Hunting Club

OysterToad

I have the opportunity to lease/purchase a 250 acre sight in St. Mary's, that I would like to start a hunting club on. The property consists of the following:
60 acres of tilled fields
190 acres of forest.
Three waterfowl blinds on creeks
One waterfowl blind on a field
One offshore blind on open water
2 Bedroom house in good shape with kitchen and living areas, fully maintained
Garage with walk in box
Plenty of RV parking next to house.
The hunting areas are fully maintained, blinds, stands and trails

I do not have any ideas on rules, times, procedures, at this time.
Basically it would be a show up and hunt after rules and procedures are established by the members
I would like to limit it to 20-25 members.
Just want to know if there is interest and what would a club like this be worth on an annual basis.

Your opinions will be appreciated

sockgirl77

It is private land.
What does the county have anything to do with it?

Do you think he's going to let people join for free? He'll have to apply for a this and apply for a that. I hope that he can get all of the this(es?) and thats. I'd love to see a hunting club.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Do you think he's going to let people join for free? He'll have to apply for a this and apply for a that. I hope that he can get all of the this(es?) and thats. I'd love to see a hunting club.

I allow people to hunt on my property.

OysterToad

It's in Southern St. Mary's and will be a private hunting club, that will sub-lease or lease the property from me, thats where the money will go. What the club decides to do after that is up in the air.
No permits are required as it is just for hunting and no commercial operations will be allowed except farming.

General Lee

It would be a great idea IF the county would actually allow such a thing.

The county has no say. A dude says hey, who wants to join up and pitch in for the yearly lease cost? Fees are paid to the land owner and said people hunt. Simple as that.

Midnightrider

It's in Southern St. Mary's and will be a private hunting club, that will sub-lease or lease the property from me, thats where the money will go. What the club decides to do after that is up in the air.
No permits are required as it is just for hunting and no commercial operations will be allowed except farming.

25 members for 250 acres seems like a lot. But I would be interested if you actually have geese and duck to hunt.

If you are talking a straight lease how much are you looking to get?

OysterToad

25 members for 250 acres seems like a lot. But I would be interested if you actually have geese and duck to hunt.

If you are talking a straight lease how much are you looking to get?

Lots of ducks, geese regularly

It depends on the number of members.

I'm also thinks of providing Gators and small skiffs.

Last edited:

I'm interested. Please keep me informed.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The club I belong to now has only about 40 acres, 6 shore blinds and several hunting skiffs, and roughly 80 members. Only about 20 or 25 are active to the extent that they engage in waterfowl hunting every year, and then only 10-12 on any given weekend during the season....so I would think 250 acres would be a really nice sized operation.

The only thing I saw in the list of "features" that would probably invite regulatory scrutiny is the "RV parking"..but only if the intent is to provide "hookups" for electric, water and sewage.

An observation from running our club; keeping the skiffs running and in good condition is a major challenge when the members (whose small boat operating skills and local water knowledge may often be about nil) have unrestricted use of them. Their ability to tear up our tractor and other motorized vehicles is not too shabby either. :nomoney:

Last edited:

OysterToad

Thanks for your interest and comments.
I would like more comments and interest and will keep everyone posted on progress.

nutz

Thanks for your interest and comments.
I would like more comments and interest and will keep everyone posted on progress.

To provide camping sites (of any type) the county will want to see your plan for sewage treatment and/or disposal. The neighbors may raise a fuss about animal remains and the way they are disposed of, increased traffic, noise, days/hours of operation, etc...

You might try talking to Mr. Whalen of the Big Foot Hunt Club
http://www.bizapedia.com/md/BIG-FOOT-HUNT-CLUB-INC.html

Chris0nllyn

Will you be a land owner leasing to a club, or will you be both the landowner and club President?

Cost-wise, what are you thinking?

I assume it's dependent on the number of members? Personally, I'd rather pay more for a lease with less people.

What about meetings and such?