Rain on top of snow.....

sm8

I do not think I remember a time when it rained with temps this low and this much snow on the ground. I am curious what generally happens when rain falls in this scenario. Will it melt it all away and have a beautiful Sunday? Will it coat everything in a layer of ice as it hits? Will it turn the ground to a solid sheet of ice? Any one know in general what would happen or just gotta wait it out and see?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
The last time it happened when it was this cold was 20 years ago. The rain came down, hit the cold pavement, wires, cars, tree limbs, etc. and froze immediately. Most places in SOMD didn't have electric for a week. Some areas were 3 weeks without power.

The upside if that happens is we won't hear all the bitching about heat pumps running all the time.

sm8

That would suck, I need to go to the grocery store so bad but have been putting it off because of the weather. I just do not want to deal with all of the Milk, Bread, TP crazies and the cold. I would not be such a sissy but I have a newborn I do not want to be dragging around in this junk.

Edited to add: I was really hoping the rain would just magically wash everything away and we would have a beautiful warm and sunny Sunday but I did not want to get my hopes up and be disappointed.

OldHillcrestGuy

Not just roadside flooding, could be some basements, there is a lot of snow still on the ground from the storm, because its been so cold very little has melted on its own. Now you add rain on top of it, and you will have slushie dams of melting snow that cant drain properly. It might not be good for roofs either especially flat ones with snow still on them and frozen water in downspouts.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
And the ground is deep frozen so any rain that falls will run off instead of soaking in. If the weather plays out like it is looking to right now, we may be in for a couple or three interesting days.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
02212015.jpg

It is not going to be pretty.

sm8

I bit the bullet and braved the grocery store, man it was a mad house. I am sure every one near by thought I was nuts when I got to the sausage (I have been really wanting some sausage) and the shelves were all but picked clean. I guess people now want sides with their French toast. We need to add Sausage to the snow storm prep list.

sm8

On the global warming topic it is all this going green too fast. They've done tipped the scales too far with switching to these little "green" vehicles. Quick everyone run out and buy a big gas guzzling SUV and make things right again.

TPD

the poor dad
Raining in Ridge - time for an apéritif since it is now a safe bet I won't be called out on the snow plow!

glhs837

Power with Control
If the roads are like my driveway down here near SMC, we need you to get out there sanding the road. My driveway could be used as a skating rink.

TPD

the poor dad
If the roads are like my driveway down here near SMC, we need you to get out there sanding the road. My driveway could be used as a skating rink.

My wife said the same thing about the deck when she came in about an hour ago. Salt trucks were out and about when I came home at 4.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Just came back from walking the dog - neither of us enjoyed that. VERY icy out there. Thanks, all you Prius drivers. :mad:

MarieB

I drove home tonight at 6:30ish. All the sidewalks, etc were horrible but the roads were still fine at that point. I kept wondering whether I would get home before that point when it freezes. I saw a salt truck on 235 when I was driving.

Last edited:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Lower SoMd in the 2-4" range according to Channel 9

Attachments

• 635604376202659158-120-Hand-Drawn-Snow-Totals-1st-Call.jpg
    635604376202659158-120-Hand-Drawn-Snow-Totals-1st-Call.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 128