My blind boxer girl

KDENISE977

Had something bad happen to us last Sunday. My boxer girl went off the grid at our house, meaning she left the yard, which hasn't happened in the 4 years she's been alive. We have the Dog Watch fence installed and she's never ever left or even tested it. Well, I went crazy and so did my husband and we were frantic, searching everywhere. Driving all through our development and walking all through the woods behind our house (we have no neighbors behind us, just acres and acres of woods) Well, long story short, my husband found her about 50 yards downs a ravine that surrounds our house and she was just standing there, motionless. He scooped her up and brought her in and we knew something was immediately wrong. She was blind, couldn't see anything. She's only 4. We took her to PFAH on Monday and they say she's totally blind in her right eye has about 10% vision in her left. They ran every blood test offered and can't find a thing wrong. Yet, my dog is still blind. She's got an appointment with an ophthalmologist on Monday but I'm fearing the worst. The vets at PFAH are just baffled, never seen anything like it. It's just so sad. We have her confined to our master bedroom with the master bath having water bowl for her. I feel horrible when I go up to check on her and she's just staring off into space or at an inanimate object like a dresser or a wall. Anyone have ANY advice?

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Sudden Acquired Retinal Degeneration (SARD), maybe but really hon, there could be other reasons. Hopefully they find out soon, as scary as it is for you, I'd imagine she's pretty scared too. No doubt it is going to feel like such a long weekend at your house.

KDENISE977

Sudden Acquired Retinal Degeneration (SARD), maybe but really hon, there could be other reasons. Hopefully they find out soon, as scary as it is for you, I'd imagine she's pretty scared too. No doubt it is going to feel like such a long weekend at your house.

Yes, I did ask about SARD and the vets "think" that the bloodwork would have show some sort of lykeosene (spelling sorry) or how it's spelled that would point to that, but I also think SARD is the strongest possibility.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Yes, I did ask about SARD and the vets "think" that the bloodwork would have show some sort of lykeosene (spelling sorry) or how it's spelled that would point to that, but I also think SARD is the strongest possibility.

Aw Denise I'm so sorry your family is going through this right now! I can't even imagine what I'd do in your place :bawl: thoughts and prayers for you guys.

At the very least, you still have the two boxers right? It's some what comforting to know the other will be there for her when they realize what's going on :ohwell:

mamatutu

mama to two
Sorry KD. I can tell by your post how frantic you were/are. Our pets are like our children. I hope your furry friend will improve. All my pets are gone now. I miss worrying about/taking care of them. If that makes sense. Hang in.

KDENISE977

Aw Denise I'm so sorry your family is going through this right now! I can't even imagine what I'd do in your place :bawl: thoughts and prayers for you guys.

At the very least, you still have the two boxers right? It's some what comforting to know the other will be there for her when they realize what's going on :ohwell:

Yes, we're keeping them together and it seems my other one (Remi) doesn't really know how to act when Molly isn't out running with him through the yard. We're keeping our hopes up for a positive resolution but she's not had any sort of improvement this week at all. Thanks though !!! We'll know more Monday, it's just so strange.

Dakota

~~~~~~~

See what the vet says on Monday but you just might have to cope with a disability and I'm sure there are many experienced folks that can give you advice on that, if not here, on other forums.... but I will say that animals are pretty good about using their other senses to compensate. We have a cat that is nearly blind.

KDENISE977

Oh I'm fully ready to cope with her being permanently blind, I've no doubt she'll accommodate. Is just sad to imagine not being able to allow her to just run around the property with Remi like they've done for years. Summers they would be outside all day !!! Unless it was too hot

Attachments

• image-528660038.jpg
    image-528660038.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,010

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
:frown: I sure hope you can find out more on Monday. This is so strange, and how bewildered she must be by it. Poor girl. :huggy:

On a side note, I have always taken my Siamese cat to PFAH, and they've always been great to him.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Possible seizure?

I thought the same thing since she left the yard and she mentioned it is something she doesn't do... perhaps became disoriented? If it was... she might actually regain some or all of her vision in time if there are no seizures to follow.

KD - you have beautiful dogs and I do hope this is just temporary for her.... I really do. I always think and prepare for the worse but hopefully in your case it turns out better than that.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
:frown: I sure hope you can find out more on Monday. This is so strange, and how bewildered she must be by it. Poor girl. :huggy:

On a side note, I have always taken my Siamese cat to PFAH, and they've always been great to him.

I swear, there are several members here, including myself, who should have a wing named in our honor at PFAH. I think they are one of the very best out there. My old cat, Molly, is only 10 1/2 years old but old in the fact she had such poor kitten heath. I wish I could have made it over to PFAH but she cannot handle the car ride, or rather, I cannot. I did find a vet in Charlotte Hall that has been great with her. Sadly, her last few years have been confined to a bedroom but she's so sweet and happy to be with us.... even though she doesn't see well or get around too well.

Roman

Oh I'm fully ready to cope with her being permanently blind, I've no doubt she'll accommodate. Is just sad to imagine not being able to allow her to just run around the property with Remi like they've done for years. Summers they would be outside all day !!! Unless it was too hot
KD, sorry to hear about your Boxer girl. I'm hoping that this is temporary. Having disabled pets myself, I know what you're going through. I have a blind and deaf cat. This is due to age, but he is such a happy guy. I have a deaf Boston Terrier. She was born that way. Both of these little things have a good quality of life. You can still let her run with Remi. You can also attach them together with maybe a 3, to 4 foot rope. They will get used to that. If her blindness is permanent, you can contact Joyce Darnell who lives in Calvert County. Her specialty is Dogs with Disabilities. She can really help you out.

sputnik

Reading your story kept my heart in my throat. Glad she's now safe. Last yr my 6 yr old dachshund went totally blind almost instantly; long story short, the canine opthamologist (imagine! here in calvert) diagnosed her with PRA (progressive retinal atrophy). She was cautious at first at home and on walks (with 2 other dachsuhnds) and I fretted daily on safety issues in the house and yard. I was the "seeing eye person" for her. I even made a large letter sign over her vest stating "blind" just in case she somehow gets separated. She adapted well. On the web I found a lot of good coaching on canine blindness and coping. They all instruct not to move around the furniture so they can orient better. For some reason over the winter my dog "Tater" has REGAINED much of her sight and even chases thrown toys to fetch. I read PRA is a one way street since the cells in the back of the retina die and cannot regenerate but.....in this case and, hopefully in your case, things will get better with time. Good luck! Your kindnesses are seen: well done good and faithful servant.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Reading your story kept my heart in my throat. Glad she's now safe. Last yr my 6 yr old dachshund went totally blind almost instantly; long story short, the canine opthamologist (imagine! here in calvert) diagnosed her with PRA (progressive retinal atrophy). She was cautious at first at home and on walks (with 2 other dachsuhnds) and I fretted daily on safety issues in the house and yard. I was the "seeing eye person" for her. I even made a large letter sign over her vest stating "blind" just in case she somehow gets separated. She adapted well. On the web I found a lot of good coaching on canine blindness and coping. They all instruct not to move around the furniture so they can orient better. For some reason over the winter my dog "Tater" has REGAINED much of her sight and even chases thrown toys to fetch. I read PRA is a one way street since the cells in the back of the retina die and cannot regenerate but.....in this case and, hopefully in your case, things will get better with time. Good luck! Your kindnesses are seen: well done good and faithful servant.
Very nice post.

KDENISE977

KD, sorry to hear about your Boxer girl. I'm hoping that this is temporary. Having disabled pets myself, I know what you're going through. I have a blind and deaf cat. This is due to age, but he is such a happy guy. I have a deaf Boston Terrier. She was born that way. Both of these little things have a good quality of life. You can still let her run with Remi. You can also attach them together with maybe a 3, to 4 foot rope. They will get used to that. If her blindness is permanent, you can contact Joyce Darnell who lives in Calvert County. Her specialty is Dogs with Disabilities. She can really help you out.

Thank you, I actually found out that someone I work with is also into the Pets with disabilities!! I fully hope she recovers. but I'm also trying to be realistic

KDENISE977

Thank you so much... I hope she has some improvement and maybe like yours she regains ANY sort of sight !! thank you again