New Tractor

Went to the JD dealer in Dameron to look at new yard tractors. Mine has seen better days, not worth investing more money to fix.

:yikes: Holy carp. Sticker shock. I knew they were pricey, but holy carp. :yikes: But the guy was really helpful, stepped me thru the options. We talked about the Lowes/MTD versions and what to looks for and specifically why they were inferior. I knew they were, but he showed me where to look.

Good thing I padded the spring yard budget.

Vince

Bought a new JD from those folks last year. Barely fit in my shed. Hydrostatic drive, etc. Yes, they are pricey, but I figure it will outlast me.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Not yet. Maybe this week.

So, this is one of those "I saw the hottest babe walking down the street the other day..." threads???

"So, did you say high, talk to her, get a date???"

"Uh...no but, maybe next time..."

No one wants to hear about a tractor you looked at... :tap:

:lol:

stew77

I got a Lowes Mtd thing over 5 years ago, and have kept it in good shape. I have a Amish place off of 236 that I take it and they have done the oil change, belt change and kept it in good running condition for me. I have to charge the battery this year, but seems worth it, as I can make this one last. It is a hydrostatic one, and like I say, in very good shape. Works for me. Like everything, if you take care of it, it will last. YOU do have to perform the preventative maintenance on them and occasionally a minor repair (belt, tires etc.).

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I know that the JD in Dameron took our old non-working JD as a trade. It helped us get over the sticker shock.

Well, the old JD 265 started up pretty easily after sitting all winter. Had 3 flat tires. Found a puncture in one, fixed that. I'll worry about the other two later.

I think I'm gonna try an get one more season out of this one. Needs a pair of bags for the catcher desperately, has holes in various places of the mowing deck, but what the heck.

nutz

Well, the old JD 265 started up pretty easily after sitting all winter. Had 3 flat tires. Found a puncture in one, fixed that. I'll worry about the other two later.

I think I'm gonna try an get one more season out of this one. Needs a pair of bags for the catcher desperately, has holes in various places of the mowing deck, but what the heck.

But a new one will be so much better, especially if you opt for a zero turn :yay:

http://www.hustlerturf.com/products/Fastrak

General Lee

I don't know what you're looking for exactly in a JD, but check out Kubota. They have diesel mowers and their smallest BX models make great mowers. They have a 3 point hitch that is standard. Kubota's diesel's are phenomenal motors.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed

Check on ebay to see if you can find the baggers appropriate for your mower. I did that before and they were substantially cheaper than new ones.

Natron0915

Found myself in a similar situation last year. Went to the dealer, choked on the price, then the nice man at Lusby Motor's let me know he two used ones on the lot. Drove away with an 2009 X300 with bagger, with less than 100 hours on it for under $2K. Runs like a champ!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I bought my JD 770 from Carrroll's in 1996. Other than some rusted out sheetmetal needing new tires, it runs like the day I bought it. Tough Yanmar diesels in those. Mine has a 60" belly mower.

My 265 I bought with the house back in '94. At that time, it had 160 hours on it, not sure what year it was bought. Still runs well, but there are some pretty big holes in the 48" deck. I guess I could weld some sheet metal over them. It's definitely proven itself.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
till runs well, but there are some pretty big holes in the 48" deck. I guess I could weld some sheet metal over them. It's definitely proven itself.

Mine is on its third mower deck. The salt marsh that I call a "yard" eats mower decks. ;-(

Check on ebay to see if you can find the baggers appropriate for your mower. I did that before and they were substantially cheaper than new ones.

I was reading the manual to get part numbers, and came across a trick they recommend that saves me from having to buy new bags. Simply put a 33 gallon heavy duty garbage bag in the cloth bag. Simple idea, I never would have thought of that.