Place your bets: SMCPS on Thursday & Friday???

TPD

the poor dad
It looks like Thursday is a no brainer for being closed, maybe a delay on Friday.

Let's walk through this -

Based on current forecast - snow doesn't end till tomorrow evening.
Road crews will not finish clearing till midnight or later.
By this time, temps going into teens, roads will not have dried which means refreeze.
Since school parking lot snow clearing contractors are same as state highway contractors, they will not get started on school parking lots till after midnight.
After midnight, everything is frozen solid so they can't get up all the ice in parking lots that was created during the day by everyone driving through and cutting donuts.
So this means school will be closed on Friday as well.

What needs to happen in the future in order for schools to be open more during inclement weather is the school board needs to find snow removal contractors besides those already contracting with the state and county highway departments. Roads come first for these contractors, then schools. And if you read last weeks Enterprise, you know that there are only 3 contracting crews for ALL of the county schools. If contractors who are NOT plowing roads are hired, and more than 3 crews hired, then schools can be cleared at the same time as roads in a more timely fashion, which means we can gain a few extra days of school. It's not difficult people! There are plenty of guys with snow plows and shovels who are more than willing to contract with the county school system to clear lots, but I'm sure the school system contract is worded in such a way that a certain piece/size of equipment is required that favors the good 'ole boy network, so the same contractors who get state/county highway tax dollars also get school system tax dollars. Spread the wealth. Put it out on bid. Not sure if it is bid now or if there is a certain rate the school pays and then just chooses the same contractors each year. Based on my experience plowing with the state and county roads, there is an hourly rate based on the size/type of your equipment. School board could be different. Just my 2 cents.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I concede. School closed both days, PAX closed tomorrow with delayed arrival Friday. Fair? :)

Pax will not close tomorrow morning. Roads will be fine.
They my authorize early release in the afternoon.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Looking at this pic, you guys are in the bull's eye.

It was 86* here today, too early to be that warm.

Attachments

• 650x366_03041731_hd20.jpg
    650x366_03041731_hd20.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
Make it a parlay, when do they ask the state to waive the 180 day requirement? [note: it was mentioned in Friday's Enterprise that they had now consumed all the "snow days" for the 2014-15 school year]

fromchaptico

Make it a parlay, when do they ask the state to waive the 180 day requirement? [note: it was mentioned in Friday's Enterprise that they had now consumed all the "snow days" for the 2014-15 school year]

Not sure on this, but I was under the impression that they could only ask for a waiver for days that they closed during a state of emergency. I don't think any of the storms this year resulted in the declaration of a state of emergency.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Not sure on this, but I was under the impression that they could only ask for a waiver for days that they closed during a state of emergency. I don't think any of the storms this year resulted in the declaration of a state of emergency.

That is correct, only days missed during a declared State of Emergency are eligible for being waived. That's not automatic.

MD State Department of Education first has to state that certain days are eligible for a waiver, the school system then has to apply to MSDE for that waiver with a written justification. The request is then evaluated and approved or denied. Or some days are approved and others not.

Vince

Pax will not close tomorrow morning. Roads will be fine.
They my authorize early release in the afternoon.
Nope, went into work this morning and found out the base was closed already. :shrug: Turned around and came home. Just rain so far.

merc669

Base not closed but is restricted. Gate 2 is closed but Gate 1 is open and yes just rain for now. But not here for long thats for sure....

BernieP

Resident PIA
Base not closed but is restricted. Gate 2 is closed but Gate 1 is open and yes just rain for now. But not here for long thats for sure....

I don't think it's ever been CLOSED, but buildings will be secured and sometimes they are serious about the restricted access - critical personnel only - part