Bonsai

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Do you want to buy a kept bonsai or make one?

I don't know what you mean by a "kept" bonsai, and I don't think I want to make one. Bonsai are new territory for me, but I want to make one of these....

Attachments

• landscape.JPG
    landscape.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 329

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I don't know what you mean by a "kept" bonsai, and I don't think I want to make one. Bonsai are new territory for me, but I want to make one of these....

A kept bonsai is basically a pre made bonsai. Someone has pruned and shaped it the way they wanted it and eventually sold it.

I've made a few over the years and it's not as hard as you might think. I usually find a Juniper that's a unique shape and then start pruning and molding it with wire.

I have an old bonsai basics book I bought probably 25 years ago that’s pretty good but there are a ton of online resources now.

http://www.wikihow.com/Start-a-Bonsai-Tree

mAlice

professional daydreamer
A kept bonsai is basically a pre made bonsai. Someone has pruned and shaped it the way they wanted it and eventually sold it.

I've made a few over the years and it's not as hard as you might think. I usually find a Juniper that's a unique shape and then start pruning and molding it with wire.

I have an old bonsai basics book I bought probably 25 years ago that’s pretty good but there are a ton of online resources now.

http://www.wikihow.com/Start-a-Bonsai-Tree

I really just want one that's ready to plop in my little project. If I can keep that alive, then I might consider making my own. I'd like for this to be a finished project by the time it's warm enough to start using the deck.

So...has anyone seen any for sale anywhere?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
This is so cute!!!

Iknowright!? I already have the tray (red ceramic) some other plants to go in it, a couple of different types of moss and a little English cottage. I think it'll be a nice center piece for the table on the deck.

JeJeTe

Happiness
Iknowright!? I already have the tray (red ceramic) some other plants to go in it, a couple of different types of moss and a little English cottage. I think it'll be a nice center piece for the table on the deck.

You'll have to let me know how hard this was to accomplish when you are done. I'd love to do one.

b23hqb

PREMO Member

That's really cool. I am planning an outdoor garden railroad, and the bonsai aspect should fit nicely.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
That's really cool. I am planning an outdoor garden railroad, and the bonsai aspect should fit nicely.

that's a very cool idea. If this is a success, I'm going to give this a go in the back yard for my grandson. I think a railroad might make it a lot more fun for him.
What can you tell me about yours? What kind of train? Will it need to be protected from the elements, anything else I might need to know before I make an attempt?