Being Alone As Bad As Smoking, Excessive Drinking

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Study: Being Alone As Bad As Smoking, Excessive Drinking

Researchers at Brigham Young University studied 3 million people.

They found people who said they were lonely, felt socially isolated or lived alone, had a 30 percent increased likelihood of death.

The study says loneliness and isolation are as damaging as obesity. The impact of loneliness has also been likened to smoking 15 cigarettes a day or excessive drinking. So partner up.

Malarkey. I've been alone for 20 years now. I'm just fine. Fit as a fiddle. No pro.........

:sounds of sirens:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
"In other news, researchers at Brigham Young University have studied over 3,000,000 people in bad relationship and discovered that these people feel isolated and alone and, without exception, have a 100% likelihood of death...in sports today..."

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yea - probably a lot more healthy being a single billionaire living all over and traveling all over, then being a broke married guy living in a trailer park.

I know some rich guys who are not very healthy and not happy as I define it. I know some poor guys who don't have a care in the world. Very happy. I know some rich guys who were happy before they got rich and are happy now. I know some miserable poor people.

Money don't buy happiness. And that's not to say being poor does either. It's all in appreciating what you have and working, happily, towards what you want. :buddies:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
:sounds of sirens:

:lol:

Introverts don't feel "lonely" or "isolated" - they like it that way. I am a basic introvert who is good at playing extrovert, so long stretches of minimal human contact not only doesn't bother me, it makes me feel like I'm on vacation. Monello is pretty much the same way, so we are quite compatible being alone together. :jet:

Study: Being Alone As Bad As Smoking, Excessive Drinking

Researchers at Brigham Young University studied 3 million people.

They found people who said they were lonely, felt socially isolated or lived alone, had a 30 percent increased likelihood of death.

The study says loneliness and isolation are as damaging as obesity. The impact of loneliness has also been likened to smoking 15 cigarettes a day or excessive drinking. So partner up.

Admittedly, I'm not much of a stats person. When people start talking about things like likelihoods and sample sets and conditional probability and Bayes' Theorem and, God forbid, standard deviation, my ears start to hurt and my mind clouds over. But even I (think I) understand the basic concepts well enough that I feel obliged to ask: How the hell does one - anyone - manage to increase their likelihood of death by 30%?

CrashTest

I know some rich guys who are not very healthy and not happy as I define it. I know some poor guys who don't have a care in the world. Very happy. I know some rich guys who were happy before they got rich and are happy now. I know some miserable poor people.

Money don't buy happiness. And that's not to say being poor does either. It's all in appreciating what you have and working, happily, towards what you want. :buddies:

Money buys health and healthy lifestyle.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Admittedly, I'm not much of a stats person. When people start talking about things like likelihoods and sample sets and conditional probability and Bayes' Theorem and, God forbid, standard deviation, my ears start to hurt and my mind clouds over. But even I (think I) understand the basic concepts well enough that I feel obliged to ask: How the hell does one - anyone - manage to increase their likelihood of death by 30%?

I don't know how, but I think the answer is Obamacare.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Money buys health and healthy lifestyle.

No it does not. It buys health care which is not the same as health and it CAN buy a healthy lifestyle but a healthy lifestyle is affordable by anyone, especially the poor.

Eat less crap, have a reasonably balanced diet, live an active life, stay away from drugs and alcohol. Floss every day.

Bobwhite

No it does not. It buys health care which is not the same as health and it CAN buy a healthy lifestyle but a healthy lifestyle is affordable by anyone, especially the poor.

Eat less crap, have a reasonably balanced diet, live an active life, stay away from drugs and alcohol. Floss every day.

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it". - Charles Swindoll

b23hqb

PREMO Member

Chances of death increased simply by reading these research reports? Or just dying earlier? How about everybody has a 100% chance of death?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I suggest a Water Pick. The first few times I used one, I was amazed at the results...even after brushing and flossing. Those things will blast the junk right out.

Can't speak for them because I simply don't know. The floss isn't so much for the 'junk' as it is for the abrasion in the gums and where the brush can't reach to break up the bacterial colonization. I suppose the WP would do that but I dunno. Maybe not so much?