New roof

tuffenuff2

Lost some shingles over this winter with the storms. Currently have a tarp covering exposed wood. Need a new roof. How much should we expect it to cost? Any company recommendations?

baxter

Stay away from Roofing by George

STAY AWAY from roofing by George in Mechanicsville. I used them and had a new roof installed with a 50 yr guarantee, within one year I had a leak. I called them and they said to put a tarp on it until they could get here to look at it. When they arrived, they said I voided the warranty because I nailed a tarp on the roof. how else would I attach a tarp. I told them if the roof had not leaked it would not require a tarp. They wanted over $1500 to repair it. AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE!

PeoplesElbow

STAY AWAY from roofing by George in Mechanicsville. I used them and had a new roof installed with a 50 yr guarantee, within one year I had a leak. I called them and they said to put a tarp on it until they could get here to look at it. When they arrived, they said I voided the warranty because I nailed a tarp on the roof. how else would I attach a tarp. I told them if the roof had not leaked it would not require a tarp. They wanted over $1500 to repair it. AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE!

OMG bricks and rope in the eyelets of the tarp.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Lost some shingles over this winter with the storms. Currently have a tarp covering exposed wood. Need a new roof. How much should we expect it to cost? Any company recommendations?

No one can answer without knowing the size of the roof, the number of valleys, the amount of flashing which needs done, the height of the house, etc.

mamatutu

mama to two
G H Clark 410-414-7060 Prince Frederick

They usually have a $500 off new roof coupon in the Val Pak. They put our new roof on after Irene. It was through insurance. Hub says it was about $13,000. I don't know the dimensions of our roof, but it has a chalet style steep pitch in the middle section, one chimney, and 7 skylights. CertainTeed shingles 30 year.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member

Whoever you decide on, just make sure you get the old shingles removed.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Put in a claim with your insurance company. You may get a new roof for the price of your deductible.

glhs837

Power with Control
Whoever you decide on, just make sure you get the old shingles removed.

This to the max. Putting good shingles over bad is a poor way to save money. Roofing by George did my old house maybe eight or ten years ago. Still own that house, roof has been fine. House was 1300sf, simple roof, 8k with 30 year single s and a bit more waterproofing than normal.

Actually their response sounds pretty spot on and professional. $1500 to repair the holes you put in your own shingles/roof sounds like they cut you a deal.

nutz

15K +. There are some variables in my guesstimate such as slope of roof, height above grade, removing old shingles, drip edge, flashing, choice of shingle style/color/quality.

Bob Green
301-884-5477

Bushy23

Have you talked to your insurance company? They will only cover (I think) if you can specifically name the date of the storm that damaged the roof. You might be fine if they acknowledge the winter storm. I had a random t-storm take a bunch of shingles off my roof. Soon after we had a tropical storm come through and I was able to make a claim under that storm. Got a new roof for the cost of a deductible. Good deal.

nutz

Have you talked to your insurance company? They will only cover (I think) if you can specifically name the date of the storm that damaged the roof. You might be fine if they acknowledge the winter storm. I had a random t-storm take a bunch of shingles off my roof. Soon after we had a tropical storm come through and I was able to make a claim under that storm. Got a new roof for the cost of a deductible. Good deal.

And now you have a claim on your homeowners locking you into that co. for the foreseeable future. Odds are really good that no other company will insure you at "reasonable rates" because once that claim is filed you became "high risk".

FED_UP

Did the claim thing too, he found some lose shingles from a recent storm, cut me a check for a few hundred, replaced them myself. Actually the problem was water coming in through the long opening at the roof peak. Water would build up on some sort of black lining (for bug and dust I guess). Removed the lining no more leaking in the living room. The lining would let water build up in spots and cause dripping on spots to the point where wetting the living room ceiling. I never put another lining back up.