Looking for a professional swimming coach

steppinthrax

My daughter needs some work on her swimming techniques. Swim mechanics etc. WE ARE NOT LOOKING FOR LEARNING HOW TO SWIM. We are looking for someone who would be starting with someone who already knows everything, but needs some practice in breast/back/free/butterfly etc...

BernieP

Resident PIA
There is a league, the coaches of those teams might be able to recommend someone. You could also contact the high school coaches.
Maybe at the Great Mills Pool they might have listings.
I'm not sure you are going to have a lot of luck finding a top notch coach in this area to the point there is a call for "professional" coaches.
There may be an AAU club?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
We live in Calvert County, but we are willing to travel, mainly she is in a swim team, but she needs some supplement.

Our Son is on the CBAC swim team with a multitude of certified coaches from the beginner (where they know the strokes but need refinement) to the Advanced. We have many parents that travel from Calvert to swim with CBAC as our facilities and coaches are hard to beat.

Not sure if any of them work one on one with swimmers, but will do exactly what you are looking for after an evaluation of where your daughter fits into one of our groups. We currently swim Copper (know how to swim but need to work on technique and stamina), then they progress by skill, age and experience through Bronze Silver and Gold. Our Copper swimmers (son included) swim an hour up to 5 times a week, either beginning or ending with a 500m freestyle swim, and working all four strokes, starting and turns.. the other groups swim 1.5 hours five days a week and Silver and Gold can also swim Saturday and Sunday.

CBAC offers a free trial period if you want to bring your daughter down to try our pool and see what you think about the coaches.

We don't know any different, but talking to other parents that travel to us, and pass two or three other teams on the way here, there must be something to it. We're lucky enough that our son started with lessons at the same pool through Seneca Swim School, and moved over to the CBAC swim team about 2 years ago (he's now 9). We LOVE his coaches, and what the future holds for him.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
CBAC is hosting a swim meet this coming weekend (the MD LSC Senior Championship) at St. Mary's College's Athletic & Recreation Complex. There will be hundreds of great swimmers there competing for the chance to progress through the other swimming meets and opportunities.

You should come down to see the meet, and to see if it is a group that she'd be interested in joining. :yay:

And to reiterate, CBAC offers the opportunity for your child to swim UP TO 5 evenings per week. It's up to you to pick the days that you want to go to....the fee is the same for one day per week, or five days per week.

steppinthrax

How about the new team Naval Academy (South). They swim at Edward T. Hall? It's pretty much Naval Academy that swims in Annapolis, but they are in Edward T. Hall.

Smith

Since Erik Collins stopped coaching at Edward T. Hall, most of the year-round swimmers I know have switched to CBAC.

steppinthrax

Since Erik Collins stopped coaching at Edward T. Hall, most of the year-round swimmers I know have switched to CBAC.

Who is he, what happened to him? How is the new team doing there?

Also CBAC is like 40 miles away, are parents carpooling?

Smith

Erik was the SMAC coach, and he took the kids to USA Swimming meets. He helped my daughter shave some serious time off her strokes in the one season he coached her. From what I understand, he had a falling out with Parks & Rec and left. It looks like Park & Rec is only offering Red Cross swimming lessons now with some more advanced level, although mostly geared towards younger children. I don't know about any other teams that meet there.

Is your daughter on a high school swim team? Either way, there are two summer swim teams in Calvert. Kings Landing Swim Team practices at the Kings Landing Pool and competes in the Prince-Mont swim league, so meets are against teams in Prince George's & Montgomery counties on Saturday mornings. The Cove Point Crocs practice at the Cove Point Park Pool, and competes in the Southern Maryland Swim League where meets are against teams in St. Mary's county, usually on weekday evenings.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

CBAC has a Facebook page, be worth it to go on and ask.. A LOT of parents commute from Calvert. I'm sure one would be willing to share the load.

Also didn't Know this until today.. the silver and Gold swimmers not only have practice 7 days a week (swimmers expected to swim at least three times a week) but they also offer 5 AM practice during the week. So up to 12 practices a week. Talking with a swim mom today, she takes her kids to the 5 AM and it's almost 1:1 coaching with the Head Coach. Maybe 5 kids swim and they have their routines, and as they are working their routines they get 1 on 1 time with the coach. Have to say, 5 AM practice? Not sure we'll ever be that dedicated.