If your GPS told you to drive off a bridge would you?

How horrible.

The Times of Northwest Indiana reports 51-year-old Zohra Hussain of Chicago died of burns after the car caught fire following the 37-foot plunge Saturday morning onto property owned by BP in East Chicago, Ind. Her 64-year-old husband, Iftikhar Hussain, survived.

Lake County Sheriff's Department spokeswoman Patricia Van Til said the road is marked with numerous barricades, including orange barrels and cones, large wood signs stating ROAD CLOSED with orange striped markings and concrete barricades across the road. The bridge over the Indiana Harbor and Ship Canal has been closed since 2009.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/03/3...follows-gps-directions-off/?intcmp=latestnews

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I got a GPS specifically so I could ignore it or tell it I know where I'm going and not have to suffer for it later.
Plus it's got an off button for being stuck in traffic...

Great gadget.

Hijinx

Blind faith in technology is a terrible thing.

If all those barricades and barrels, and cones were there to stop him it wasn't blind faith in technology, that got him, he must have been blind or deliberately drove off the bridge. Also it was at least 5 years since he updated his GPS. It sounds suspiscious to me.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If all those barricades and barrels, and cones were there to stop him it wasn't blind faith in technology, that got him, he must have been blind or deliberately drove off the bridge. Also it was at least 5 years since he updated his GPS. It sounds suspiscious to me.

This^^ They definitely weren't victims of technology, just good old fashioned stupid.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka

Did you have a link to another story that says he didn't update the GPS? I believe the GPS doesn't normally store maps and gets its information from the satellites. In which case, the company that owns the specific GPS service might want to check its malpractice insurance coverage limits.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
a confused foreigner ... did not understand the freaking signs

I'm surprised that the state didn't think to put up Jersey Walls at that intersection since it's been nearly five years since it was safe to drive there.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm surprised that the state didn't think to put up Jersey Walls at that intersection since it's been nearly five years since it was safe to drive there.

aHA! So it's Bush's fault - Economic Stimulus strikes again.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Did you have a link to another story that says he didn't update the GPS? I believe the GPS doesn't normally store maps and gets its information from the satellites. In which case, the company that owns the specific GPS service might want to check its malpractice insurance coverage limits.

Not even close. The "company" that owns the GPS is the U.S. Air Force. The signals that the satellites send out are used by your receiver. GPS does not send out maps.

The maps are stored in your device. Updated maps must be loaded into the device. Depending on the device, that can be through cellular service, download, or by purchasing an update CD/DVD.

MMDad

Lem Putt

The story said "concrete barriers." That usually means jersey walls.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
That means they are "foreigners?" There's about a 99.9% chance they know English better than you do.

well then I will go with my 1st assumption, Hussian is a stupid to be operating a motor vehicle