Reusing Stuff

Forkian

I reuse plastic shopping bags as trash bags in the bathroom. What other things do you reuse or find new uses for?

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Old stainless steel washing machine drum (front load perforated style)just became a firepit barrel, part of it's casing will become a new fender for the Samurai :)

mamatutu

mama to two
I reuse plastic containers that meat, deli, etc. come in. I haven't bought storage containers in years. I, also, use pieces of cardboard covered in foil to put cakes in a cake carrier, or cookies, muffins, etc. to sit on in a plastic bag. Newspaper for fires, projects, or wrapping paper. Wash reuse plastic plates, cups and dinnerware until they start cracking. Melt used scent tarts and add oil fragrance. Use plastic produce bags from the grocery to collect meal scraps, or coat meat with bread crumbs, etc. Use saved paper bags to send leftovers home with my FIL every Sunday. Use my last year's at a glance calendar pages to make notes, lists, etc. Used fax and copy paper torn in half to make notepads for hub to makes notes and doodle on in his office. That's all I can think of for now.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The plastic containers from microwave meals make great mixing containers for West System epoxy, especially when adding in thickeners or fibers. Corona 12-pack cartons are great for storing things on shelves...like engine parts.

glhs837

Power with Control
The plastic containers from microwave meals make great mixing containers for West System epoxy, especially when adding in thickeners or fibers. Corona 12-pack cartons are great for storing things on shelves...like engine parts.

I use the plastic tubs from lunch meats to store all sort of small parts. Also good for drilling small holes in the overhead. Fill cardboard egg containers with sawdust, add melted caning wax, and you have great fire starters.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Fill cardboard egg containers with sawdust, add melted caning wax, and you have great fire starters.

Thats a great idea for indoor use. I mix used motor oil with sawdust, in a re-purposed 5-gallon drywall mud pail, to make my fire starter for the shop stove, but that smells too much to use inside the house.

DEEKAYPEE8569

The problem we run into now is; the things we don't re-purpose, we recycle; bad part about recycling; there's only two of us in the house now, so it takes forever to collect enough trash or recyclables to make a drive to the transfer station worth it.

Last edited:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Recycle containers from salad bars as seed starters for the garden.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Was in a garage once and saw a neat idea, the guy saved jars, baby food, pickle, all smallish jars, he nailed the lids to the bottom of a shelf and had nuts, bolts, nails and other small stuff in them, if he needed something he'd just unscrew the jar from the lid. Didn't take up much room at all and nice having it all organized.

I reuse empty prescription bottles for small fishing stuff and crafts.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Shoe boxes...great for extra greeting cards. I also have one for stamps (My Dad is a stamp collector and had a stamp business for many years) and I am a stamp hoarder.
The cats also like to lay in them.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Shoe boxes...great for extra greeting cards. I also have one for stamps (My Dad is a stamp collector and had a stamp business for many years) and I am a stamp hoarder.
The cats also like to lay in them.

I have my fathers stamp collection and looking to sell it. Think he might be interested in taking a look?

frequentflier

happy to be living
I have my fathers stamp collection and looking to sell it. Think he might be interested in taking a look?

My Dad is almost 85 and has slowed down a lot. He sold his business several years ago and is still involved in organizing stamp shows but I don't think he buys collections any more. He doesn't live here, either. Sorry.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My Dad is almost 85 and has slowed down a lot. He sold his business several years ago and is still involved in organizing stamp shows but I don't think he buys collections any more. He doesn't live here, either. Sorry.

Ok thanks. I need to find a place to offload the collection and not get ripped off.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Ok thanks. I need to find a place to offload the collection and not get ripped off.

Stamp collecting as a hobby seems to be waning. The invention of self stick stamps and *forever* stamps has not helped. Many collectors are elderly and my Dad was involved for many years in trying to interest and introduce younger people into the hobby to keep it going.

I wish I knew of someone reputable in the area to send you to. Maybe someone else on here can offer advice.