Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cameron Appointed to Governor's Task Force

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    A little over 400 people died last year. In a state with about 6 million people.

0.007%

I won't deny more treatment is needed, but in reality, what can this "task force" accomplish?
    Better communication and education about the issue in the state?

Quote Originally Posted by sockgirl77 View Post
    Apparently you do not know how bad the heroin and opioid abuse issue has gotten in Maryland.
    Trust me, I'm fully aware. I asked you how do you feel he is going to do a great job?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
    Trust me, I'm fully aware. I asked you how do you feel he is going to do a great job?
    Do I really have to explain why I think that he'll do a good job? Tim Cameron has been a wonderful sheriff. He has done very well for this county. He's concerned enough to join the task force. How many other local sheriffs are on the task force?

Quote Originally Posted by sockgirl77 View Post
    Better communication and education about the issue in the state?
    Both are good things, but is this task force going to recommend more state money go toward treatment instead of locking people up?

Are they going to use state money (while at the same time claiming the state is broke and needs cuts), or are they going to use federal money?

I guess I'm just a little disappointed that a "conservative" feels the need to create more government.

Both are good things, but is this task force going to recommend more state money go toward treatment instead of locking people up?

Are they going to use state money (while at the same time claiming the state is broke and needs cuts), or are they going to use federal money?

I guess I'm just a little disappointed that a "conservative" feels the need to create more government.
    How would anyone, including the members of the task force know what they are going to recommend until they examine the problem?

Isn't the purpose of the task force to meet with the stake holders and to determine a better course of action than the last administration had?

You definately are minimizing the 400 deaths. I don't know about you, but that, while a small percentage of our population is a huge number.

This problem has become a big problem. If the course of action remains the same, the problem will only get bigger.

As for the other guy who asked why Cameron will do a good job. I would say past preformance is an indicator of future results. The sheriff has proven his critical thinking skills and I believe will only enhance this task force.

Quote Originally Posted by rdytogo View Post
    How would anyone, including the members of the task force know what they are going to recommend until they examine the problem?

Isn't the purpose of the task force to meet with the stake holders and to determine a better course of action than the last administration had?

You definately are minimizing the 400 deaths. I don't know about you, but that, while a small percentage of our population is a huge number.

This problem has become a big problem. If the course of action remains the same, the problem will only get bigger.

As for the other guy who asked why Cameron will do a good job. I would say past preformance is an indicator of future results. The sheriff has proven his critical thinking skills and I believe will only enhance this task force.
    What is there to examine? That people are using heroin? That most users started using opiates via legal, prescription meds?

What "better" course of action can they take?

I'm not minimizing it. More people died via suicide than heroin overdoses. Where's the suicide task force? If this heroin problem were the "epidemic" people make it seem like, why aren't these heroin deaths outnumbering suicide, or auto accidents, or a number of other factors?

http://dhmh.maryland.gov/vsa/Documents/13annual.pdf

The course of action WILL remain the same because the only option is to continue to arrest and charge users. Unless you believe this task force will recommend the state and federal govt. do something about the legality of heroin.

If you want to use St. Mary's as an indicator, these numbers were provided by Sheriff Cameron earlier this month.
    Statistics provided by Cameron and Alioto show heroin arrests doubled in St. Mary’s County from 2013 to 2014 (15 vs. 31), and although lethal overdoses declined from 5 to 3, non-lethal overdoes rose from 3 to 5. The statistics showed a precipitous decline in prescription drug overdose deaths from 2011 to 2013, hitting just one in 2013, showing the switch to the cheaper, easier to secure heroin. But in 2014 the prescription drug deaths rose to two, indicating that problem has not gone away.
    And according to the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene:
    The largest number of heroin-related deaths continue to occur in Central Maryland (including the Baltimore Metro area), which experienced a 47% increase. Southern Maryland and the Eastern Shore have also seen substantial increases of 54% and 80%, respectively.
    http://bha.dhmh.maryland.gov/OVERDOS...INAL%20(5).pdf

So, will this task force recommend more arrests? More treatment? Education? All things already pushed by MDHMH for years now.

What will this task force accomplish in the narrow scope of items they can change?

What is there to examine? That people are using heroin? That most users started using opiates via legal, prescription meds?

What "better" course of action can they take?

I'm not minimizing it. More people died via suicide than heroin overdoses. Where's the suicide task force? If this heroin problem were the "epidemic" people make it seem like, why aren't these heroin deaths outnumbering suicide, or auto accidents, or a number of other factors?

http://dhmh.maryland.gov/vsa/Documents/13annual.pdf

The course of action WILL remain the same because the only option is to continue to arrest and charge users. Unless you believe this task force will recommend the state and federal govt. do something about the legality of heroin.

If you want to use St. Mary's as an indicator, these numbers were provided by Sheriff Cameron earlier this month.

And according to the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene:

http://bha.dhmh.maryland.gov/OVERDOS...INAL%20(5).pdf

So, will this task force recommend more arrests? More treatment? Education? All things already pushed by MDHMH for years now.

What will this task force accomplish in the narrow scope of items they can change?
    First, here is the answer to your question about suicides. That's a simple search, you really shouldn't pose a seemingly rhetorical question without knowing the answer.

Secondly, you ask a lot of questions, but seem to ignore that the answer to these questions can be found by including all stakeholders.

You appear to be focused on treatment. That very well may be an outcome of this task force findings. More treatment is needed, or preventative measures. You really don't know until the issue is looked at from all perspectives.

http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual...33suicide.html

Quote Originally Posted by rdytogo View Post
    First, here is the answer to your question about suicides. That's a simple search, you really shouldn't pose a seemingly rhetorical question without knowing the answer.

Secondly, you ask a lot of questions, but seem to ignore that the answer to these questions can be found by including all stakeholders.

You appear to be focused on treatment. That very well may be an outcome of this task force findings. More treatment is needed, or preventative measures. You really don't know until the issue is looked at from all perspectives.

http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual...33suicide.html
    You're correct, there is a suicide commission under the DHMH. Not a "task force", but for the sake of arguing, it's the same.

This was their last 2 year plan.
    http://dlslibrary.state.md.us/public...9.13E_2012.pdf

How much of that has come to fruition? Outside of literally making recommendations, there's not much they can, nor will do.

Now factor in the fact that heroin is illegal, what in the world can this task force seriously accomplish?

Hogan was elected to solve fiscal issues, not create a personal crusade because his relative died of a heroin. Between the literally hundreds of political appointments to various positions and creating meaningless task forces, where's the conservatism? Where's the cost savings? Simply taking money from the federal govt. and not using state money (so far) is not conservatism, and not why folks like me voted for him.

I'm just confused on why you, or anyone believes this task force is somehow better at looking "from all perspectives" than any other state agency that focuses on drug use, and has for decades.

You've essentially said, "yea, we need the task force for whatever reason they deem they are necessary".

You're correct, there is a suicide commission under the DHMH. Not a "task force", but for the sake of arguing, it's the same.

This was their last 2 year plan.
    http://dlslibrary.state.md.us/public...9.13E_2012.pdf

How much of that has come to fruition? Outside of literally making recommendations, there's not much they can, nor will do.
    Could you tell me what the last two years has to do with Hogan?

Hogan was elected to solve fiscal issues, not create a personal crusade because his relative died of a heroin. Between the literally hundreds of political appointments to various positions and creating meaningless task forces, where's the conservatism? Where's the cost savings? Simply taking money from the federal govt. and not using state money (so far) is not conservatism, and not why folks like me voted for him.
    Other's would argue that this was due to a campaing promise. This is not the only issue the governor is working on. I believe the McLaughlin family and 399 other families in Maryland, as well as thousands of others welcome this task force. 400 deaths may not be important to you, but check with any ER doctor and ask them if this is a good idea. I would venture to guess the vast majority would welcome this group.

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (WJZ)–Governor Hogan makes good on a promise to get a handle on Maryland’s heroin problem.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.