Anemia and iron supplements

CRHS89

Anyone on here been diagnosed with anemia and taken supplements? Do they work? Is there a noticeable increase in energy level? If so how long does it take to notice it?

gretchen

Anyone on here been diagnosed with anemia and taken supplements? Do they work? Is there a noticeable increase in energy level? If so how long does it take to notice it?

I had to take them for anemia from heavy cycles. I never noticed feeling any better,and in fact had an increase in reflux and dizziness. With that said,I did stop constantly eating ice and having a racing heart every time I went upstairs. And my hemoglobin and hematocrit got better,although for me it was always two steps forward,one step back. I wasn't as compliant as I could have been,either - I would often only take one pill to mitigate the side effects. I got mine at BJs for about 7.00 for a years supply,Nature Made was the brand. So yes,they work,but like anything it was with a catch.

gretchen

I should also add depending on your situation,IV iron is an option. It dramatically raises your levels pretty fast,and no pills every day. I avoided it because I didn't want the risk of allergic reaction and IV iron is hard on the veins - very irritating.

musiclady

Iron supplements give you constipation. I would have to skip doses to go. Did not notice a difference in energy. My anemia got so bad I got IV iron instead. Immediate results! Much easier on the digestion and no daily pill.

Bonehead

Best supplement on the market (for anemia) is Floradix liquid. Expensive and tastes funky but is readily absorbed and works quickly.

TGB

Yes, they help. However, you need to find out what is causing the anemia. For example, If you drink a lot of milk it can lead to calcium induced anemia. If you ingest a lot of antacid pills that can leach out calcium that can cause anemia, If your vitamin b and vitamin d are low that can cause anemia. Get you micromineral and vitamins checked. No point taking it if you don't know the root cause of the anemia. My sister-in-law was anemic and after a lot of insisting the doctor checked her mineral and found out she was low on both vitamins B and D and once they were in check her anemia was cured.