After you've moved somewhere,was it what you expected?

catlingirl

When I was transfered to Andrews I thought the area only had rap and r&b music stations. I was really surprised to hear country music and rock and roll in this area. Are there some things that aren't what you expected?

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
When I moved to Maryland it wasn't a big shock since I had visited quite a bit.

Now when I moved to SC that was a huge culture shock for me. Everything moves at the speed of molasses in February. My brain moves like I am still in the North. I am not staying in SC because Charleston is pretty much either a family oriented town or a party town. Which is not part of my life.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I'm a transplant and while I didn't expect so much "southern" in southern Maryland...I did expect a bit more of a beach community being surrounded by water. I'm very thankful to have a close friend who lives on the water otherwise I'd have to drive a little too far for a nice, clean beach. (i.e. more than 10-15 mins) I've lived in several beach towns where public beaches are always right around the corner. I never really took into consideration the geography of the area and while there's plenty of "beach", 98% of it is all private with no access. I miss my rows of pretty little beach cottages and quick sun-tanning access :lol:

Restless

We moved here in 1981 with the navy. It was awful. Nothing here but farms, the base, and a few stores, nasty movie theaters, and Kmart. I grew up in South Jersey. What a culture shock! We moved to Virgina Beach after that for three years and really liked it. Then, hubby got out of the navy and was able to get a job here. It was much improved by then, and gets better and better. We don't plan on staying here after retirement though. It is too expensive and too liberal.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
When I moved to Maryland it wasn't a big shock since I had visited quite a bit.

Now when I moved to SC that was a huge culture shock for me. Everything moves at the speed of molasses in February. My brain moves like I am still in the North. I am not staying in SC because Charleston is pretty much either a family oriented town or a party town. Which is not part of my life.

Really?

I just moved 1 county over and felt like people were so fricken slow in St. Mary's County... especially when getting checked out at a store.

I think people in the south are also friendlier vs. here and further north.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
Really?

I just moved 1 county over and felt like people were so fricken slow in St. Mary's County... especially when getting checked out at a store.

People are friendly almost to friendly. Me being a cynic on ulterior motives is like UM what do you want in my head.

Really?

Moved there from AZ, I thought the same thing. Slow movers. Not so much anymore though.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I've moved quite a bit over the years. SOMD is the 2nd longest stretch of the places I've lived. It is a good place to raise teens. I tried to make the best of each move and enjoy what that area had to offer. I can't say I've ever lived in any place I didn't like. Each place was unique and many places had something similar.

Probably my least favorite place was Indiana. I'm more of a coastal person.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I've liked pretty much everywhere I've ever lived and didn't really have any big expectations of what it would be like before I got there. I did think that getting out of NE would broaden my horizons and make me more sophisticated, but after 32 years of living in a number of other cities/states I've come to the conclusion that Lincoln, NE is all-around the best small city in the US, and I understand why my aunts/uncles/cousins who bugged out ended up going back. The only drawback is that the winters are BRUTAL.

mitzi

I moved here from the suburbs (if you can call it that) of DC to a small home with a corn field on the other side of the dirt driveway. I loved it. Perfect place to raise my kids and nothing has been stolen in over 32 years.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I've moved quite a bit over the years. SOMD is the 2nd longest stretch of the places I've lived. It is a good place to raise teens. I tried to make the best of each move and enjoy what that area had to offer. I can't say I've ever lived in any place I didn't like. Each place was unique and many places had something similar.

Probably my least favorite place was Indiana. I'm more of a coastal person.

I've liked pretty much everywhere I've ever lived and didn't really have any big expectations of what it would be like before I got there. I did think that getting out of NE would broaden my horizons and make me more sophisticated, but after 32 years of living in a number of other cities/states I've come to the conclusion that Lincoln, NE is all-around the best small city in the US, and I understand why my aunts/uncles/cousins who bugged out ended up going back. The only drawback is that the winters are BRUTAL.

:yay: :yay:

I was a Navy brat and then Navy spouse and I've moved a lot. I think there was something to like everywhere we lived. As an adult I have moved less frequently, but I did move my ks tot he SOMD area because I felt it would be a great place to raise them alone. I was right.

Vince

Always liked Maryland. Nice area. Got my house, my friends here, but the expense after I retire will chase me out.

SamSpade

When I was transfered to Andrews I thought the area only had rap and r&b music stations. I was really surprised to hear country music and rock and roll in this area. Are there some things that aren't what you expected?

I think Southern Maryland was the biggest surprise. I've lived all up and down the Northeast, but since the late 80's, just in various parts of Maryland.
Living near and around DC, I was used to ethnic diversity, traffic, convenience of any kind of store, medical specialty or what have you. I was also used to smaller lots, more congestion, more noise at night,
lots of light "noise" (every street and place lit up at night), sidewalks, swift roadclearing during storms, free garbage pickup and so on.

Music stations were largely hip-hop, r&b (which I like), rap and top 20. People were mostly liberal. I learned in many years to keep my right-leaning opinions to myself, because I usually got teamed up on
in the past. I'd already learned that from living in places like Boston and working at places like Harvard, and having relatives who were of the "Bush blew up the WTC" variety of liberal.

Having never set foot down here before I committed to moving, I assumed the place was largely unwooded and flat.

Not that all the surprises were unpleasant - or pleasant.

I was amazed at how many stars I could see at night - or how many woodland sounds were normal. I was apprehensive about streets so dark, I had difficulty CROSSING THE STREET to my neighbor's house if
I forgot to leave my house light on. I was amazed that crime was so low, I could leave my house unlocked - previously, I lived in a development where they would rob you while you were still home,
and they would steal ANYTHING you left out. I was surprised at how "country" it was - sales clerks chatted and neighbors would wave - even ones you didn't know.

People smoked more down here than any previous place I'd lived. Prior to living here, smoke breaks were done by a VERY small number of people at work.
There were more churches and more functions connected to churches and volunteer fire houses. There were fairs and events connected to farms and the rural nature of the area.

I was surprised by the number of Amish. Don't get me wrong, I grew up in Lancaster PA as a child. Seen my fair share of Amish and buggies. I just didn't know there were all that many outside
Pennsylvania.

Yeah, a bit of a surprise. If it weren't for taxes and high cost of living, I'd stay, but when I retire, I'm bugging out.