Two dogs getting old. Should I add a pup.?

FlyFishin

I have two beagles , ones a mix, they are 12 years old in good shape. They sleep a lot but they can jump up on the bed and they both are very mobile and healthy. Had to have some growths removed recently. But they seem no worse for it. Good dogs, I love them a lot. I don't know how they will be when one goes.. I will not let them deteriorate or suffer. They have been too good. When it's time I will put them down. Question I have is should I get a young pup now? I think they have another two or three years left. Would love to hear people's thoughts.

R

rhenderson

That's a question only you can answer. Having the older dog(s) around could help in training a new puppy. However, you may have to deal with jealousy issues when you introduce an new puppy into the household. You should also consider whether your own age(s) are a factor in the decision. (My wife and I have not replaced our last dog for that reason.)

Bottom line - you know your dogs better than anyone else.

I have a 14 year old and a 14 1/2 year old mini-schnauzer. Both are active and neither seems to be at end of life. However, I wouldn't dream of adding a puppy to the household. I believe both are at a point in life where they wouldn't have the patience to tolerate sharing their humans, the bed/couch/doggy bed space, or their schedule.

That being said, I don't see myself replacing them when they are gone anytime soon either. Getting a puppy is making at least a 10 year plus commitment of undivided time, energy and money.

Last edited:

jaksprat

I have two beagles , ones a mix, they are 12 years old in good shape. They sleep a lot but they can jump up on the bed and they both are very mobile and healthy. Had to have some growths removed recently. But they seem no worse for it. Good dogs, I love them a lot. I don't know how they will be when one goes.. I will not let them deteriorate or suffer. They have been too good. When it's time I will put them down. Question I have is should I get a young pup now? I think they have another two or three years left. Would love to hear people's thoughts.

If one of your dogs passes, is there someone usually at home during the day to provide care and company for the surviving dog?

I thought I'd mention this since it's another thing to think about. I have 2 small ones - one almost 16, and the other almost 12. I'm sure the younger one will miss the older one greatly when he's gone (assuming he'll go first), but I'm pretty sure I won't be getting another dog. One factor in the decision is that someone is usually home at any given time to care for our little girl.

gretchen

I will tell you from my own experience that I think getting a new puppy will comfort you,and help distract you from the thought of losing your dogs. However,it will also haunt you and you will feel remorse for doing this after your dogs are gone because this new dog will take time,attention,money,and so on from your other dogs. I've been there. I did this when mine was I'll,and I felt so selfish afterwards because of all the times I would take the puppy for a walk,but not my older dog who couldn't go anymore,or when the puppy would bump into my older dog trying to play which had to hurt with her arthritis. Please spare yourself this regret and simply spend the next few years loving your older dogs and then you can enter into a new pet relationship knowing every animal in your life got your undivided attention when they needed it most.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I will tell you from my own experience that I think getting a new puppy will comfort you,and help distract you from the thought of losing your dogs. However,it will also haunt you and you will feel remorse for doing this after your dogs are gone because this new dog will take time,attention,money,and so on from your other dogs. I've been there. I did this when mine was I'll,and I felt so selfish afterwards because of all the times I would take the puppy for a walk,but not my older dog who couldn't go anymore,or when the puppy would bump into my older dog trying to play which had to hurt with her arthritis. Please spare yourself this regret and simply spend the next few years loving your older dogs and then you can enter into a new pet relationship knowing every animal in your life got your undivided attention when they needed it most.
Great post.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I got a puppy when my old man Boxer was older. Knowing that my Boxer was hurting at the end (pain), I never brought the puppy around him. Selfish on my part, but they both got lots of love and attention. It really made losing my Boxer easier but not a day goes by that I don't miss him and wish I could see his slobbery face again. :frown:

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
I got a puppy when my old man Boxer was older. Knowing that my Boxer was hurting at the end (pain), I never brought the puppy around him. Selfish on my part, but they both got lots of love and attention. It really made losing my Boxer easier but not a day goes by that I don't miss him and wish I could see his slobbery face again. :frown:

I am dreading having to make that decision. My old man boxer is still convinced he is a puppy. I don't want a second dog right now because I really want to love on him while I have him. He plays with all the puppies that people have at the apartment complex in the dog park we have. He goes everywhere with me that allows dogs.

gretchen

Having dogs sucks sometimes. They just don't get enough time,especially the bigger guys. I just realized my babies will be long gone while my d*ckhead cats will still be around.

FlyFishin

Well, thanks for the thoughtful response. You helped me make my decision to hold off on any puppy.

KDENISE977

Well, thanks for the thoughtful response. You helped me make my decision to hold off on any puppy.

I didn't want to chime in in the middle but since you're holding off, I'd have to admit I think that's a wise decision. I had a boxer gal that was getting older and so I had just moved in with my now current husband and decided I wanted a puppy for my birthday. In retrospect I wish I'd have waited, I think the puppy drove her crazy. She wasn't used to all the excitement and would lash out at the puppy and that wasn't his fault, he was just rying to play with toys and she wasn't used to it...AT ALL. She died a year or two later, but I bet she'd have appreciated all the attention, like she was used to getting for 7 or 8 years. that is all. Good Luck !!

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I am dreading having to make that decision.
He was the first animal that I had to make a decision with and to date it has been the most difficult day of my life. I held him and kissed him as he took his final breath. I felt his heart stop.

It was not easy but it was a choice I made for him so that he would no longer suffer.

Roman

He was the first animal that I had to make a decision with and to date it has been the most difficult day of my life. I held him and kissed him as he took his final breath. I felt his heart stop.

It was not easy but it was a choice I made for him so that he would no longer suffer.
Oh my gosh Chasey, that's terrible. I am so sorry!

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Thank you. I had my boy cremated. His collar sits on top of his urn at our home. Call me crazy, but I still tell him I love him and miss him.

That's not crazy at all. My family always buried our pets (we sit on 5 acres) but now that my parents want to sell and move in the near future it kind of makes me sad I won't be able to physically say hi to them. I think they wish they went the cremation route, esp. with our family dog. Since Maggie's a pretty old gal, and she's my first pet who I have 100% care over, it's something I've thought of myself and I'll probably do just that. I'd always like for her to be with me in some way.

acommondisaster

We buried my Snoopy and planted a crepe myrtle next to her. Pretty pink flowers last summer; and I know that even if my son moves, the bush will flourish...so leaving her behind will not so hard.

I got our chi 3 days after Snoopy passed. Had to; I couldn't sleep without her and cried every time I thought about her. There was no doubt that I needed the company of a dog. No dog will ever be my Snoops, but this dog is so different and such a gentleman, I don't know what I did without him. You have to know you and your dogs, maybe one dog will be lonely when the other one goes and that will be the time to find a replacement. Snoops would have been sad and jealous of a new dog, and I did think about looking for one when Snoopy was failing. I'm glad I waited until she was gone, but I am also glad I didn't wait more than a few days to get another. Nothing's lonelier than a house without the happy patter of a dog's feet, coming to greet you.

Roman

:huggy:
We buried my Snoopy and planted a crepe myrtle next to her. Pretty pink flowers last summer; and I know that even if my son moves, the bush will flourish...so leaving her behind will not so hard.

I got our chi 3 days after Snoopy passed. Had to; I couldn't sleep without her and cried every time I thought about her. There was no doubt that I needed the company of a dog. No dog will ever be my Snoops, but this dog is so different and such a gentleman, I don't know what I did without him. You have to know you and your dogs, maybe one dog will be lonely when the other one goes and that will be the time to find a replacement. Snoops would have been sad and jealous of a new dog, and I did think about looking for one when Snoopy was failing. I'm glad I waited until she was gone, but I am also glad I didn't wait more than a few days to get another. Nothing's lonelier than a house without the happy patter of a dog's feet, coming to greet you.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
Thank you. I had my boy cremated. His collar sits on top of his urn at our home. Call me crazy, but I still tell him I love him and miss him.

I will probably do the same thing have him cremated. I can't think of burying him and if I move him staying there.