Fridge Repair

edinsomd

Freezer decided to quit today. Who's good and who to avoid for appliance repair near Callaway?
TIA,
Ed

1stGenSMIB

Ed, unfortunately, I am finding that these types of appliances are becoming throw-away items. The last time mine quit, it was 75% of the cost of a new fridge just for the compressor..not including labor for someone to install it, vacuum down, add refrigerant, etc.

Now, the issue with the new one is unless you lay it over on its side, you cannot clean all of the condenser fins either, as they are on the underside! :mad:

Last edited:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Freezer decided to quit today. Who's good and who to avoid for appliance repair near Callaway?
TIA,
Ed

I can't remember the name of the place on the corner of Rt 5 & Chingville.
I don't know if they have a good rep or not.
Sorry.

TPD

the poor dad

Closed..quite some time ago.

Mr. Sanders passed away. Last I heard, his son was doing some appliance repair, but on a limited basis. I think you have to know someone who knows someone...

Glenn Sanders was one of the last reputable appliance repair guys in this county. It is difficult to find anyone now to do this work. I despise the 'throw-away' world we live in. I told my daughter last month that the people who will make money in the next 5-20 years are those that can fix stuff - people who are not afraid to get their hands dirty - auto mechanics, plumbers, APPLIANCE REPAIR TECHS, people who can shovel city sidewalks, etc. There is only so much a computer or machine can do!!! Why aren't we pushing trade schools more instead of college? A good friend of mine did a one year trade school, and 2 years after graduating is making as much or more than college students with a 4 year degree. He is in the driver's seat at the moment with his career - he gets his hands dirty everyday.

Hopefully I've given my daughter food for thought and raised her to NOT be afraid to get her hands dirty. College is not the answer to every job.

steppinthrax

TIA,
Ed

Usually the cost to repair these type of appliances outweigh the expense for a new one. You're talking a chest fridge.

You can probably find these on craigslist under 100 all day long.

How old is the fridge, what year. That will also describe if it's worth it.

The older one's are charged with R-12. If the issue is within the refrigeration circuit he/she will have to braze in service valves, evacuate the system, change the oil and orface and charge with r-134a. It may never cool as it did before.

If the compressor is bad, forget about it..... When a compressor blows it blows all it's #### into the circuit...

Last edited:

kickstand

De omnibus dubitandum est
Mr. Sanders passed away. Last I heard, his son was doing some appliance repair, but on a limited basis. I think you have to know someone who knows someone...

Glenn Sanders was one of the last reputable appliance repair guys in this county. It is difficult to find anyone now to do this work. I despise the 'throw-away' world we live in. I told my daughter last month that the people who will make money in the next 5-20 years are those that can fix stuff - people who are not afraid to get their hands dirty - auto mechanics, plumbers, APPLIANCE REPAIR TECHS, people who can shovel city sidewalks, etc. There is only so much a computer or machine can do!!! Why aren't we pushing trade schools more instead of college? A good friend of mine did a one year trade school, and 2 years after graduating is making as much or more than college students with a 4 year degree. He is in the driver's seat at the moment with his career - he gets his hands dirty everyday.

Hopefully I've given my daughter food for thought and raised her to NOT be afraid to get her hands dirty. College is not the answer to every job.
I went to the Tech Center expo this year where the high schools give incoming freshman/sophomores, etc.. the opportunity to sign up for classes. Our daughter is in a welding class there. She's working on getting her certification before she graduates. As we walked back to the trade classrooms I noticed that a large proportion of the kids there were either in some computer-centric or law enforcement/firefighting line. You could barely get by. Get back to the trade area and it's relatively empty. It's a shame really. When I was in high school the only things available were auto shop and wood shop.

edinsomd

Its a fairly new LG French Door type. I did some web surfing and it's most likely the motherboard needs replacing. I called Sears and they're sending a tech Monday. Went to Bob's Sunoco yesterday as the snow was just getting started- you should have seen the look on his face when I asked for two large bags of ice. ;-)

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Get back to the trade area and it's relatively empty. It's a shame really. When I was in high school the only things available were auto shop and wood shop.

My youngest son is graduating this year..and has been in the Forrest auto tech program for three years. So I asked him recently..."hows their job placement going. They have some companies that come and recruit?" He looked at me like I had two heads. "Dad..nobody actually goes and works from auto tech...I never heard of anyone getting a job in that from here". Lovely.