I learned a lesson about those kerosene heaters a few years ago. Keep a window cracked; counter-intuitive when you're trying to stay warm.
I fell asleep one night with one running and woke up (luckily) with a pounding headache and severe nausea. I was just on the good side of buying the farm.
A few years after that, I got a propane space heater. THAT thing was awesome.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Heat pump for the office has been running constantly for days...with the auxiliary electric on, of course. Electric bill will be huge accordingly. The shop on the ground floor below the offices is heated with a wood-burning stove and heat distribution ducting off of that. Been through over a cord of wood in the last week or so.

Agee

If I had to choose, I'd pick a woodstove. Can't beat that kinda warmth; a woodstove and maybe a ceiling fan or two on lowest speed, and everything and everyone stays toasty. I learned a lesson about those kerosene heaters a few years ago. Keep a window cracked; counter-intuitive when you're trying to stay warm.
I fell asleep one night with one running and woke up (luckily) with a pounding headache and severe nausea. I was just on the good side of buying the farm.
A few years after that, I got a propane space heater. THAT thing was awesome.

Agree totally with the woodstove, once its cranking keeps the house warm. Unfortunately, the kero heater does have those adverse affects you mentioned, try to use it just for emergency heat.

Blister

Mine ran off and on all night in my second floor. First floor hasn't ran all winter. I bought a pellet stove and put it in my basement 8 winters ago. Heating a total of 3600 sq ft and my electric bills are about $120-140 a month in the wintertime. I burn around 4 tons a year (free delivery) and couldn't imagine being without it. The unit paid for itself in 2 years. Just a thought.

How much is the cost of a ton of pellets? I burn usually 2 cords of wood per year, but don't how many more years I will want to be cutting and splitting wood.

Pellets cost between $220 and 260 a ton where I get them. The more you buy, the more you save. I have a buddy or two come over when they are delivered and we can move them into the basement in about an hour. No splitting and only handle them once. I fill up the stove once or twice a day depending on how high a setting the stove is on. Clean it once a week. If you have a small house, you could get by with a few tons or less a winter.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
So glad I have oil heat, I keep the house at 69 and it only kicks on about once every half hour when temps get this low.