What's the deal?

SG_Player1974

Can anyone give me a reasonable explanation as to why the traffic on SB 235 near the base is so much more horrible on a Tuesday morning than it is on a Monday morning? Seems like every Monday morning the traffic is a LOT lighter and easier to navigate than on Tuesdays.

Is there some kind of 3-day weekend that the base folks get EVERY weekend?

lucky_bee

RBF expert
couple possible reasons:

1. mostly everybody is late on Mondays. Adjusting from the weekend.
2. Lots of meetings are held on Tuesdays so to make sure employees have already recovered from the weekend and will actually be in on time.
3. Some people choose to have their CWS day on Monday instead of Friday.

SG_Player1974

couple possible reasons:

1. mostly everybody is late on Mondays. Adjusting from the weekend.
2. Lots of meetings are held on Tuesdays so to make sure employees have already recovered from the weekend and will actually be in on time.
3. Some people choose to have their CWS day on Monday instead of Friday.

Interesting answers....

#1. Late on EVERY Monday? Why are they still employed?
#2. So not only are they late on Mondays but, possibly late on Tuesdays too?! Again... why still employed?
#3. I could possibly see this however, that is a lot of people to make that much difference.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Interesting answers....

#2. So not only are they late on Mondays but, possibly late on Tuesdays too?! Again... why still employed?
#3. I could possibly see this however, that is a lot of people to make that much difference.

chill out. If I'm late, I work late.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Interesting answers....

You must have a crappy job and horrible boss if you're always worried about what people get away with at their job. Who cares if someone is late and still has a job, they probably make up for it by staying late or working through lunch. This really bothers you, you talk about it a lot.

JeJeTe

Happiness
Most people have core hours to abide by. My usual time to get in is 6:30-7am but I didn't get in until 7:30 yesterday which might be considered late if I had a set time to be in but I don't. I have to be in by 9 or let someone know. And yes it was because I couldn't get out of bed yesterday morning.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Also I thought of another reason. When I worked at a hotel bar in the area, our core business was with Govt on TDY. They usually flew in on Mondays bc it's cheaper and went into PAXR starting Tues to do their business for the week and were gone/checked out by Friday morning. They all had rental cars, soooo more cars traveling on base Tues mornings. :high5:

Edit: And by late I mean...20 mins give or take. Enough people late a few mins here or there and that helps the traffic stagger a bit. Think outside the box.

blacklabman

You must have a crappy job and horrible boss if you're always worried about what people get away with at their job. Who cares if someone is late and still has a job, they probably make up for it by staying late or working through lunch. This really bothers you, you talk about it a lot.

Working through lunch! How you ever seen the traffic at gates 1 and 2 during the lunch time?

SG_Player1974

When people say "core hours" doesn't that really mean FLEXIBLE hours?

Most people have a set time to be at work. I was under the impression that the majority of the working class is set up that way :shrug:

JeJeTe

Happiness
When people say "core hours" doesn't that really mean FLEXIBLE hours?

Most people have a set time to be at work. I was under the impression that the majority of the working class is set up that way :shrug:

Yes. I think my company's core hours are 9-3. Those are the hours we have to be availabile to our customers. But the hours before and after that slide to accomodate our personal schedule.

I've only had a set time to be there in just one of my many jobs on base.

SG_Player1974

I just know that I have had to "work with" some of the government folks on a few occasions. What I learned is that you are wasting your time if you call them before 9am, between 11:30 and 1pm, and after 3:30pm.

I think that between those times, I get about a 10% response. Those are some sweet "core" hours to work though...

blacklabman

When is your lunch time?

I'm retired. I usually have a light lunch with a glass of wine about 1100. I do not travel Rte 235 during the morning and evening rushes, and lunch time unless absolutely required. I made the mistake of getting a trim at the barber close to gate 2 late in the AM. Could not believe the mess.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
I haven't had a "Be here by NLT 0700" since I worked for Dyna back in the late 90s. Ever since then, it's been an expectation that you arrive before say 8am, but really, as long as you got your 80 in a two week period, wasn't a thing how you got there. But my jobs have never been super desk dependent. Gotta come in at 9pm to inspect a bird? Sure thing. Gotta start at 0400 training folks, why not?

bilbur

I just know that I have had to "work with" some of the government folks on a few occasions. What I learned is that you are wasting your time if you call them before 9am, between 11:30 and 1pm, and after 3:30pm.

I think that between those times, I get about a 10% response. Those are some sweet "core" hours to work though...

You must have had some crappy government people. I work for a contractor and my hours are usually 0800 to 1700, however, if I want to show up at 0900 I just work until 1800 or I can show up early and leave early. As for government employees, the government guy in my office is usually there when I get there and there when I leave. I know he is not authorized OT or the ability to bank the hours so I guess he just doesn't get compensated for the time over 80 hours. I also know of some offices that will only field calls for a particular period of time because they need time before or after to finish other duties such as paperwork or meetings. This might explain why they are hard to get ahold of during certain times. I will admit the government holds a lot of meetings to discuss productivity while hindering productivity by holding the meeting.

merc669

Interesting answers....

Remember you cannot fire a Simple Servant. Only pawn them off to someone else.....