Sharks

This is only one that has been caught. There have also been Makos and Tigers.

Attachments

• shark.jpg
    shark.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 353

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Sharknado just might send some up to 5-6,000 feet, though. Be careful on your next ride.

dan0623_2000

Made many dives out of Panama City Beach, Fl. Rarely did we see a shark. Unless you are playing in the surf line your chances of being bitten by a shark are pretty slim.
Don't mean to offend you RoseRed or B23 but Sharkado is a program that is full of bull crap about sharks. It's just sensationalism. They do a fine job of entetainment but that definately are not factual.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
SHARK :yikes:

I will totally admit, I am terrified of sharks... they are all "Jaws" to me. Anytime my father wanted us kids out of the water, all he had to do was yell "SHARK." We came out like Jesus.

When I was a teenager, I hooked a shark when I was pier fishing in Florida. A more experienced fisherman on the pier took over my rod and eventually had to cut my line once it got closer. At that point, everyone was hooked who was fishing off the pier. They bought it in from the pier. It was about 5 foot 100 lbs.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Made many dives out of Panama City Beach, Fl. Rarely did we see a shark. Unless you are playing in the surf line your chances of being bitten by a shark are pretty slim.
Don't mean to offend you RoseRed or B23 but Sharkado is a program that is full of bull crap about sharks. It's just sensationalism. They do a fine job of entetainment but that definately are not factual.
I know that. It is a totally campy movie, meant for entertainment. I grew up in CA where real shark attacks happened.

KDENISE977

SHARK :yikes:

I will totally admit, I am terrified of sharks... they are all "Jaws" to me. Anytime my father wanted us kids out of the water, all he had to do was yell "SHARK." We came out like Jesus.

When I was a teenager, I hooked a shark when I was pier fishing in Florida. A more experienced fisherman on the pier took over my rod and eventually had to cut my line once it got closer. At that point, everyone was hooked who was fishing off the pier. They bought it in from the pier. It was about 5 foot 100 lbs.

I'm with you, I am aware that the reality of getting bitten or eaten by a shark are slim, but they terrify me. Won't go in the ocean, nope, not in any water that isn't in a pool.

Most of the sharks I saw were nurse sharks. Saw one black tipped reef shark, thought that was pretty cool. He was swimming away from me though. Had it been the other way around I probably would have gotten nervous.

MMDad

Lem Putt
From 2005 to 2014 there were 701 shark attacks in the world. 59 of those were fatal.

Almost 1/3 of the shark attacks in the world happened in Florida. Out of 219, two were fatal.

Mosquitos cause about 2.7 million deaths per year.

Yes, you should stay away from Florida - not because of sharks, because of the mosquitos.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I have some aerial photos of Clearwater Beach, Fl - my neck of the woods - that will NEVER be published 'cause it would freak people out. I'll try and locate them.

The photos, taken by a pilot friend of mine, show hammerhead and other sharks well over 7 or 8 feet in length, along with smaller ones, just cruising among swimmers/waders about 50-100 feet off shore in about 5 feet of water. People in the water cannot see them, but from the air they are plainly visible.

That would be a tourist photo op, for sure.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
From 2005 to 2014 there were 701 shark attacks in the world. 59 of those were fatal.

Almost 1/3 of the shark attacks in the world happened in Florida. Out of 219, two were fatal.

Mosquitos cause about 2.7 million deaths per year.

Yes, you should stay away from Florida - not because of sharks, because of the mosquitos.

I'm sorry... you cannot try and use logic to convince me not to be afraid.

I go in the water all the time but I am always on the lookout. A few years ago, a dolphin swam by me in OBX and I thought I was going to seriously have a heart attack.

Went swimming after dark several times near San Diego CA. Couldn't make myself after seeing jaws. Actually just playing in the waves rather than out past them.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Went swimming after dark several times near San Diego CA. Couldn't make myself after seeing jaws. Actually just playing in the waves rather than out past them.

I was in BUD/s in the mid 90’s and that was something you had to put out of your mind.

Hannibal

I frequently fish Hatteras Island (OBX) sevral times a year. I routinely target sharks and have had pretty decent success. I can tell you that sharks are ALWAYS there. You are foolish if you don't think they are nearby when you are swimming in the surf. This is true of Bethany Beach, Ocean City, VA Beach, Outer Banks, Myrtle Beach, etc. As someone noted earlier, take a scenic plane ride next time you hit the beach and you will be amazed (and a bit freaked out) about how many sharks are around and how close they are.

Oddly enough, I am much more "afraid" when wading out in the water to fish than I am when pleasure swimming. It can be the same beach and only hours apart. I have no fear/issues when my kids get in the water either. It's just an odd thing.

Do keep in mind, most attacks happen in waist deep waters and many happen in water even shallower. People are bitten by accident and usually when water/weather conditions leave the water murky. Also, sharks hunt at dusk and dawn (which would also lead to poor visability). I will not go swimming just as the sun is setting. It's a shame because the beach is usually quiet, the surf usually dies down and the water seems to always been warm. But you are asking for trouble IMO.

I often go to OBX in early October each year to fish. Weather is nice. Area is void of the normal traffic. And the fishing is in prime season. This often seems to overlap with a lot of foreign vacationers. And nearly every trip, you will see some lot of 20-somethings heading out in the water around 7pm. Might as well ring the dinner bell.

I was in Avon only a handful of days following the attack on a Russian couple (from Arlington, VA) which led to the boyfriend or husband dying. Shark bit his leg off and took a peice of her ass (literally). They were swimming at dusk and a good bit off the beach. My money is on a bull. Haven't caught a big one of those yet but have had something on the end of 150# fishing line that ran like a freight train and snapped the line when I set the hook ........ just a few miles south.

They are around.