Born in....Maryland?

BernieP

Resident PIA
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/16/u...&kwp_4=78887&kwp_1=125946&_r=0&abt=0002&abg=0

According to the 2012 data, only 48% of Marylanders were born here. My fellow NYers make up less than 4% of the population. Some very interesting maps to play with!

I'd buy that, DC area attracts people from all over the country because it's the nations capital - and very few people who work there actually live in DC.
Probably no coincidence but isn't the largest single employer in the state the federal government?
Plus military...

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Fl with 36% homegrown doesn't surprise me at all as the least in the country homegrown. I do think that % has actually increased since I move here in '76, with our kids and two grandkids born here. Back in the 70's, it literally was please bring the flag with you when the last American leaves....

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Fl with 36% homegrown doesn't surprise me at all as the least in the country homegrown. I do think that % has actually increased since I move here in '76, with our kids and two grandkids born here. Back in the 70's, it literally was please bring the flag with you when the last American leaves....

I meet more people here that were born in Maryland than I did when I lived in Maryland.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Out of my parents' family -my sister was actually born here. Also, 2 of her 3 daughters were (neither of whom live here now). Out of my immediate family, Thing1 was born here.

That's quite a lot for a military family (actually, 3 military families) who moved around a lot.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Even though my family has been in MD since about 1658...I wasn't born here because my pregnant mother was staying with relatives while my father was deployed and when the time came, the nearest military hospital was Ft. Monmouth NJ. So I don't count as one of the 48%.

Most of my extended family has left the state over the past several decades and I will be following them shortly.

With the exception of 1 year right after college, I have lived in MD all my life. Was born in Va though. Back then, if you could get to a hospital outside of MD to have your baby, you did. I don't think ANY of my friends were born in MD. I think all were born in Fairfax.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Back then, if you could get to a hospital outside of MD to have your baby, you did. I don't think ANY of my friends were born in MD. I think all were born in Fairfax.

That's odd..all my siblings were born in MD (hospital in Olney MD, long since torn down and replaced with a "modern" one) and I recall mom saying that was the best part of the whole process...a mini-vacation in a place that served fantastic food.

Don't think you'd ever hear anyone say that about any hospital today.

Related: The 1865 house that we restored on St. George's Island was the home of a midwife who took care of the local population. I knew an older fella, since passed on, that claimed to be the last baby that midwife delivered in to the world. Would have been late 1920s I guess... Midwives were apparently quite prevalent back then.

Last edited:
I grew up in Upper Marlboro. Wife is from Waldorf. Back in the late '60s/early 70s, the only choice as I understand it was Southern Maryland Hospital in Clinton.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
My dad was born in Baltimore, died retired in NC. Dad was an Army officer, so of seven kids in our family (all born in Army hospitals in four states), myself and younger sister were born at Ft George Meade hospital in '54 and '55. None of us have lived in MD since about 1958.

bilbur

Even though my family has been in MD since about 1658...I wasn't born here because my pregnant mother was staying with relatives while my father was deployed and when the time came, the nearest military hospital was Ft. Monmouth NJ. So I don't count as one of the 48%.

Most of my extended family has left the state over the past several decades and I will be following them shortly.

Born and raised here and have family dating back to the early 1700's on my dad's side and back to the first settlers on my mom's side. Most of my family has remained in the area, however, the majority of people I work with are from other parts of the country. While I was growing up it was rare to go some ware and not see someone I or my parents knew and now it is rare to see someone I know. Not saying it is good or bad, I am just saying there has been a shift from a local majority to a majority of people from other areas of the country. I always assumed I would retire here but a lot can happen in 20 years so I will reserve that decision until I am a little closer.

Blister

I grew up in Upper Marlboro. Wife is from Waldorf. Back in the late '60s/early 70s, the only choice as I understand it was Southern Maryland Hospital in Clinton.

So. Md. Hospital did not open until 1977.

St. Mary's Hospital est. 1912
Calvert Memorial est. 1919
LaPlata est. 1926

belvak

Happy Camper
I'd buy that, DC area attracts people from all over the country because it's the nations capital - and very few people who work there actually live in DC.
Probably no coincidence but isn't the largest single employer in the state the federal government?
Plus military...

:yeahthat: Huge military presence.

Army

Aberdeen Proving Grounds
Fort Detrick
Fort Meade
Fort Ritchie

Coast Guard

Activities Baltimore
Coast Guard Yard

Navy & Marine Corps

Aberdeen Proving Ground
Patuxent River NAS
U.S. Naval Academy

Air Force

Andrews AFB

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/statefacts/blmd.htm

So. Md. Hospital did not open until 1977.

St. Mary's Hospital est. 1912
Calvert Memorial est. 1919
LaPlata est. 1926

Probably showing may age here, but I'm sure he meant the old Clinton Hospital off of Woodyard Road. Became a nursing home for while after the hospital shut down. Was right across Woodyard from where the Safeway, Lowes, Walmart are now. I was actually born at the old Sibley Hospital downtown, because it was the closest to where my folks lived. From what I'm told, I barely waited long enough for them to get Mom in the delivery room. I've been living in Maryland ever since. PG County growing up, and St. Mary's as an adult.