Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Cameron Appointed to Governor's Task Force

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    I'm just confused on why you, or anyone believes this task force is somehow better at looking "from all perspectives" than any other state agency that focuses on drug use, and has for decades.

    You've essentially said, "yea, we need the task force for whatever reason they deem they are necessary".
    I believe this task force is better at looking at this problem because they are going to look at it from a local level including all the stake holders. I've never said we need them for whatever reason they deem they are necessary. I am sorry if that is what you got out of this, but I believe I have been very clear to explain that this is a group which includes some very critical thinkers, as well as other stakeholders who have a first hand account of what the problem might be.

    The problem, as it exists may not pose the same issues as in Baltimore City as it does in Leonardtown.

    How do YOU fix the problem. You have a lot of issues with this task force, but you haven't come up with ideas on how to fix this problem. Share your wisdom.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by rdytogo View Post
    Could you tell me what the last two years has to do with Hogan?
    We're talking about the Suicide Commission.

    Do you believe that with a new governor, all these satellite commissions and task forces will somehow become productive in actually making their recommendations come to fruition?

    Because that's my point. We've got commissions and task forces already. A bunch of them. I simply don't believe this one will be any different than the others, and it's a waste of resources.

  3. #23
    Registered User sockgirl77's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Here.
    Posts
    49,005
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by rdytogo View Post
    How do YOU fix the problem. You have a lot of issues with this task force, but you haven't come up with ideas on how to fix this problem. Share your wisdom.
    He has issues with anything LEO related. He's bashed the local police and the local government for years and years.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    We're talking about the Suicide Commission.

    Do you believe that with a new governor, all these satellite commissions and task forces will somehow become productive in actually making their recommendations come to fruition?

    Because that's my point. We've got commissions and task forces already. A bunch of them. I simply don't believe this one will be any different than the others, and it's a waste of resources.
    You are entitled to your opinion. My opinion is you are wrong. Have a good day.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by rdytogo View Post
    I believe this task force is better at looking at this problem because they are going to look at it from a local level including all the stake holders. I've never said we need them for whatever reason they deem they are necessary. I am sorry if that is what you got out of this, but I believe I have been very clear to explain that this is a group which includes some very critical thinkers, as well as other stakeholders who have a first hand account of what the problem might be.

    The problem, as it exists may not pose the same issues as in Baltimore City as it does in Leonardtown.

    How do YOU fix the problem. You have a lot of issues with this task force, but you haven't come up with ideas on how to fix this problem. Share your wisdom.
    You can't seriously think this task force is a new idea, do you? You can't believe this is the only time the state has looked at local drug use issues, can you? what has all these "drug summits" in St. Mary's accomplished? Sitting in a room, bringing out ex-addicts and sharing their sob stories, then singing kumbaya afterward has done, what, exactly?

    You keep saying, "stakeholders". Whom would that be?

    What I meant by "whatever reason they deem they are necessary", is that this task force (or any, for that matter) will not come back to Hogan and say "Well, there's nothing we can do, no use in this task force". They believe they can get something done regardless of roadblocks that are in their way. I know you believe there are critical thinkers in the group, and that's good, but how do they differ from the people at DHMH or other groups that focus on drug use?


    How I'd fix the problem? How long do you have?

    First off, I'd flat out tell everyone the drug war isn't working. Treating addicts and users as criminals is not working, and addicts should be treated as sick people that deserve treatment, not jail. I'd recommend decriminalizing all drugs and re-focus a portion of the money wasted on criminalizing these people into treating them.

    I have first hand experience with this heroin "epidemic" and will tell you that there are little resources for addicts out there that don't require large sums of money. We should build these treatment centers and not rely on volunteers or grants to do so. Of course, if Hogan is saying the state is broke, and his task force says the state should build treatment centers, then what? Removing the financial burden of enforcing drug laws from law enforcement would save money, and possibly enough to build these treatment centers.

    These things go hand in hand, and Hogan cannot, with a straight face say to the state, "we need to make cuts because we're broke", then appoint this task force to focus on a problem that kills 0.007% of MD's population. A task force that, in reality, can't do much outside of recommending things. Things the state can't pay for.

    Narcan implementation is a good thing, but that wasn't Hogan's doing, and they didn't need a special task force to implement that. It was done through the state agency that already focuses on drug abuse.
    Last edited by Chris0nllyn; 02-26-2015 at 03:15 PM.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by sockgirl77 View Post
    He has issues with anything LEO related. He's bashed the local police and the local government for years and years.
    Except I'm not bashing LEOs here, am I? I believe I agreed that it was "cool" Cameron is on the task force.

    I'm bashing a so-called conservative governor who ran on a platform of saving this god-forsaken state some money, and his ridiculous idea for this "task force".
    Last edited by Chris0nllyn; 02-26-2015 at 03:13 PM.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by rdytogo View Post
    You are entitled to your opinion. My opinion is you are wrong. Have a good day.
    You do the same. Sorry you can't provide reasoning behind your opinion.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |