Swimming Pool Water

aubriana

Just bought a house with an in ground 20,000 gallon gunite pool. It has some staining from algae and will most likely have to be drained/cleaned and then refilled.
Anybody have experience with getting a pool filled? Who can do it? How expensive is it?

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Just bought a house with an in ground 20,000 gallon gunite pool. It has some staining from algae and will most likely have to be drained/cleaned and then refilled.
Anybody have experience with getting a pool filled? Who can do it? How expensive is it?

Don't drain it, just keep putting chlorine in it, mine does this every year, never drained it and takes a few weeks, but will be crystal clear. Ace Hardware has 31/2 gallon jugs of chlorine cheap, buy a few of those and once a week dump an entire jug in the pool, run your filter for 24 hours, make sure you use shock and algaecide, by summer the pool will be beautiful. I also use the arm and hammer tablets you get at walmart, they help balance the ph so you don't have to use a lot of acid.

But if you have a salt pool, I have no idea, those seem to be the way people are going now.

Lots of reasons not to drain a pool.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100401143147AALjsR7

awpitt

Main Streeter

Shock chemicals work good too.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
The water in my pool is 5 years old, only drained it once to have it resurfaced. It's been downright nasty, could have been a gator on the bottom and I wouldn't have known it. Hard work and lots of chemicals will do the trick if it's really bad.

tuffenuff2

We take ours to Countywide in Mechanicsville. Just take in a water sample and tell them what colour the water is and what size and kind of pool and they will tell you exactly what you need to do to clear it.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
You may have top get the marcite redone. Our original lasted 23 years, which is pretty good. Had the pool re-marcited and re-tiled seven years ago. That is the only time in 30 years we had to drain the pool. Dump a hose or two in it and fill it up. Ours is 20,000 gallons as well. There will be a large water bill any way you cut it, unless you have a well.

Once you start filling, don't stop. Even a short pause can cause water markings on the new marcite.

Last edited:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
You may have top get the marcite redone. Our original lasted 23 years, which is pretty good. Had the pool re-marcited and re-tiled seven years ago. That is the only time in 30 years we had to drain the pool. Dump a hose or two in it and fill it up. Ours is 20,000 gallons as well. There will be a large water bill any way you cut it, unless you have a well.

Once you start filling, don't stop. Even a short pause can cause water markings on the new marcite.

Had mine done 5 years ago, still looks fabulous, sure hoping it lasts as long as yours, the warranty is 10 years, but the company that did it said it should last a lot longer.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Had mine done 5 years ago, still looks fabulous, sure hoping it lasts as long as yours, the warranty is 10 years, but the company that did it said it should last a lot longer.

It more than likely will iffn' you take care of the water, especially keeping the cyanuric acid below the recommended 100 ppm.

Down here, there should be really no reason to drain your pool except for repair.

Last edited:

nutz

We take ours to Countywide in Mechanicsville. Just take in a water sample and tell them what colour the water is and what size and kind of pool and they will tell you exactly what you need to do to clear it.

Screw Al. They were hired by us and never finished the job. After going and speaking with him personally and being promised it would be taken care of by the end of the week, it wasn't. The only thing I got from him was a letter saying how it wasn't their fault, blah, blah, blah. The small claims court judge agreed with me. That was before they opened the Mechanicsville store and I haven't found a need for him or another like him since.

Last edited:

nutz

On a more serious note, green to clean is something that works as advertised. I left the cover off one year and the pool was greener than the grass.
Assuming you have a chlorine or bromine based system, adding an automatic chlorinator was the best thing we did. If the Ph and chlorine levels are kept correct, vacuuming the dirt out is about all that's left to take care of the pool. I spend less than a hour per week on pool chores. If you'd prefer to use liquid Clorox, that is certainly an option.
The "pool chemical people" like Countywide will have you buying all kinds of stuff you really don't need. They need you, not the other way around.

http://www.green-to-clean.com/FAQ.html
http://www.hayward-pool.com/shop/en/pools/res-above-ground/res-white-goods-abg/chlorine
http://www.swimmingpool.com/maintenance
http://cloroxpool.com/

tuffenuff2

Screw Al. They were hired by us and never finished the job. After going and speaking with him personally and being promised it would be taken care of by the end of the week, it wasn't. The only thing I got from him was a letter saying how it wasn't their fault, blah, blah, blah. The small claims court judge agreed with me. That was before they opened the Mechanicsville store and I haven't found a need for him or another like him since.

I have no idea who Al is!!!! When I take my water in I only ever see Lisa and her helpers and she has always been super nice and helpful.

bulldog

I doubt that very much.

Sounds to me like you simply have a problem with anyone who runs a business that is dedicated to pools and maintenance. It's great that you've taken the time to learn about pool water chemistry and can do it all yourself. I don't have any desire at all to do that so I rely on a professional who has the training, knowledge and equipment (tester) to put me on the right track. I've never had April try to over-sell me and have always been very satisfied with the service.

nutz

Sounds to me like you simply have a problem with anyone who runs a business that is dedicated to pools and maintenance. It's great that you've taken the time to learn about pool water chemistry and can do it all yourself. I don't have any desire at all to do that so I rely on a professional who has the training, knowledge and equipment (tester) to put me on the right track. I've never had April try to over-sell me and have always been very satisfied with the service.

April's was unable to help me with the purchase of some new pumps. Pool water chemistry is not rocket science, if you are happy giving your money to them or anyone, help yourself. Professionals, no. Got money from somewhere to start a business, yes. I fully support local businesses whenever possible. I will go out of my way to shop at "mom and pop" places. When I do need pool supplies locally, I will go to McConnells. Don't feel free to opine about me and what I do or don't do.

Last edited:

bulldog

April's was unable to help me with the purchase of some new pumps. Pool water chemistry is not rocket science, if you are happy giving your money to them or anyone, help yourself. Professionals, no. Got money from somewhere to start a business, yes. I fully support local businesses whenever possible. I will go out of my way to shop at "mom and pop" places. When I do need pool supplies locally, I will go to McConnells. Don't feel free to opine about me and what I do or don't do.

Until you shell out the money to purchase SOMD.com and restrict me from the site or track me down and kick my ass, I'll opine on whatever I damn well please.

April could not help you with a pump so that puts them on the radar as not being professional in your book. Pretty short sighted, but that's your choice. I find them to be very helpful and professional...which is why their store does such a good business.

I called McConnell's when we were researching pools and found them to be arrogant and not very helpful, but if that's your bag, so be it.

You have a happy Easter.

tuffenuff2

There is no fee at all to have water tested at Countywide. We even took a sample of our well water to test for basic stuff. I guess they make their money by selling the chemicals needed to clean or maintain pool/hot tub.

bulldog

There is no fee at all to have water tested at Countywide. We even took a sample of our well water to test for basic stuff. I guess they make their money by selling the chemicals needed to clean or maintain pool/hot tub.

Pretty standard industry practice. As it should be.