Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Free range chickens?

Quote Originally Posted by sm8 View Post
    The ones on the side of the road make me nervous, I am still traumatized from when I was dating my husband. We were out in a boat and I kept freaking out thinking he was going to hit a seagull. He told me it was impossible to hit one even if you tried, he then said watch as we were approaching the next one and "THUMP" and he flew right past my head. Luckily he was ok but I felt horrible about it. We live well off the road and have about 3 acres of land that we own but back up to marshland so we do not have many houses in sight. We do have one neighbor that likes to turn us in for anything we do. We do have chickens but I have them in a coop/run. It has 8 foot walls and a roof so I can walk around inside and they do not get eaten by a hawk (I still wonder if hubby was just teasing about the hawk thing). We have a 4 foot fence around our yard for the kids but I am so tempted to let all of the chickens wander around in it. We did not have them for a week before she called animal control on us, he was leaving as I was getting home and he was in a hurry so he could not answer any of my questions about laws regulating them. He just said we were not breaking any laws with anything we were doing with any of our animals and he needed to go talk to the complainer and explain that to her so he could get on with the rest of his work for the day.
    Anytime I let my chickens out to forage I need to be nearby to keep an eye on them because not all of them are bright enough to seek cover if a hawk is in the area. I literally have to chase the dimwits to get them to run back to the pen lol. I do have an idea about creating an area that is filled with grass and bugs and covered by netting to keep them safer. One of these days I'll get to that .....
    Making a Difference for Critters Big and Small
    We are now a 501 (c)(3) non-profit!
    Please help us by donating - we need supplies for the critters awaiting adoption.
    Select us as your Charitable beneficiary on Amazon Smile (smile.amazon.com) CLICK HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    My neighbors have free range chickens. They poop all over our porch, which was fine until we put the house on the market. We've had showings where people wouldn't even go inside because a rooster was standing on the porch.
    Oh my well your neighbor needs to be informed of what is happening and asked to keep the chickens off your property, at least until the house sells ....
    Please help us by donating - we need supplies for the critters awaiting adoption.
    Select us as your Charitable beneficiary on Amazon Smile (smile.amazon.com) CLICK HERE

Man, I'm still here !!!
    and you get eggs lots of eggs, count on pretty much 1 per/day from each.....

..if momma ain't happy... my-thyme's Avatar
    I'm in the market for some laying hens. Does anyone have some for sale? Mostly interested in silkies or banties.

Quote Originally Posted by my-thyme View Post
    I'm in the market for some laying hens. Does anyone have some for sale? Mostly interested in silkies or banties.
    Check the So. MD Chicken Chat group on FB, if you are not on FB I can check for you. There may be some folks there selling them. Be warned of people who say the age of a hen is younger than it really is, which is why most folks like to raise them from chicks unless they trust the person selling them. I can vouch for a few of the sellers out there, just let me know who you find that has them. Silkies are a popular breed, so you may find some pullets available this time of year that are about to begin laying or may already be laying. I have 2 bantams, 1 blue and 1 black, but mine are probably 4 years old now, but they still lay almost daily. If I locate someone selling them I'll pop back on here and let you know.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.