Kane v. Lewis. Ruling regarding police raids

Chris0nllyn

In May 2005, police in Cambridge, Md., received an anonymous tip that there was drug activity going on in the duplex at 408 High St. (Yes, that’s the real name of the street.) They did a trash pull and found what they claimed to be two plastic bags, one from each apartment, that contained marijuana residue. That’s it. That’s the probable cause for what happened next.

At 4:30 a.m. on May 6, SWAT teams from the Cambridge Police Department conducted simultaneous raids on the two apartments. According to the police, during the raid on the upstairs apartment, resident Andrew Cornish emerged from his bedroom carrying a knife, which was still in its sheath. The police say Cornish then confronted them, at which point one of the officers shot Cornish in the face and forehead. Cornish died. According to the court, the police found “a small amount of marijuana” in the apartment. By the officers’ testimony, the raid took less than a minute.

They initially claimed that they pounded on the door and loudly announced themselves two times before taking a battering ram to the door. But the residents of the downstairs apartment, which was raided at the same time, testified that they never heard a knock or an announcement. Moreover, the outer door to Cornish’s apartment showed no signs of having been smashed open with a ram. Both the trial court and the appeals court that ruled against Cornish’s father acknowledge that the police violated the knock-and-announce rule and that they lied about doing so.

That still wasn’t enough for Cornish’s father to win damages. That’s because the majority found that even though the police violated Cornish’s constitutional rights by failing to give him the opportunity to come to the door and let them in peacefully — as required by centuries of common law — Cornish’s death wasn’t the fault of the police officer who shot him. Instead, the majority ruled that Cornish is responsible for his own death, because according to police, he should have known that they were the police when he attacked them with a sheathed knife, and his act of knowingly attacking the police after they had entered his home supersedes their failure to knock and announce.

It is an utterly absurd ruling. Police don’t raid homes at 4:30 a.m, with battering rams in order to let suspects know that they’re the police. They raid homes at 4:30 a.m. with battering rams for the very purpose of disorienting and confusing suspects so that they can take them by surprise. You can’t simultaneously argue that confusing and disorienting a suspect is necessary to protect the safety of police officers, and that the same suspect you’re trying to confuse and disorient should be able to wake from a sleep, process what’s going on around him, immediately discern that the armed men who have just broken into his home are police serving a warrant and not criminals there to do him harm, and that should he make an error in judgment, he alone is responsible for the consequences — whether it’s the end of his own life, or his killing, or the injuring of one of the police officers.

Actually, it may not be logically consistent, but you can make both arguments. The police do it all the time. And the courts back them up.

Harris points out that this was particularly true of Cornish.

Cornish was not some drug kingpin who might be on notice as to the possibility of an unannounced police raid. On the contrary, Cornish enjoyed a cordial relationship with the police; one of the Officers testified that while on duty he would occasionally stop by Cornish’s building and share a Pepsi with Cornish on the front porch. And as noted above, as to Cornish, this was a case about trace amounts of marijuana found in a trash rip, which ultimately led to the seizure of a small quantity of marijuana in Cornish’s apartment — not exactly the stuff of no-knock nighttime SWAT raids.

There’s a huge double standard at play here in the sort of composure, good judgment and decision-making the courts demand during these raids. That is, they demand all three from the people on the receiving end of the raids, and none of the three from the police.

Those are precisely the circumstances — “tense, uncertain, and rapidly evolving” — under which we give police officers the benefit of the doubt when it comes to their perceptions …

In evaluating the use of force by officers, we make allowances for the fact that such situations can be exceptionally confusing and fast-moving, with officers required to make split-second judgments under suboptimal conditions.

In the context of a rapid-deployment and high-pressure nighttime raid, police officers cannot be held to “the 20/20 vision of hindsight,” (Graham, 490 U.S. at 396) and must instead be judged under a more forgiving standard.

Indeed, the Officers here argued as much to the jury, in defending against Kane’s claim for excessive force. According to the Officers, for instance, events in the apartment were so fast-moving and conditions for observation so poor that they could not discern — nor be expected to discern — that what Cornish held in his hand was a knife in a sheath and not, as they thought at the time, an unsheathed knife, or perhaps a machete or a pipe. The jury apparently credited that account, and decided the excessive force claim against Kane. There is no reason I can think of that the same jury could not apply the same standard to Cornish — who, unlike the Officers, had the benefit of neither training nor advance warning when he found himself caught up in the tumult of a military-style nighttime raid — and assume that Cornish, too, would be unable to exercise the powers of careful discernment that could be expected under less fraught circumstances.

The two-judge majority simply trusts the police when they say that Cornish had to have known they were law enforcement before he attacked them with a sheathed knife. But very little about that scenario makes sense. Why would a guy with only a small amount of pot knowingly take on a heavily armed SWAT team with a sheathed knife? That would seem to be the actions of someone trying to scare off a criminal intruder. One of the officers’ answer to that question: “People do irrational things.”

First, note how long it took to get even this far in this case. It has now been almost 10 years years since Cornish was killed. And I suspect Cornish’s father will appeal.

Second, in the 2006 case Hudson v. Michigan, the Supreme Court ruled that even when police violate the knock-and-announce rule during a raid, the exclusionary rule doesn’t apply. That is, the police can still use any incriminating evidence they may find after entering against the suspect at trial. The court had been watering down the knock-and-announce requirement for decades. This was a death blow. The ruling meant that even when police violate the already watered-down rule, there will be no real consequences.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...odies-everything-thats-wrong-with-drug-raids/

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
claymore.JPG

glhs837

Power with Control
Whats good for the police isn't whats always best for citizens. And the more that's true, the less are they protecting and serving.

Chris0nllyn

Any other decision would have impeded law enforcement in the performance of their duties.

If this decision was the opposite, what would make it harder for police? The fact that they can't use plastic bags with suspected marijuana residue found in outdoor trash as grounds for a no-knock warrant?

Making them prove, without a doubt, that dangerous people live there isn't "impending" law enforcement. Couple that with the obvious double standard involving using force/decision making, and it potentially keeps innocent people, and officers safe.

tom88

If this decision was the opposite, what would make it harder for police? The fact that they can't use plastic bags with suspected marijuana residue found in outdoor trash as grounds for a no-knock warrant?

Making them prove, without a doubt, that dangerous people live there isn't "impending" law enforcement. Couple that with the obvious double standard involving using force/decision making, and it potentially keeps innocent people, and officers safe.

Your emotional argument doesn't work with me.

The dead mans criminal history revealed he had a propensity for violence. Assault charges, battery charges. Not to mention that he attacked police officers with a knife, which is what led to his demise. So the proof you seek is there, you just have to look.

Any other decision would have impeded law enforcement in the performance of their duties.

Rather, a different decision might have recognized that our Constitution impedes law enforcement, it prioritizes protecting individuals from government and securing their rights over empowering government and facilitating its efficiency. Frankly, these days, government could use some impeding, and it could use it in many regards including, perhaps especially, law enforcement. We just don't hold it accountable to the degree we ought to, and in not doing so we've too much let loose the reins.

tom88

Rather, a different decision might have recognized that our Constitution impedes law enforcement, it prioritizes protecting individuals from government and securing their rights over empowering government and facilitating its efficiency. Frankly, these days, government could use some impeding, and it could use it in many regards including, perhaps especially, law enforcement. We just don't hold it accountable to the degree we ought to, and in not doing so we've too much let loose the reins.

I disagree. I think everyone with a smart phone has an opinion of law enforcement and therefore scrutinize every decision which they make. I think the job of law enforcement is tough and today's society is just making it tougher. They are in a lose/lose battle.

Even in this instance, people such as yourselves are implying there is some sort of violation of the constitution, but the court disageed. Tell me where there is a constitutional violation here? A search warrant was lawfully signed and executed. The person who has a history of violence came at law enforcment with a knife, yet you someohw feel that decision was wrong.

Frankly, these days, law enforcement needs the benefit of doubt rather than the presumption of guilt.

Chris0nllyn

Your emotional argument doesn't work with me.

The dead mans criminal history revealed he had a propensity for violence. Assault charges, battery charges. Not to mention that he attacked police officers with a knife, which is what led to his demise. So the proof you seek is there, you just have to look.

"attack with a knife"

Do you think he would have come out of his room with a (sheathed) knife in the middle of the night if he knew it was cops?

You pointed out the double standard for me, and I appreciate that. I'm asking you to elaborate on your points, and you think I'm having some emotional argument.

Chris0nllyn

I disagree. I think everyone with a smart phone has an opinion of law enforcement and therefore scrutinize every decision which they make. I think the job of law enforcement is tough and today's society is just making it tougher. They are in a lose/lose battle.

Even in this instance, people such as yourselves are implying there is some sort of violation of the constitution, but the court disageed. Tell me where there is a constitutional violation here? A search warrant was lawfully signed and executed. The person who has a history of violence came at law enforcment with a knife, yet you someohw feel that decision was wrong.

Frankly, these days, law enforcement needs the benefit of doubt rather than the presumption of guilt.

Compared to warrant requirements only a few decades ago, how on earth can you assume their job is getting harder? How is society making it harder?

The decision is wrong based on the evidence used to get the warrant anyway. The decision is wrong because of the double standard applied to officers and those on the receiving end. The decision is wrong because it opens the door to more raids on innocent people. Raids where innocent people have been/could be injured or killed with nothing more than an "oops, my bad" from police, and possibly some (taxpayer funded) settlement. But please, tell us all how their job is getting tougher.

I'm not at all arguing that there was a constitutional violation, based on how courts have been interpreting our constitutional protections, involved here. I haven't looked at the details of this case enough to have a strong opinion in that regard. My comment was that, a different ruling - e.g., a ruling that would tend to hold government more accountable for its actions - had there been one, might have been recognizing that our Constitution meant to impede law enforcement. You commented that a different ruling would have impeded law enforcement. My point was kinda like saying - Yeah, and? That is a large part of the point of our Constitution, and of the Bill of Rights (and part of the 14th Amendment) in particular, to impede government. That's not an innately bad thing, indeed it's quite American in nature. In the formation of this nation we decided that impeding government was a good thing, our Founders and later framers did the calculus and decided that a heavy dose of government-impeding was desirable.

I'm aware of how courts have interpreted a number of issues relating to law enforcement - e.g., 4th Amendment protections, 5th Amendment protections, qualified immunity protections for government actors. And, in general, I think the courts have interpreted so many of our - the people's - protections too impotently; courts have given governments too much latitude and shown government actors too much deference. Simply put, I think courts have too often gotten it wrong. I'm not claiming that their collective decisions support what I believe to be proper interpretations of the Constitution.

That said, it seems you and I have fundamentally different notions of the preferable state of the balance of power between individuals and government. We have different ideas of how government should be regarded, to what extent it should be checked. I believe it is a necessary evil, something to be tolerated. But I believe it should be, for the most part, kept under heel and forced always - at every turn and in every decision it makes - to question whether or not it is acting properly. I think it should always be insecure as to the extent of its rightful powers, and like a dog that's not quite sure precisely where the zap from the invisible electric fence will come it should strive to make sure it stays well within the operable realm that's been created for it. If that makes it less efficient, if that makes the business of governance more difficult, if that means the real world extent of government activity - both that which might be for the better and that which might be for the worse - is lessened, then so be it.

The government should be held to a higher standard than individuals (through sovereign action, at least - though not necessarily through natural market-ilke forces) are. I think it is worse to allow the government to get away with bad behavior than it is to allow individuals to. First and foremost, government should not do harm. If it can protect people from each other while not itself being the bad actor, then fine. But to the extent it might itself be the bad actor, it should stand ineffectual instead. And it should not be given the benefit of the doubt, we disagree on that point. It is not the government that should get the benefit of the doubt, it is the people - as individuals - that should. The government should be held to account for its actions, each of its actions. It is the natural tendency of power to garner more power, and to safeguard that power from diminishment; thus government needs to be restrained from the outset and never given the opportunity to break free from its restraints. Unfortunately, that barn door was left open long ago and at this point the horse has too long been allowed to think itself (again) a wild animal for there to be much hope that we'll ever be able to corral it again.

H

Hodr

Just anecdotally, the only time I ever see this end in the favor of the citizen is when they were actually armed and fired back. You see story after story of unarmed people being shot (sometimes in their beds), or babies hit with tear gas canisters, etc. But the armed folks who fight back (and sometimes kill the intruders) end up getting acquitted of charges.

Seems like the answer is to not bring a knife to a gun fight.

Note: I don't actually own any guns, would never do anything to incite a no-knock warrant, and certainly don't advocate shooting at police, just providing my interpretation of recent news articles.

Chris0nllyn

Just anecdotally, the only time I ever see this end in the favor of the citizen is when they were actually armed and fired back. You see story after story of unarmed people being shot (sometimes in their beds), or babies hit with tear gas canisters, etc. But the armed folks who fight back (and sometimes kill the intruders) end up getting acquitted of charges.

Seems like the answer is to not bring a knife to a gun fight.

Note: I don't actually own any guns, would never do anything to incite a no-knock warrant, and certainly don't advocate shooting at police, just providing my interpretation of recent news articles.

Fair point.

If you don't get shot in the process of figuring out who is barging in your house in the middle of the night (but the fact that it's early in the morning, you've been awakened by loud noises is no defense, BTW, regardless of if you're a drug dealer that has some assumption that it could happen, or an innocent person who happen to have the same address given to the swat team), there have been times where an individual inside their home fired on intruders not knowing who they were, and were acquitted by a jury (or no charges brought up).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...hat-claimed-the-life-of-texas-police-officer/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ome-justice-in-texas-the-raid-on-henry-magee/

As I said, these sort of situations (raiding homes on bad info, lack of info, or notoriously bad info-giving informants) opens the door for not only innocent people getting killed while confronting someone inside their home (something many people on here have NO problem with, if it was a criminal), their pets, their family, but also officers (as we've seen). Requiring agencies to proverbially cross their Ts and dot their Is could limit these sort of bad raids. Giving them more leeway (as the ruling in this case) does nothing to limit these sort of potentially dangerous interactions.

Hijinx

SWAT raids should only be used in the most serious and proven cases.

Too many shootings of innocents have proven, that is not the case.

Judges seem willing to sign anything the police hand them to sign without looking at the evidence.

Put a pack of testosterone, and adrenaline charged men in military gear, arm them to the teeth, and turn them loose in the middle of the night , and bad things are sure to happen.