How do you spell stupid?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Smoking while on oxygen is unfortunately a lot more common than you realize.

But how do you do that? I'm a fairly accomplished smoker and even I couldn't manage it with tubes breathing in my nostrils.

I'm sorry this man blew up, but honestly.....who does that??

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
The man passed on. I have seen people outside the VA sitting on portable tanks smoking cigarette. The nasal cannula is how they get it in lungs.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
There was an identical incident in St. Mary's county back around 2012. If I recall correctly, that person perished too.

Roman

As a Medic, I was called to a home for trouble breathing. When I got there, I saw the oxygen tank with the nasal cannula hooked up to it. The cannula was loaded with nicotine where the prongs go in to the nose. I asked her if she smoked while using the oxygen, and she lied saying "no".

lucky_bee

RBF expert
But how do you do that? I'm a fairly accomplished smoker and even I couldn't manage it with tubes breathing in my nostrils.

I'm sorry this man blew up, but honestly.....who does that??

It's amazing. The dedication. Seriously.

My mother runs a home health care company back home and when she used to do all the home visits herself, lots of her patients were elderly and usually just getting home from surgery, hospital visits, etc. Number of them on oxygen and most of them still smoke. I had a neighbor when I was in college who was on oxygen for one thing, had cancer of something else, and sat on her couch all. day. long. smoking through more than a couple packs a day. Her apartment even had the "No Smoking Sign" required by the company that'd come drop off her tanks. Yet she sat inside all day, every day chain-smoking. :dead:

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
As an EMT I see it quite a bit too and SMH. Love when they think thier life will end if you pull the nasal cannula off for a minute to move them and they yell at you! Had one guy who would put the nasal cannula in his mouth and suck on it for "more" oxygen.

BOP

:faint:

Good thing most of them were volunteers.

"The 7:58 p.m. incident brought nearly 50 firefighters to the one alarm fire from La
Plata, Bryans Road, Waldorf, Potomac Heights, Accokeek, Marbury, Indian Head, Bel Alton, and Naval District Washington fire departments."

Goldenhawk

I don't think many people understand how dangerous pure oxygen is... I have never forgotten a demo from high school days in the 80s where they showed us what happens when an O2 tank hose caught fire from smoking.

I'm not a smoker, so I don't understand the raw need to smoke NOW, but still, I think if a smoker saw that demo, they'd have a little stronger willpower to not smoke while on the tank.

For your viewing pleasure, videos about the risks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bXIhtXrRVA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAAbMvHbrJA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wMRL2bVKc4

Related funny thing: look for videos about lighting a grill with liquid oxygen...