School/group trips to Europe and beyond?

Restless

Our 15-year-old daughter really wants to travel overseas. It is all she really thinks and talks about. We have looked into several organizations that take kids to other countries, but goodness, they are expensive!

When I was in high school, our Latin Club took a trip to Italy, and it was such a wonderful, once-in-a-lifetime trip. Do any schools around here do trips overseas? I wonder if you have to go to the school in order to get in on the trip. We have homeschooled our girls, so that could be a problem. There is no way we can afford to go as a family (otherwise I would jump at the chance!)

Just curious to see if such trips exist. Thanks!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My niece just went to Italy last month with a group through the charter school. She doesn't attend there. Not sure if they do it for older kids though. Call and ask for recommendations.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Back in the late 70s my high school ski club went to Italy. I don't know how much it cost since I wasn't going unless it was free.

I know they have some sort of teen ambassador groups that take teens to Europe. They are ultra pricey in my opinion. People to People charges $6,400 for a 10 day trip to France & Italy per person. You can do that trip DIY for less than half.

Restless

Back in the late 70s my high school ski club went to Italy. I don't know how much it cost since I wasn't going unless it was free.

I know they have some sort of teen ambassador groups that take teens to Europe. They are ultra pricey in my opinion. People to People charges $6,400 for a 10 day trip to France & Italy per person. You can do that trip DIY for less than half.

I did look into a few of those programs including People to People. You are right - they are ultra pricey! Can't afford that. Maybe we will come across a long-lost rich uncle somewhere. LOL. I will keep looking! Thanks,

blacklabman

I did a People to People while I was still federal civil service. That was to interact with our flight test counterparts in Russia and Ukraine. Turned out to be mostly sight seeing, but did get a chance to meet a gent named Mikoyan of MiG aircraft fame. Yes, expensive. Got to roam Red Square and other places my colleagues and I never imagined ever to getting to see. Went to Moscow, Rostov on Don, and Kiev. Had to fly Aeroflot in country. What an experience. Bought caviar for $4 a tin.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Our 15-year-old daughter really wants to travel overseas.

If she feels that way in a few years, she could always enlist in the service and get a guarantee assignment to Europe. Air Force & Army are mostly in Germany. The Navy has bases in Spain & Italy. All services have smaller bases in the UK, Holland, Turkey & Belgium. During the height of the cold war there were many more bases in Europe.

terbear1225

St. Mary's Ryken does international tours for students but they are enrolled students and families only.