Mennonites

Cletus_Vandam

Why is it that I have to pay registration fees to drive my car up and down the asphalt roads in Maryland; while the Mennonites who have to pay NOTHING to ride on these same roads with their horse drawn carriages?

Just this morning, I’m traveling through the heart of Leonardtown at 8:00 and here goes Mr. Mennonite rolling along in his carriage at mach .0000000000000002!!! I had just enough time to mash the brakes and make a lane change before making his horse next week’s Alpo. There are no shoulders in Leonardtown and these fools just drive the roads as if it were 1896 and they were on the way pick up another bag of grain.

Speaking with other people who seem to loathe them as much as I do, I understand that the Mennonites also do not have to register for the draft as they cannot go off the defend this County, due to religious beliefs. But yet they are given the same opportunities to prosper and live with all the freedoms that so many Americans made the ultimate sacrifice for.

Let’s look at another topic that burns me… I would like someone to try and obtain a building permit to construct a new house in St. Mary’s County that doesn’t have indoor plumbing. We’ll be told that it is a violation of the building code and a full functioning kitchen and toilet are required. But, apparently if you drive a horse (or bicycle) to work, don’t bathe except once a month and wear the same clothes every day, you can build that house without any plumbing. That seems like a fair enforcement of the code!!! (???)

Why is it that they won’t go out a buy their car, pay for insurance and registration; get Verizon at their house, or use SMECO’s electric, but they seem fine with jumping on the free public trans van or jumping in their buggy to ride to the local gas station to make a telephone call or buy gas for their generator???? How does religious belif come into the play here?

When I first moved here I thought it was “quant” seeing these folks. But after a few near misses of accidents and seeing what they get away with, just makes me more PO’d every time I have to change a lane to miss that pile of horse sh!t in the middle of the road… :cussing: :burning:

What’s everyone else take on this?
:confused:

Well, I don't go flying through the streets of Leonardtown so I have never come close to ramming my burb up the butt of a buggy. I would run my tire through horse poop rather than swerve into oncoming traffic or a ditch. Poop washes off. I would not want to send a person to defend me if they are only going to be fighting with a garden hoe or lawn rake.

I guess you can say I still find them quiant...:shrug:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I don't resent the Mennonites for their religious beliefs. They would only bother me if they went door to door telling non-Mennonites they're going to hell for using electricity.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I say leave them alone and find a different gripe. They're basically good hardworking people who aren't tossing butts out of those buggies.

sifl

I think you are referring to the 'Amishes'. The Mennonites drive cars.

hbaranim.gif

Originally posted by Sharon
I say leave them alone and find a different gripe. They're basically good hardworking people who aren't tossing butts out of those buggies.
:yeahthat: Just don't be in the same woods as them deer hunting. It's safer than public lands, but just barely.

edited to remove info stated by another forumite while I was typing...

Originally posted by sifl

hbaranim.gif

Last edited:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child

Some do, but I'm fairly sure the ones in the Loveville area are Old Order Mennonites, who follow the horse-and-buggy ways.

sifl

Originally posted by Tonio
Some do, but I'm fairly sure the ones in the Loveville area are Old Order Mennonites, who follow the horse-and-buggy ways.
Okay, than I guess it is just my imagination when I see a whole bunch of them pile out of their station wagon at the grocery store clowncar-style. :rolleyes:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Okay, than I guess it is just my imagination when I see a whole bunch of them pile out of their station wagon at the grocery store clowncar-style. :rolleyes:

I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I have heard that these Mennonites can use telephones and cars, but can't own them. There are other orders of Mennonites in the county. Most of the Amish in this area live near Charlotte Hall.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
And I am sure that they had the nice day-glow orange triangle hanging on the back of it just like any other farm vehicle that is not registered. BTW his speed was probably more on the order of .005 mach.

I also believe that the males must register with SSS but they do so as conscientious objectors and get an exemption. I am also sure that they pay property taxes of which a portion is for the highway system and other state benefits.

In other words, quit your b!tching and learn to share the road like you would with any bicyclist, pedestrian, farm equipment or horse drawn vehicle.

sifl

Originally posted by Tonio
I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I have heard that these Mennonites can use telephones and cars, but can't own them. There are other orders of Mennonites in the county. Most of the Amish in this area live near Charlotte Hall.
Your breath is minty-fresh today; oops, wrong thread.

Hot N Bothered

Ok, Amish are a sect of Mennonites. Amish are the stricter sect. They don't drive cars, can only use mechanized farm equipment if it doesn't have rubber on it, no plumbing, no phones, no zippers. Any electricity must be steam, water or wind generated and only as necessary for the operation of their business, not in their homes.

Non-Amish Mennonites drive vehicles but only black or brown and no chrome or other adornments. They wear brighter colors, you often see them in bright blue or purple, even red, pink and green.

Both groups are conscientious objectors to military service. Jehovah's Witnesses are too, as well as other religious groups.

Mennonites/Amish pay taxes. They don't spend money on gas, electricity, car payments, mortgages etc. So they have a decent amount of money which they put in locally owned banks and spend as much as possible at locally owned businesses. They read the paper and keep current on politics and they vote. All of them of voting age vote.

No vehicle which travels under 20 mph is required to have a vehicle registration. They are required to have that orange triangle on the back. But they are required to obey traffic laws, stop at stop lights, yield the right of way etc. They can be fined for violating those laws like anyone else. So if you want to hop on your lawn mower or tractor and tool on down the road, have at it. Keep it under 20 mph and have your orange triangle.

K

Katie

They are allowed to have a driver bring them places, they just can't own a car.

sifl

Originally posted by Katie
They are allowed to have a driver bring them places, they just can't own a car.
Maybe you are talking about Amish. I am referring to Mennonites, who I have seen behind the wheel on many, many occassions.