Need Septic Tank Help

Urbanite

Hi All, first let me state that I am absolutely a dummy when it comes to this subject, but I just found out that you are suppose to have your tank pumped out periodically - is this true and if yes could someone help me with the name of company that does that sort of thing, I do not even know where my septic tank is , that shows you how stupid I am :doh: on this subject, any help would greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Vince

You have to find the tank before you can get it pumped out. If you have a basement or crawlspace, find where the main trunk line exits through the wall to the outside. Your tank is usually about 8 to 10 foot out. How old is the house and did they put a stack on the tank for easy cleanout. Mine was built in 1987 so I had to have a stack put on the tank. Easier to dig up and clean out. If your tank hasn't been cleaned out in 5 years or more, get it done. If it fills up too much your field drains could get plugged and then you have a big problem.

tuffenuff2

I second the Copsey septic. Be careful though because there are two of them. Jimmy Gates.T/A Copsey's service inc. 301-884-4408. They will help you find your tanks. The first Copsey we used only told us about one of our tanks. The best Copsey explained to us that we have two tanks- one for solid- one for liquid. Super nice guy.

Usually the grass is greener over the tank. You can find it by poking a pointed metal rod down at least a foot.

H

Hodr

Also, depending on the size of the tank and how many people are in your household, you may not need to service it often (or ever). When I was still single I bought a fairly new house and had the septic inspected (was dry as a bone). I moved out 4 years later, and had it inspected again and the tank was maybe 10% full of waste solids. The inspector told me to throw a box of rid-x in in the toilet and forget about it.

The tank was sized for a 3 bedroom 5 person household, but as a single person I just didn't strain the system enough to ever need to have it pumped.

luvmygdaughters

I second the Copsey septic. Be careful though because there are two of them. Jimmy Gates.T/A Copsey's service inc. 301-884-4408. They will help you find your tanks. The first Copsey we used only told us about one of our tanks. The best Copsey explained to us that we have two tanks- one for solid- one for liquid. Super nice guy.

Agree about Jimmy and his wife Wendy who works in the office. Very nice people and dependable!!

Hannibal

Copsey's gets my vote. After having issues myself, I've become a damn-near expert in this field (pardon) and actually designed (to code/spec) the drain field I believe I was going to install to replace my failing one. Ultimately found out it wasn't a drain field issue (but more human error).

Anyhow, to locate:
1. Look in your basement/lowest level for your sanitary main. It should be the only pipe running up/down that is 4-6" in diameter. Depending on when your house was built, it is most likely cast iron or something similar. In theory, the main should exit your house directly outside that outside wall and is most likely in your backyard (but doesn't have to be).

2. Another way is to look for the sanitary vent on the roof. Same as #1, this is about where the main should exist the house.

3. Ground is soft. Grab a peice of long rebar and poke around in this area. Most tanks are 8-15' off the exterior of the house. Poke around in the ground until you hit something hard.

4. Rent/consider buying a metal finder. Run this around the edge of your house. It may pick up either the main itself or any metal lid on the tank.

It's worth investing the time/effort to locate the lid yourself. If you have them dig it up, your pump out cost will be much more expensive. Also bringing a backhoe into your hard may tear it up a good bit as the ground is really soft right now.

No matter who does, either purchase or build yourself a neck around the pump out opening so you can put on a new lid and bury. This way, at the next pump out, you simply scrap off some rock/dirt and pull the lids for access.

Restless

Something that no one has mentioned is that if you have trouble locating your septic tank, you can go to the Environmental Health office in Leonardtown (at the health department on Peabody Street). Any homes built in the county had to have a survey plat done of where everything was going, including the septic system. They have the plats there either on file or on microfish. If you look at any paperwork you may have, try to find when the house was built and who built it. Also look for a tax map, block, and parcel number on the paperwork. All this is helpful to the ladies that work there so they can find your plat. I know this because I used to work there.

You are wise to have it pumped out regularly. We have lived in our home for 27 years and have had the tank pumped every three years. It is totally worth spending the $150 or so dollars to clean it out, than to replace the whole system due to lack of pumping. I don't know what a new system costs now but 22 years ago it was about $6,000.

We use Downs Septic and think they do an excellent job and are very reasonable.

Roman

We had to have one of our septic tanks replaced a couple years ago. It's an above-ground tank which I think is now required. It cost well over $20,000.00

Hannibal

Something that no one has mentioned is that if you have trouble locating your septic tank, you can go to the Environmental Health office in Leonardtown (at the health department on Peabody Street). Any homes built in the county had to have a survey plat done of where everything was going, including the septic system. They have the plats there either on file or on microfish. If you look at any paperwork you may have, try to find when the house was built and who built it. Also look for a tax map, block, and parcel number on the paperwork. All this is helpful to the ladies that work there so they can find your plat. I know this because I used to work there.

You are wise to have it pumped out regularly. We have lived in our home for 27 years and have had the tank pumped every three years. It is totally worth spending the $150 or so dollars to clean it out, than to replace the whole system due to lack of pumping. I don't know what a new system costs now but 22 years ago it was about $6,000.

We use Downs Septic and think they do an excellent job and are very reasonable.

The use of the County maps depends on when the house was built. Mine was built in the 70's and the County had nothing that would help me out. I think it is required after a certain year (not sure which year) and hit/miss prior to that.

For a basic tank/drain field, current pricing isn't terribly much more. Just depends on the variables of your project (required length of drain field, location of tank, perc rates, required elevations/slope of drainage pipes, etc.). Doing it yourself (or using some friend labor) can really cut down on costs but you have to work with the County in terms of permitting.

As for the above ground/pump up systems, I don't think they are required (at least yet). I could be wrong but they are certainly becoming more prevelant and are the byproduct of the environmental restrictions I believe. It seems they want to increase the buffer between effluent discharge and ground water levels. Some of it's hocus pocus honestly IMO. If you have good ground/perc rates and have the footprint to handle to calculated volume your house produces, the traditional system should be adequate. Nothing makes people happeir than spending 3x their necessary cost while creating Mount Sewage in their side yard and incorporating numerous mechanical parts that are subject to maintenance and repair as they age or fail.

nutz

The use of the County maps depends on when the house was built. Mine was built in the 70's and the County had nothing that would help me out. I think it is required after a certain year (not sure which year) and hit/miss prior to that.

For a basic tank/drain field, current pricing isn't terribly much more. Just depends on the variables of your project (required length of drain field, location of tank, perc rates, required elevations/slope of drainage pipes, etc.). Doing it yourself (or using some friend labor) can really cut down on costs but you have to work with the County in terms of permitting.

As for the above ground/pump up systems, I don't think they are required (at least yet). I could be wrong but they are certainly becoming more prevelant and are the byproduct of the environmental restrictions I believe. It seems they want to increase the buffer between effluent discharge and ground water levels. Some of it's hocus pocus honestly IMO. If you have good ground/perc rates and have the footprint to handle to calculated volume your house produces, the traditional system should be adequate. Nothing makes people happeir than spending 3x their necessary cost while creating Mount Sewage in their side yard and incorporating numerous mechanical parts that are subject to maintenance and repair as they age or fail.

The 'maps" given to and kept on file by the county are good for a reference only. The installer's, up to this year, had a ton of leeway with the actual installation. No one from the state/county agency ever verified the two as being the same. SO, someone drew a picture and said this is how we are going to do it and the agent said "Ok, that meets are spec." Then, once on site, the installer says "damn, there's a big rock (oak tree, etc.) right here where i'm supposed to dig. No biggie, we'll just move over to accommodate the rock" and they did.

Doesn't sound like you've come into play with the new standards, BAT, best available technology. Once installed, you will need a "licensed professional" to maintain the system for you.
http://www.mde.maryland.gov/program...cuments/HB_12_Position_Statement_Final.JF.pdf

OldHillcrestGuy

Jimmy Gates, stay as far away as you can from the other Copsey. Daves Septic is good also, he's in Dentsville with a LaPlata address.

tuffenuff2

I totally agree!!! We called the non-Jimmy Gates Copsey for our first septic clean out then we called "The Jimmy Gates Copsey" by accident- we just remembered it was Copsey that we called the first time and lo and behold they were different!!! Night and day- Jimmy Gates was so helpful and explained to us about the two tanks and why hadn't the previous Copsey explained that and put a riser on our liquid tank? Anyway- just a recommendation from us.

Urbanite

I totally agree!!! We called the non-Jimmy Gates Copsey for our first septic clean out then we called "The Jimmy Gates Copsey" by accident- we just remembered it was Copsey that we called the first time and lo and behold they were different!!! Night and day- Jimmy Gates was so helpful and explained to us about the two tanks and why hadn't the previous Copsey explained that and put a riser on our liquid tank? Anyway- just a recommendation from us.

Want to say thanks to everyone who helped me, I did go with the "Jimmy" Copsey on the recommendations here, and was very happy, nice guys, showed up on time, and did a great job, Thanks to everyone I sincerely appreciate your help.

tuffenuff2

Want to say thanks to everyone who helped me, I did go with the "Jimmy" Copsey on the recommendations here, and was very happy, nice guys, showed up on time, and did a great job, Thanks to everyone I sincerely appreciate your help.

That's great! Glad you had a good experience.