Do you know what this is?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
dunker.jpg

glhs837

Power with Control
Oh, yeah. Rode one I think 5 or so times. Never looked that cool back then, but Panic in a Drum remains Panic in a Drum, no matter how bright the paint :) I do note the reference handholds outside the windows, seems to be cheating a bit. Our handholds were inside the tube.

Monello

PREMO Member
Don't forget - 2 and 4 out the door. 1 and 3 nearest me.

Bonus points if you didn't get kicked in the head.

glhs837

Power with Control
Don't forget - 2 and 4 out the door. 1 and 3 nearest me.

Bonus points if you didn't get kicked in the head.

Nope, bonus points if you DID get kicked in the head, because the bugger that did that gets to ride again :) And again :) Even if you didn't feel the kick :) Sketchy bastard, I knew he was going to be a problem :) We didn't break up out the door and windows. Our drill was either all out the door, or all out individual windows. Without and them with blackout goggles. And none of that wussy HEEDS bottle crap :) Breathing? You earn that by getting out....

Vince

I loved that thing. If they asked who wants to go again....I would volunteer. E ticket ride.

DEEKAYPEE8569

A long time ago, Dad told me what this was and what it was for. The part that he would come home 'whipped' after doing was the water survival training. If I remember correctly, that was jumping into the deep end of the pool in full flight gear and not drowning.

glhs837

Power with Control
I been in something similar but it was a fuselage that tipped over and sunk.

So does that one, should roll 90 and 180, completely submerged. Simulates a helicopter like an H-46 or H-53, the aircraft that Navy and Marines are most likely to actually end up in the water while flying in. Given that helos have all the real heavy crap up top, a roll is almost guaranteed.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
So does that one, should roll 90 and 180, completely submerged. Simulates a helicopter like an H-46 or H-53, the aircraft that Navy and Marines are most likely to actually end up in the water while flying in. Given that helos have all the real heavy crap up top, a roll is almost guaranteed.

:yay:

At the same time I did that, I did my fast rope qualification and some other stuff. It was like a great wolf lodge water park shoved into a farm silo. There was a big prop at the top of the building making wash and pumps making rip tides and I was all like help! help!

Whitey

Oh...good times.

Never failed, I always got the pilot seat for the blind, "use main exit door" ride.

The new device is better; windows that you need to actually remove in order to exit.

Vince

A long time ago, Dad told me what this was and what it was for. The part that he would come home 'whipped' after doing was the water survival training. If I remember correctly, that was jumping into the deep end of the pool in full flight gear and not drowning.
You had to swim 5 lengths of the pool with full flight gear and helmet. Also, tread water for a length of time with all that gear on. Jump off the tower and then fun with the dilbert dunker and the multiplace dunker (the above photo). It was a fun day.

Monello

PREMO Member
There was also something called the helo drag. You had to get out of the harness while water was sprayed in your face and you got pulled across the water. You had to bicycle your legs to maintain your balance.

Last edited:

Monello

PREMO Member
The dunker is now all tricked out. I remember it resembled a coffee can on pulleys. I bet it's still just as much fun as it was back during the Reagan administration.

glhs837

Power with Control
There was also something called the helo drag. You had to get out of the harness while water was sprayed in your face and you got pulled across the water. You had to bicycle your legs to maintain your balance.

Which was fun, unless like a guy in one of my classes, you got one foot hooked in the harness by not rolling out clean..... then you got drug the length of the poo, for the return trip of the harness :)

NTNG

Forgot about the parachute drag. All kinds of fun stuff in the pool. :banana:

First time I did the parachute drag was in Pensacola. In the bay, behind a Mike boat with a tower rigged to it. It had an "I" beam going out aft, past the transom. Some sort of roller rig allowed you to slide aft, and off the beam. You put the harness on, and it you "sat down. You were suspended, and the PR pushed you off the tower's beam. You dropped into the water, and had to roll over on your back, un do the fittings, and deploy your raft from the seat pan, and inflate it. What a hoot! Once we got back to the sea wall, they had coffee and the CPO had a bottle of special " additive" for the coffee, to help you get warm.
Old Navy kinda stuff...

Monello

PREMO Member
On our helo drop into the bay we got picked up by a trailing boat. They had a large cooler filled with hot chicken noodle soup. When anyone reached for a cup of soup to warm up, their flight suit was full of water. The water would drip into the cooler. We were cold so nobody seemed to mind. I bet the last few that we picked up had some really salty soup after all the sea water added over time.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
On our helo drop into the bay we got picked up by a trailing boat. They had a large cooler filled with hot chicken noodle soup. When anyone reached for a cup of soup to warm up, their flight suit was full of water. The water would drip into the cooler. We were cold so nobody seemed to mind. I bet the last few that we picked up had some really salty soup after all the sea water added over time.

Using sea-salt before sea-salt was cool. :yay:

glhs837

Power with Control
We didn't get dropped by a helo, but we did get picked up. Then set right back down....... pushed off the boat, helo hovers, drops cable, hook up after the cable grounds, hoist up maybe 75 feet to helo, crewman in doorway slaps your helmet, pulls you in to sit, then kicks you back out and lowers you. then you float til boat comes back around. No soup, no fortified coffee....