CO2 Canister Refills in St. Mary's?

moonchilddave

I have a Fizz Giz home carbonator - much like the Soda Stream but takes up a lot less counter space.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KAJA29K/

Ever since I got it, the drinks I've made haven't tasted right. I got a 20oz JT paintball can to use with it and had it filled at True Value in Leonardtown. Is it possible either the tank (bought at Walmart) was contaminated from the get go or could TV have possibly used a lubricant when hooking up the canister that is causing the odd taste?

Anyone know of a good reliable CO2 (for beverage use) refill place in St. Mary's???

officeguy

You mean the taste changed after you had the cartridge refilled or it never tasted right ?

I would look at your source of water first, the CO2 second.

The correct source would be a company that provides CO2 for beverage applications (Roberts, Airgas, AirLiquide), not a hardware or welding store.

black dog

Free America
You mean the taste changed after you had the cartridge refilled or it never tasted right ?

I would look at your source of water first, the CO2 second.

The correct source would be a company that provides CO2 for beverage applications (Roberts, Airgas, AirLiquide), not a hardware or welding store.

Why not a welding supply ?? Who do you think supply's all welding stores except Roberts ? Airgas silly, that's who supply's Three Mules and your local hardware store.
Look around sometime and you will see Three Mules trucks delivering to the local restaurantsand service stations with there compressed gas needs.

officeguy

Why not a welding supply ?? Who do you think supply's all welding stores except Roberts ? Airgas silly, that's who supply's Three Mules and your local hardware store.

It's the same gas, the only difference is the paperwork that travels with it. Bottles for food service, medical and laboratory gas supply typically get evacuated before you get them re-filled, welding bottles can just be topped off. If you buy food service CO2 (or Nitrous) from Roberts or Airgas, they are going to handle the cylinders the way required for food service applications.

I had three-mules (correctly) refuse to fill a medical bottle because they didn't have the equipment to do it right. I talked him into doing it anyway because I needed to get it done that day.....

Again, I doubt it's the CO2 that causes the soda to taste funny.

black dog

Free America
I just talked to my son who shoots paintball and he tells me that some retailers that fill paintball Co2 tanks have a oil injector in the filling line to put oil in your tank to lubricate your paintball gun when its being used.

black dog

Free America
It's the same gas, the only difference is the paperwork that travels with it. Bottles for food service, medical and laboratory gas supply typically get evacuated before you get them re-filled, welding bottles can just be topped off. If you buy food service CO2 (or Nitrous) from Roberts or Airgas, they are going to handle the cylinders the way required for food service applications.

I had three-mules (correctly) refuse to fill a medical bottle because they didn't have the equipment to do it right. I talked him into doing it anyway because I needed to get it done that day.....

Again, I doubt it's the CO2 that causes the soda to taste funny.

Three Mules does not refill any tanks in house except propane and Nitrous Oxide.. All other high pressure bottles are exchange..you swap your bottle for one that is full.

somdfunguy

not impressed
I just talked to my son who shoots paintball and he tells me that some retailers that fill paintball Co2 tanks have a oil injector in the filling line to put oil in your tank to lubricate your paintball gun when its being used.

Truth, this is common knowledge amongst home brewers.

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
They can re-fill oxygen bottles in-house.

As a man that owns a metal shop and does business with the Olivers and is also a family friend i will tell you again that the information you are tossing out is NOT CORRECT.. Three Mules Welding does NOT refill Oxygen bottels inhouse... they get swaped out with the customer bottle's and then Air-products swaps them out with there delivery truck. And they haul the emptys back to there warehouse and refill there.
Thats why you could not get YOUR personal bottle refilled there. If you want to keep your pretty new gas bottle you have to take it somewhere that refills Oxygen onsite, And thats not Three Mules.

L8RG8R

Three Mules does not refill any tanks in house except propane and Nitrous Oxide.. All other high pressure bottles are exchange..you swap your bottle for one that is full.

I bring in my C02 tank for my kegerator to get filled by Doc down at Three Mules in Great Mills all the time.

officeguy

As a man that owns a metal shop and does business with the Olivers and is also a family friend i will tell you again that the information you are tossing out is NOT CORRECT.. Three Mules Welding does NOT refill Oxygen bottels inhouse... they get swaped out with the customer bottle's and then Air-products swaps them out with there delivery truck. And they haul the emptys back to there warehouse and refill there.
have to take it somewhere that refills Oxygen onsite, And thats not Three Mules.
[/quote]

Gave him my D sized cylinder, got the same cylinder back 5min later, warm and full. I know it is the same, unless they stenciled my name on it in the 5min I was in the store.

black dog

Free America
Yea that's amazing that you got a oxygen refill from equipment that's not at either store. You need to have a oxygen concentrator and a oxygen compressor that will produce at least 3,600 psi.. They have neither.
I'm done here..

officeguy

Yea that's amazing that you got a oxygen refill from equipment that's not at either store. You need to have a oxygen concentrator and a oxygen compressor that will produce at least 3,600 psi.. They have neither.
I'm done here..

I assume he filled it from a cascade-rig made from larger bottles. You need neither a concentrator nor a compressor to do that. Just a transfill adapter and two or more bottles much larger than the one you are planning to fill.