Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SMECO Home Energy Report - Liberals vs Conservatives

Quote Originally Posted by Tilted View Post
    Mine always tells me I use less than my neighbors. When my roommates moved out, that made a big difference - before that I was sometimes above my neighbors, but for the most part in the same ballpark.

Getting my Nest thermostat a couple of years ago made a big difference for me as well. I've found that I have a far better intuitive sense of when I'm wasting money now, so I don't waste nearly as much. And beyond the general sense that it gives me, it saves me energy and thus money by automatically adjusting settings when I'm away for significant periods of time or inactive for long periods (which typically means I'm asleep).

I'd add that, aside from regulating thermal conditions, I tend to be fairly wasteful - e.g., I leave lights and TVs and computers and such on. But those things don't matter nearly as much as the thermal manipulation stuff, so I still end up with relatively low electricity bills.
    I live in a fairly large house and don’t have the most efficient heat pumps. I’m too cheap to invest in an upgrade. Kind of ironic I’m willing to pay more in electric bill than pay the price for the upgrade. I think the big problem is, when we moved in we finished the basement and that’s tied to the main floor system that wasn’t designed for that size. And we like to keep it warm in the house. I absolutely hate being cold. FL is in my future.
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

Quote Originally Posted by PsyOps View Post
    I live in a fairly large house and don’t have the most efficient heat pumps. I’m too cheap to invest in an upgrade. Kind of ironic I’m willing to pay more in electric bill than pay the price for the upgrade. I think the big problem is, when we moved in we finished the basement and that’s tied to the main floor system that wasn’t designed for that size. And we like to keep it warm in the house. I absolutely hate being cold. FL is in my future.
    I wouldn't say you are cheap, they can talk savings all they want, but do you (we, me) have the cash to make that upfront investment for the new system?
    Need to replace A/C this year, had a pitch from one company about all the money I would save with the GP6000 (gold platted).
    Well it might cover the price difference in 10 years, but I may not be in the house in 10 years and frankly don't have the extra couple of K to sink into the high end system.
    Your signature can not be longer than 100 characters - BS

Use less than my neighbors in the winter and more in the summer. I haven't changed my ways because their report comes out.
    Having too much ammunition in the house is like having too much fuel in your aircraft; the only time you have too much is when you're on fire.

The Second Amendment "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The SMECO reports *always* say I use a lot more than my neighbors - BUT -

They're somehow under the impression that my square footage is about 60% of what it actually IS. So the report will compare me to MUCH smaller houses in the area. Now, I use CFL's and lower my thermostat and hell, I yank the dryer exhaust in winter to vent inside. I use those plastic sheets to cover the leakier windows and so forth. I do the best I can but I still use a lot because my house is old and drafty and it would take much more than I can afford to insulate enough to bring it down. It would cost thousands - to bring down the electric a hundred. Unless I plan to be here for life, it's good money chasing bad.
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by BernieP View Post
    I wouldn't say you are cheap, they can talk savings all they want, but do you (we, me) have the cash to make that upfront investment for the new system?
    Need to replace A/C this year, had a pitch from one company about all the money I would save with the GP6000 (gold platted).
    Well it might cover the price difference in 10 years, but I may not be in the house in 10 years and frankly don't have the extra couple of K to sink into the high end system.
    This is where I wished I had boned up on my HVAC skills. I could install my own.
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

Hodr
    I don't remember ever receiving this report. I would actually like to see how I compare. It wouldn't affect my habits as I already conserve about as much as possible without doing some major remodeling / energy efficiency upgrades. Of course if it said I don't use as much as the neighbors my wife might take that as an excuse to raise the thermostat a couple of degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by PsyOps View Post
    Liberal!
    Apparently I'm even more of a liberal than we thought. I just looked at the latest energy report that I got from SMECO, it has me well below my efficient neighbors even though it's comparing me to neighbors with homes of significantly less square footage. I hadn't noticed that latter part before. It's comparing mine to homes averaging less than 2,100 square feet, my home is more like 4,000 square feet - though some of that is unfinished basement, it's still conditioned.

The report still has me below 1,300 kWh for the December / January period versus about 1,600 kWh for my efficient neighbors and over 2,200 kWh for all my neighbors. I must be a full-fledged commie.

Or maybe it's just that I'm the only one (regularly) living here now and I keep the heat set at 56 degrees.
    Nearly all success in electoral politics boils down to convincing people that you recognize that they are not the problem, that someone or something else is.

Your report will not look good next month after the cold temps we've had!
    http://www.somdnews.com/article/2015...uthernMaryland

But your bill should decrease this summer if SMECO gets their way!
    http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/02...-charges-.html

Another reason to run Nat Gas lines through the county. In Nat gas, people will heat their homes using a gas furnaces, instead of a heat pump. In this case a gas furnace is efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
    Another reason to run Nat Gas lines through the county. In Nat gas, people will heat their homes using a gas furnaces, instead of a heat pump. In this case a gas furnace is efficient.
    As you've been told before, that horse left the barn decades ago. The density here isn't high enough to justify the cost for the gas company (nor could most people be able to afford it) to install service, especially as a retrofit. It's the same as cable in some areas, not enough customers for Comcast, or whatever, to install the wiring. Parts of southern Prince George's and Charles Counties are like that.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.