Ice skating rink.

TPD

the poor dad
It's about 1am and I'm on a snow plow. Its 20 degrees and roads are clear of snow but it is like one big ice skating rink out here. I do not see blacktop yet (south of LP city). Roads are driveable/passable for 72% of drivers but respect the ice! All county roads south of hermanville on the 235 side are plowed. All county roads south of beachville road on rt 5 side are plowed. These are my routes. Can't speak for rest of county. Salting operations for county roads are supposed to start about 4am but don't hold me to that.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
It's about 1am and I'm on a snow plow. Its 20 degrees and roads are clear of snow but it is like one big ice skating rink out here. I do not see blacktop yet (south of LP city). Roads are driveable/passable for 72% of drivers but respect the ice! All county roads south of hermanville on the 235 side are plowed. All county roads south of beachville road on rt 5 side are plowed. These are my routes. Can't speak for rest of county. Salting operations for county roads are supposed to start about 4am but don't hold me to that.

Thank you for taking care of the roads down our way. Much appreciated!

JeJeTe

Happiness
The roads down by Webster look better than 235/5 up further north so thank you so much for your hard work!

Tami2red

A HUGE THANK YOU! I watched you going by over and over last night! (We live right on PT Lookout Rd - our front windows overlook the road) You did a GREAT job! :yay::huggy::cheers:

1stGenSMIB

Nice work TPD...I live on a county road, and the DPW has been real great this year about plowing/salting/clearing. Please pass my thanks on to your colleagues as well.

I also saw the moon (you mentioned in the other thread, I guess you were just getting off shift)....was a nice end to the evening after shoveling. The moon highlighted two large deer which were in the back yard about midnight, traveling thru. This morning, their tracks were all over the neighbor's yard across the street as well..I live close to the Presbyterian church on Rt4 near the bridge which is, as we all know, a heavily traveled deer path, since there are always a pile of them on the side of the road. :( These two have at least managed to grow to full size.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Just got back from errands and the plow guys are valiantly hanging in there, but there's not a lot they can do to make the roads safe. The snow/ice left-behinds become slush, which promptly freezes and turns to ice. This makes for slippery situations that you don't really see until...you slide. This was on 235, so be extra careful, keep your distance, and don't take turns too fast.

PS, if the car in front of you has snow on their roof, STAY AWAY FROM THEM. If you tailgate you have only yourself to blame when that stuff breaks free and smashes into your windshield.

< /end-mom>

1stGenSMIB

Just got back from errands and the plow guys are valiantly hanging in there, but there's not a lot they can do to make the roads safe. The snow/ice left-behinds become slush, which promptly freezes and turns to ice. This makes for slippery situations that you don't really see until...you slide. This was on 235, so be extra careful, keep your distance, and don't take turns too fast.

PS, if the car in front of you has snow on their roof, STAY AWAY FROM THEM. If you tailgate you have only yourself to blame when that stuff breaks free and smashes into your windshield.

< /end-mom>

P.P.S.> A Jeep Compass is NOT a morning-after-the-'blizzard'-I-can-go-as-fast-as-I-want-on-Rt235-because-35MPH-is-too-slow-for-me-even-though-EVERYONE-else-has-deemed-it-a-safe-speed-and-is-being-patient-and-not-weaving-thru-traffic-throwing-slush&snow-on-each-other type of off road vehicle.

Ok..thanks for letting me hang on your coat tails and rant for a minute. :cheers:

Last edited:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
The roads down by Webster look better than 235/5 up further north so thank you so much for your hard work!

I was just thinking that driving in this morning! :yahoo: I could barely make it out of Wildewood and most of Rt. 4 but south of Great Mills was beautiful! Can you guys come show the wildewood contractors how to plow? I think they slept thru their state exams :rolleyes:

JeJeTe

Happiness
I was just thinking that driving in this morning! :yahoo: I could barely make it out of Wildewood and most of Rt. 4 but south of Great Mills was beautiful! Can you guys come show the wildewood contractors how to plow? I think they slept thru their state exams :rolleyes:

Seriously. Villa Road was the best road that was plowed. Although I don't think they got as much down here as they did in Hollywood. And the roads on Webster look fantastic. I was surprised.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
No fault of the road crews, but the roads were terrible this morning. I couldn't believe how fast some people were driving.

luvmygdaughters

Drove from Leonardtown to La Plata, waited to leave at 10:00, the worst part of the trip was Rt. 5 in Leonardtown, the strip that runs by the hospital and Sunoco station. After you get thru that, you can cruise till you get past Morganza, roads still ice and snow covered, once you get to the Wawa, Rt. 5 is clear and so is Rt. 6, which really surprised me. Take your time, don't tailgate and you're fine.

TPD

the poor dad
I only saw 1 car in the ditch (cedar cove) during my 12+ hours on the snowplow last night/this morning, vs numerous cars during last weeks storm. People must finally be getting better at driving in the snow....

But after saying that, I must add something that happened last night that I have not seen in my 20+ years of plowing - a car (with woman driver, not that it makes a difference) hit a snow plow that was part of my crew (but not equipment I owned). The guys had stopped to discuss the next plan of attack, when a car came speeding by, slid broadside into the plow, went into the ditch and continued on its way without stopping. When someone finally found them, it was 2 girls in the vehicle, hiding behind a building with 2 flat tires and body damage, and they wanted to blame the snowplow driver! Why did you run and hide behind a building if it was the snowplow's fault? And all this after midnight. Why were you even out and about? I really shouldn't be surprised...

TPD

the poor dad
TPD Thanks.

Curious.
How do the contracts work?
Do you only get paid when you have to go out?
Do you still get paid if we have no smow during the winter?

The snow removal contracts for the county (and I think that state is similar) give contractors a retainer fee for each piece of equipment provided. This fee is paid upon inspection of the equipment at the beginning of the season, provided equipment meets standards set forth in the contract. We are on call 24hrs a day and must be ready to go plow within 1 hour of being called out. Most, if not all contractors, use their equipment for other things - dump trucks, farm tractors, pickups, etc which means we could put on and take off plows numerous times throughout the winter, since it is not feasible to always have these plows hanging off the front of your truck/tractor. It can take 15 minutes to 1 hour to put on plows. And you may not get called out, but still must be ready. It is hard to plan winter vacations in advance, not knowing when it will snow but know you have a contract to fulfill. For me personally, I am not comfortable putting just anyone in my tractors to plow snow.

At the end of the season, if you performed your duties properly i.e. arrived within the hour of call, minimal equipment malfunctions, etc we receive another small fee. The total stipend is less than $1000 per year per piece of equipment, whether you get called to plow or now.

And lastly, contractors are required to have a certain amount of liability insurance to cover their operation. This will be a rider on most policies, which is an additional premium. The contract does give us a fixed stipend for this additional insurance. Some years it will cover my additional insurance, other years it doesn't. Not all insurance companies want to cover a $50-100,000 piece of equipment that is out in the worst of weather conditions. Too much exposure they say. Go figure.

When we have been called out, each piece of equipment is paid an hourly rate. The contractor then must pay his employees(mine get $15-25/hr), fuel($10+ per hour depending on how deep the snow is), repair costs(see below) out of this hourly rate. Hourly rates start at $100 and go up.

Some years we do ok, other years not so much. When a farm tractor or dump truck breaks in 20 degree weather with a 2000lb snowplow, it is usually not cheap. About 8 years ago, it cost me $6,000 to replace the front wheel hub of one of my 4wheel drive tractors. Last night, we saw a hydraulic leak on one of the plows. Will inspect tomorrow but guess a cylinder gone bad at a cost of $400 plus. Manhole covers are the worst when you hit those things at 10-15mph. Hit one last night that shook the hell out of me and caused the toolbox mounted on the side of the tractor to pop open and wrenches go flying across the road. Last week's manhole cover caused the plow frame to split requiring a parking lot welding job.

Overall I've been satisfied with the contracting. There are some nights I don't want to get out of bed at 2am when called, but I do it for my forum peeps!!

Hope that answers your questions.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
The snow removal contracts for the county (and I think that state is similar) give contractors a retainer fee for each piece of equipment provided. This fee is paid upon inspection of the equipment at the beginning of the season, provided equipment meets standards set forth in the contract. We are on call 24hrs a day and must be ready to go plow within 1 hour of being called out. Most, if not all contractors, use their equipment for other things - dump trucks, farm tractors, pickups, etc which means we could put on and take off plows numerous times throughout the winter, since it is not feasible to always have these plows hanging off the front of your truck/tractor. It can take 15 minutes to 1 hour to put on plows. And you may not get called out, but still must be ready. It is hard to plan winter vacations in advance, not knowing when it will snow but know you have a contract to fulfill. For me personally, I am not comfortable putting just anyone in my tractors to plow snow.

At the end of the season, if you performed your duties properly i.e. arrived within the hour of call, minimal equipment malfunctions, etc we receive another small fee. The total stipend is less than $1000 per year per piece of equipment, whether you get called to plow or now.

And lastly, contractors are required to have a certain amount of liability insurance to cover their operation. This will be a rider on most policies, which is an additional premium. The contract does give us a fixed stipend for this additional insurance. Some years it will cover my additional insurance, other years it doesn't. Not all insurance companies want to cover a $50-100,000 piece of equipment that is out in the worst of weather conditions. Too much exposure they say. Go figure.

When we have been called out, each piece of equipment is paid an hourly rate. The contractor then must pay his employees(mine get $15-25/hr), fuel($10+ per hour depending on how deep the snow is), repair costs(see below) out of this hourly rate. Hourly rates start at $100 and go up.

Some years we do ok, other years not so much. When a farm tractor or dump truck breaks in 20 degree weather with a 2000lb snowplow, it is usually not cheap. About 8 years ago, it cost me $6,000 to replace the front wheel hub of one of my 4wheel drive tractors. Last night, we saw a hydraulic leak on one of the plows. Will inspect tomorrow but guess a cylinder gone bad at a cost of $400 plus. Manhole covers are the worst when you hit those things at 10-15mph. Hit one last night that shook the hell out of me and caused the toolbox mounted on the side of the tractor to pop open and wrenches go flying across the road. Last week's manhole cover caused the plow frame to split requiring a parking lot welding job.

Overall I've been satisfied with the contracting. There are some nights I don't want to get out of bed at 2am when called, but I do it for my forum peeps!!

Hope that answers your questions.
Awesome work!

MMDad

Lem Putt
Seriously. Villa Road was the best road that was plowed. Although I don't think they got as much down here as they did in Hollywood. And the roads on Webster look fantastic. I was surprised.

:yeahthat: The state roads in Saint Mary's were terrible, but the county roads were in great shape.

:yeahthat: The state roads in Saint Mary's were terrible, but the county roads were in great shape.
The state guys were put on "salt restriction"... not much good can come of having to plow while temps were dropping and salt wasn't being spread. :ohwell: