Where to buy steel-toed work boots?

Restless

Greetings!

My husband needs a new pair of workboots that are steel-toed. I know lots of local places carry basic ones, but he needs a pair that are easy on the bottom of the feet because he has recurring plantar fascitis. Can anyone suggest any places to try outside St. Mary's County? We have tried ordering online but they usually don't fit and have to be sent back at our cost. I was wondering if there is anything up towards Annapolis or down in Fredericksburg that might have a good selection of work boots.

Thank you in advance for your help!

TPD

the poor dad
Greetings!

My husband needs a new pair of workboots that are steel-toed. I know lots of local places carry basic ones, but he needs a pair that are easy on the bottom of the feet because he has recurring plantar fascitis. Can anyone suggest any places to try outside St. Mary's County? We have tried ordering online but they usually don't fit and have to be sent back at our cost. I was wondering if there is anything up towards Annapolis or down in Fredericksburg that might have a good selection of work boots.

Red Wing my in Waldorf.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe-stores/Leonardtown, MD 20650/38.27878/-76.63713/n

BigBlue

Greetings!

I too recommend Red wing but if you have some time try on line

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Without hestitation, Red Wing in Waldorf. They do a thorough fitting instead of just grabbing a box off the shelf. My last pair of RWs had different pair of insoles that made long hours of working on concrete floors much more bearable.

Blister

I have "plantar fibromas" and have been wearing Steel toed boots for a long time. Far and away the most comfortable I have worn have been Wolverine brand "durashocks." Sold at Southern States in Charlotte Hall. However I stick with Red Wings for durability and long life. If he only has to walk on solid surfaces I would definitely try the Wolverines. If he has to squat or climb ladders, or work on construction sites the red wings are almost as comfortable with a much more durable sole.

I have "plantar fibromas" and have been wearing Steel toed boots for a long time. Far and away the most comfortable I have worn have been Wolverine brand "durashocks." Sold at Southern States in Charlotte Hall. However I stick with Red Wings for durability and long life. If he only has to walk on solid surfaces I would definitely try the Wolverines. If he has to squat or climb ladders, or work on construction sites the red wings are almost as comfortable with a much more durable sole.

Beacon surplus, just south of Waldorf on RT 5 has boots. I bought Georgia Boots with steel toes there. They were about $130 and are some of the best boots I've bought in years.

Blister

On a side note if he can wear "composite toe" boots I would recommend he try them out. They are much lighter and not as cold in the winter months. I will never wear steel toes again.

Lilypad

Make sure you buy the Red Wings that are made in USA...not the ones made in China. :boo: They make high quality motorcycle and work shoes for men and have limited offerings for women. Red Wings comfort and fashion shoes and boots are all made in China.

Hijinx

Make sure you buy the Red Wings that are made in USA...not the ones made in China. :boo: They make high quality motorcycle and work shoes for men and have limited offerings for women. Red Wings comfort and fashion shoes and boots are all made in China.

I thought all Red Wings were made in the USA. Red Wings are not cheap, why would anyone pay Red Wing prices for Chinese boots.

Thanks for the info.

Lilypad

I tried to find a pair of boots for EMS that weren't made in China-ended up w/a pair of Danner's.

frequentflier

happy to be living
There is also Hessing & sons in Dunkirk (same plaza as a McDonalds, WalMart). I buy all my shoes from them because I have an orthotic lift and it is difficult to find shoes that can accommodate it. The owner, Paul, is very knowledgeable about problems with the feet. They sell Red Wings, which I loved and wore for 20+ years.

Red Wings are a bit costly, but one of the best. Have had a pair I used for motorcycle riding since 1978! Wear them in the winter now and still in very good condition. You can also try online at www.galls.com. They sell firefighter and police boots with composite toe that meet safety standards but are a lot lighter.