Are schools failing our boys?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Interesting article by a stressed out mom who's son is having a hard time in school. Mom blames little Jonny's problem with the way we restrict movement in school.

Agree or disagree?

My 8-year-old son has been struggling in school. Again.

Re-entry after winter break has not been easy for him. The rules and restrictions of school – Sit Still. Be Quiet. Do What You Are Told, Nothing More, Nothing Less. – have been grating on him, and it shows. His teacher recently emailed me; she’d noticed a change in his behavior (more belligerent, less likely to cooperate) and wanted to know if there was anything going on at home.

My guess, I said, was that he was upset about having to be back in school after break. I was right.
The lack of movement and rigid restrictions associated with modern schooling are killing my son’s soul.

School daze

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That here is funny and made me laugh.

It's not funny. It's a disaster. While we promote girls being able to do ANYTHING, play football, wrestling, Navy SEAL's, YOU can DO it!!! ...we tells boys to sit down, shut up and sedate them.
I am ALL for the promotion girls being as active as they wanna be and promoting them chasing their passions, dreams and talents, and pave the way for them to have opportunities, it should not at the expense of boys.

Can you imagine a little girl who won't sit still, who stares out the window wishing she was running and jumping and climbing trees instead of doing her grammar or math work, who made a gun out of everything from her pencil to her ruler, doodled incessantly about machines that don't exist, made a paper airplane that would fly one end of the class to the other and someone even suggesting she needs to be drugged to get her to conform?

She'd be celebrated and lauded.

Two dear friends of mine have two little boys and, I am sorry, boys are different. She is constantly posting pics of what they are up to and it ain't calm! The youngest has been climbing the refrigerator since he was 3 or 4. They're just...boys. Yes, they're exhausting. Yes, they're messy and disruptive but, don't we have enough slack jawed zombies that sit in front of computers and games all the time, digital Ritalin?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Larry, it's you men's fault (as most things are). When the feminists (who you shouldn't have let run amok in the first place) decided that boys should be girls, you all men should have put your foot down. When your* wife came home with the crackpot idea of drugging your son into submission, you should have told that bitch to get back in the kitchen and make you some pie. But you were lazy and let her get brainwashed by the crazies. Now ADD has become an industry and status symbol.

Thanks, guys.

* "You" meaning men in general, not Larry Gude personally.

terbear1225

My boy is one of those that has trouble with the sit still and be quiet thing. He does have "issues" but we are fighting like mad to avoid any kind of medication. What kills me is if he's had a bad day at school, they will take away recess time so he can finish work. Of all things, this kid NEEDS recess to work out some energy!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Larry, it's you men's fault (as most things are). When the feminists (who you shouldn't have let run amok in the first place) decided that boys should be girls, you all men should have put your foot down. When your* wife came home with the crackpot idea of drugging your son into submission, you should have told that bitch to get back in the kitchen and make you some pie. But you were lazy and let her get brainwashed by the crazies. Now ADD has become an industry and status symbol.

Thanks, guys.

* "You" meaning men in general, not Larry Gude personally.

They said it would come to, sooner or later, this the day after we gave y'all the vote. :banghead:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It's not our fault you can't control your women. Celebrities and politicians manage to control them just fine.

How so?

Gary Heart. The Breck Girl, Kerry's veep choice. Mrs. and Mrs. Kardashian. Mrs. Ford spent her life drunk and drugged.

A little help here. What are you saying?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It's not our fault you can't control your women. Celebrities and politicians manage to control them just fine.

And, BTW, that's crap. I just got done with a dating site and here's a few observations;

ALL women use a picture that, clearly, has their ex cut out unless there is some wall women lean up against for their picture and they just don't want their hands in the shot.

ALL women want 'a nice guy, friend first, wine tastings, Wolf Trap, Sundays for a country drive, can wear jeans and rock the Kennedy Center dress up, want to network and are 'very active' but can still watch a movie...go to all the local sports teams games (Go Ravens/Skins/Caps!) and family is the most important thing in their world."

I mean, not ALL, but damn near. OR, they LOVE to bake. And like my fat ass needs to be surrounded by cakes and pies and glucose meters and syringes in the first place.

Even the freaking biker chick sites.

None of y'all say "Wanted; an ####### but a well meaning one who will put me in my place, tell me no when I want horses/theater tix/new drapes, slap me in the ass and tell me to get back in the kitchen." Other than the first, its not like I want any of that anyway. I have enough trouble telling myself what to do so, #### that.

My next add will say "Wanted; hot babe, RICH, sick of the gig, dying to have space and slower pace, will accept a reasonable looking guy, funny, has a band and a business that just needs you and your checkbook, decent enough lay, chews with mouth close for the most part, conversationalist and well meaning a hole. And you LOVE to ride. BYOmaid"

Enough with this "Well, I am a nice guy, uh....witty...err...wine, beaches...mountains...err...good listener..."

SG_Player1974

My next add will say "Wanted; hot babe, RICH, sick of the gig, dying to have space and slower pace, will accept a reasonable looking guy, funny, has a band and a business that just needs you and your checkbook, decent enough lay, chews with mouth close for the most part, conversationalist and well meaning a hole. And you LOVE to ride. BYOmaid"

Damn it Larry..... stop stealing my profile! :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
ALL women want 'a nice guy, friend first, wine tastings, Wolf Trap, Sundays for a country drive, can wear jeans and rock the Kennedy Center dress up, want to network and are 'very active' but can still watch a movie...go to all the local sports teams games (Go Ravens/Skins/Caps!) and family is the most important thing in their world."

I hate to tell you this, but that's what all the guy ads say, too. It's usually accompanied by a photo of them shirtless in the mirror or a photo of them with their kids or one of them 20-some years ago.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I hate to tell you this, but that's what all the guy ads say, too. It's usually accompanied by a photo of them shirtless in the mirror or a photo of them with their kids or one of them 20-some years ago.

Well, not having perused the guy ads, I am willing to take your word on it. Maybe that's why I've had limited success. Need to dig out those high school football team pics and lie about my interests. :lol:

PeoplesElbow

Long about 1989/1990 my dad got a call from my Bio teacher to come in for a conference because i stared out the window too much . I never understood what the big deal was I was not disruptive and I got B's in that crazy bitches class.